Do interstate orders always take 1 week to deliver?

This is for all Australian Rocketry orders to RCS/Aerotech, PML, LOC/Precision, Always Ready Rocketry, G-Wiz Partners, Cesaroni pro-X, Animal Motor Works, Altus Metrum

Moderator: Moderators

lucifer911
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Do interstate orders always take 1 week to deliver?

Postby lucifer911 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:01 pm

Hi guys,
I placed my order on Monday and so far here are the tracking details:

Wed 12 Aug 2015 23:37 Processed through Australia Post facility CHULLORA NSW

Tue 11 Aug 2015 16:31 Received by Australia Post JIMBOOMBA QLD

My order is being sent to Adelaide. Why does it always seem to take a while?
does customs scan each package sent from Aus Rocketry to make sure there are no flammables?

Viking
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Re: Do interstate orders always take 1 week to deliver?

Postby Viking » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:23 pm

Probably just good old Aussie Post and their typical speedy service.
I don't think customs looks at domestic packages?

I had a package take three weeks earlier this year, it was sent from Sydney and then the tracking showed 'Received' in Wollongong.
Another two weeks with no changed on the tracking, it turned up here in Perth.

Sad to say that almost every package I get from overseas arrives faster than anything sent within Australia.
Simon
WARS #24 / AMRS #54 L2

lucifer911
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby lucifer911 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:44 pm

yeah Viking..
I didn't order any flammable materials so I thought the order would turn up quicker.
I was thinking maybe customs checks to see if any flammables are being sent with non specified flammable orders. That would explain the delay I guess..

I have also wondered what would happen if you tried to order the motors without paying the explosives declaration fee?

Edit: funny I placed an order to have a 808 keychain camera being sent from China. Guess it will be a competition to see which order turns up quicker haha...

Viking
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Viking » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:32 pm

lucifer911 wrote:I have also wondered what would happen if you tried to order the motors without paying the explosives declaration fee?

The order wouldn't be processed, you'd get an email requesting extra funds to be paid to cover the DG freight.
Simon
WARS #24 / AMRS #54 L2

lucifer911
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby lucifer911 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:56 pm

oh ok so I assume all packages are run through a detector device to see if it contains anything flammable?

Viking
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Viking » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:35 pm

No idea, but I doubt it. My reply was based on the seller. No reputable seller would risk their business sending Dangerous Goods thru regular post, hence they would request extra funds for the DG freight cost.
Simon
WARS #24 / AMRS #54 L2

lucifer911
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby lucifer911 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:50 pm

ok understood thanks.
I will just assume its because Australia Post is incompetent.

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:36 pm

Brisbane had 2 public holidays this week so the mail system out of QLD is probably a bit crazy, and yes AustPost is completely incompetent :evil:

You can use this https://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/delivery-times.html?ilink=tools-closed-deliv-times to work out just how incompetent they are.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:55 pm

Have they got worse in the last few years? I remember in Darwin if you paid for next day express it would arrive the same time as regular which was 3 days I think. For some reason a capital city was too remote for them.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:22 pm

SpaceManMat wrote:Have they got worse in the last few years? I remember in Darwin if you paid for next day express it would arrive the same time as regular which was 3 days I think. For some reason a capital city was too remote for them.

Yeah Matt. The link that I posted above calculates 7-8 days from Browns Plains, QLD to me in Drouin, Vic for standard parcel post. I'm not in the National Express Post network but the towns on either side of me are. If I really need something in a hurry it is better to buy a motor and pay a bit for HZ because Toll will get it to me in 3 days. Go figure.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:31 pm

Like I said in the email It usually takes a week or 5 full business days.. so it will be there monday tuesday next week.. dont stress mate customs rarely chsck internal packagez and I have had confiscated packages from iverseas but that was from an xray showing "dangerous goods" up.. bunch of helicopter rotