EOFY 2015 shipment or rocket motors and parts

This is for all Australian Rocketry orders to RCS/Aerotech, PML, LOC/Precision, Always Ready Rocketry, G-Wiz Partners, Cesaroni pro-X, Animal Motor Works, Altus Metrum

Moderator: Moderators

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Re: EOFY 2015 shipment or rocket motors and parts

Postby Lister » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:01 pm

drew wrote:
SpaceManMat wrote:No hibernation, QLD fly 12 months a year.

Yea yea, rub it in Queenslanda... :evil:

+1!

What launches do qrs have around new years.. thinking of coming up for my HPR fix.. getting itchy lol.

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:58 pm

Next years calendar is not out as of yet but generally speaking we launch on the second Sunday of every month. :)

Keep in mind that December and January launches are hot as......being mid summer.

You would be more than welcome indeed ! 8)
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:18 pm

Wouldnt be much of an aussie if i couldnt handle the heat ;)

So will my tripolli L1 be recognised there.. and if I do my L2 up there will it be recognised at tripolli? And can you point me to any permits etc I would need to organise? Dont know if I will be driving up or flying.. if I drive I have the caravan/Mobile RAG lab that I can bring my rockets up in.. what are the airlines like with transporting rockets? Get damaged much, overly complicated laws make it stupidly hard? also if I fly up.. who gonna put me up and give me a lift out there.. from what I can tell its out in wolf creek country and a bit far to catch a cab :lol:

Do you guys have any special or significant launches coming up?

When I was out recovering my rocket the other day a ute drove passed and swerved while looking at me n smashed my nikon so um saving for a new one *sigh* hopefully I can get it before I get up there.. also hoping to have my starbug prototype ready by xmas so that might come with me :D

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:43 pm

Hi Lister, Blake is a Prefect for Tripoli so no problem there. He is also the best to advice what you need to do and how it works.

Your TRA is indeed recognized here as is AMRS ! I have been with TRA for 8 years now and I did all my certs before AMRS came into being so all good.

QRS holds 3 Open Day Launches a year, meaning these are advertised through various media. March, July and October are the months. We normally have between 200-500 people turn up from 8.30-12.30 on these days to see the rockets in action. Our biggest crowd by far was back in 2009 when close to 3000 people turned up. Thanks to a popular TV program which showed a good segment of us doing what we do.

I have no doubt we can arrange a place for you to stay while here.

As far as bringing rockets via airplane .....many rocketeers ( Blake, Nic and Dave Couzens just to name few) have a lot of experience in this matter so they can help better than I on this matter.

The Open Day launches are naturally more active and more launches take place than normal monthly club launches. Especially in summer months number of members aren't as active as in other seasons.

Hope some of this helps.

Ari
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:07 pm

Lister wrote:what are the airlines like with transporting rockets? Get damaged much, overly complicated laws make it stupidly hard?

Rockets are fine on airplanes as they're realistically only bits of fiberglass, carbon fiber, and/or bits of metal. Motors, ematches, black powder, and lipos are all NOT fine for taking on airplanes. Those you would need to mail (like lipos for instance) or have organised for you at your destination (like motors, bp, and ematches).

Pro tip, DO NOT tell the airline staff that you're checking a rocket as one of your checked bags. In fact, I'd recommend not saying the r word at all when you're checking in. If they ask pointedly you will need to disclose what's in the box BUT under no circumstances should you disclose this information willingly without prompting. If you have someone travelling with you I recommend coaching them up as well. It's not illegal or even the least bit dangerous to check a box containing a tube of fiberglass with some bits glued to it but trust me, the look on the airline staffs face when someone blurts out "oh, there's a rocket in that box" is not something you want to see. Trust me, I speak from experience...

And if your rocket gets damaged from being a checked item on an airplane it's arguable that you shouldn't fly it in the first place. :wink:
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 26,850ft - L935 - THUNDA 2019
Max V - 3,004 ft/s, ~Mach 2.67 - L935 - THUNDA 2019

vance2loud
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby vance2loud » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:16 pm

The last time I flew I let the staff know that I had "model rockets" in there, I possibly won't next time but I had no hassles. I think the word model makes a big difference to Airline security staff
The one thing that I would do again if flying with rockets in my checked luggage is leave a note inside the case explaining what is actually in there and more importantly what isn't.
It is also a good idea to secure your bag/case with something easily replaced (ie cable ties) and supply a few stuck to the note so security can see that you were expecting it to be resealed in the event that they had to open it.
TRA #15165 AMRS #50
I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't. - Unknown
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
- Thomas Alva Edison

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:25 pm

vance2loud wrote:The last time I flew I let the staff know that I had "model rockets" in there, I possibly won't next time but I had no hassles.

I take it you were departing from Tassie? :lol:

I flew into LAX for Balls 22 on the morning of September 11th. Got asked what was in the box at security, I told them "a rocket". TSA was not impressed.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 26,850ft - L935 - THUNDA 2019
Max V - 3,004 ft/s, ~Mach 2.67 - L935 - THUNDA 2019

vance2loud
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby vance2loud » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:40 pm

No, last flight was leaving Melbourne heading back, I did explicitly mention that the cases were all empty and that there was no propellant, It is hard to fit a minie magg, a nuke pro and a leviathan into a suitcase so they would have had fun trying to repack it if they had gone through it.
I imagine flying in or out of America would be a whole different story, some of the stories I've heard about the TSA would have me worried about eating chilli just in-case they thought I was smuggling propellant.
Years ago it wasn't so bad, I bought a rocket starter pack from Cape Canaveral which included 3 Estes motors and I flew back to Australia with that in my luggage. Admittedly that was quite a few years ago.
TRA #15165 AMRS #50
I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't. - Unknown
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
- Thomas Alva Edison

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:44 pm

I always tell the stewardesses that I've got a rocket in my pocket 8)

But seriously, QRS launches are awesome, great bunch of guys. You'll have a great time :D
Me and my rockets run on Moonshine.

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:54 pm

jase wrote:I always tell the stewardesses that I've got a rocket in my pocket 8)

But seriously, QRS launches are awesome, great bunch of guys. You'll have a great time :D

that why they call you pocket rocket ;)

yeah it looks like a blast.. might have to get my MD's all finished to put some vic records on the board :) what better way to spend a holiday.. might even get my starbug done by then 8)

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Postby CATO » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:14 am

Just remember to remove the LiPo's (if you utilise them) from the rocket, these MUST NOT be in checked luggage, the terminals MUST be taped, and I place them in a flame proof bag (from HobbyKing), I then keep them with me in the cabin, they MUST be declared at security checkin, you WILL be questioned about them, but if you do your home work and read up on this you will see that this is allowed.

As was mentioned, BP, Motors, e-matches are a no no....
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3 RSO
TRA 07459 L3

Impulse:
2019: 7,898 Ns (54% M)
Ns 18: 14,767; Ns 17: 5,973; 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: M1.14

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:02 am

Just wanted to chime in here as there seems to be a number of topics happening under this thread:

SHIPMENT DUE LATE 2015
This is my mistake on the date as it should have read Wed 30 SEPTEMBER. Catch 22 is there is a few delays with the shipment and whilst the cut-offs have technically passed, Fri 30 October will be the absolute last opportunity to add something to this container (and soak up any last savings with the falling dollar).

AUSTRALIAN ROCKETRY AVAILABILITY
AusRocketry is operational 12 months a year. Fortunately in QLD we do launch every month and additionally, there is more to rocketry than just the hobby world.

FLYING AT QRS (and any AMRS launch site)
If you are not aware, there is a formal agreement being drafted between TRA and AMRS at the moment, similar to what AMRS already has with other internationally groups for recognition with HPR certification, so everything should be OK for your certification. In saying that, you MUST be a member of AMRS (or affiliated club eg. QRS) as TRA does not hold suitable insurance down here. (This is not new news though).

TRAVELLING WITH ROCKETS
Here is one of the biggest trade secrets that I can share with you all and take it from the Dutch crew, if they followed this very simple step they may have not been stuck with no rockets at Balls... Swallow your ego, do not draw attention to what you have and simply call them 'MODEL AIRCRAFT'... guess what, all of a sudden the misconception of what we do is immediately greatly reduced. Note that there is NO fuel with them and if they poke and prod to get it out of you, most likely you have been talking to them for some time and they know everything about the event you are headed to.

TRAVELLING WITH MOTORS (and other DG items)
DON'T DO IT!
Whilst there are some people who have got away with carrying a pack of motors on a flight, if you are caught, YOU ARE CARRYING EXPLOSIVES ON A PASSENGER AIRCRAFT! If something goes wrong, well... I feel sorry for everyone else on board. This is why Australia Post do not carry DG, it is a risk when it goes on an aircraft if it is not correctly identified etc.
Besides, why would you need to try and travel with anything when coming to QLD, this is where it all comes from in the first place.

Hope that covers off everything, happy to answer any questions
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:24 am

kopius wrote:Just wanted to chime in here as there seems to be a number of topics happening under this thread:

SHIPMENT DUE LATE 2015
This is my mistake on the date as it should have read Wed 30 SEPTEMBER. Catch 22 is there is a few delays with the shipment and whilst the cut-offs have technically passed, Fri 30 October will be the absolute last opportunity to add something to this container (and soak up any last savings with the falling dollar).

AUSTRALIAN ROCKETRY AVAILABILITY
AusRocketry is operational 12 months a year. Fortunately in QLD we do launch every month and additionally, there is more to rocketry than just the hobby world.

FLYING AT QRS (and any AMRS launch site)
If you are not aware, there is a formal agreement being drafted between TRA and AMRS at the moment, similar to what AMRS already has with other internationally groups for recognition with HPR certification, so everything should be OK for your certification. In saying that, you MUST be a member of AMRS (or affiliated club eg. QRS) as TRA does not hold suitable insurance down here. (This is not new news though).

TRAVELLING WITH ROCKETS
Here is one of the biggest trade secrets that I can share with you all and take it from the Dutch crew, if they followed this very simple step they may have not been stuck with no rockets at Balls... Swallow your ego, do not draw attention to what you have and simply call them 'MODEL AIRCRAFT'... guess what, all of a sudden the misconception of what we do is immediately greatly reduced. Note that there is NO fuel with them and if they poke and prod to get it out of you, most likely you have been talking to them for some time and they know everything about the event you are headed to.

TRAVELLING WITH MOTORS (and other DG items)
DON'T DO IT!
Whilst there are some people who have got away with carrying a pack of motors on a flight, if you are caught, YOU ARE CARRYING EXPLOSIVES ON A PASSENGER AIRCRAFT! If something goes wrong, well... I feel sorry for everyone else on board. This is why Australia Post do not carry DG, it is a risk when it goes on an aircraft if it is not correctly identified etc.
Besides, why would you need to try and travel with anything when coming to QLD, this is where it all comes from in the first place.

Hope that covers off everything, happy to answer any questions

Thanks mate, thats cleared a bit up... what about explosives licenses for using HPR motors in QLD, will i need to obtain that now so it can be approved by the time i get there? or am i good without one for the few flights im gonna do?

as for propellant on aircraft i wont be doing that.. took a cap gun on a domestic flight and almost got arrested.. i was 7 so can only imagine the nightmare it would be post 9.11... plus im coming to qld.. why would i need to bring my own motors?? ill enjoy not paying DG shipping for it :D

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:07 pm

Hi all, just an update on this shipment. While the shipment should have arrived about 4 weeks ago, after a bunch of typical delays in the USA (gotta love explosives logistics), the container is on the water and due in Australia the first week of January.

I will let everyone know once it has arrived and the inventory levels will be updated online.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Postby CATO » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:54 pm

:-)
"In thrust we trust"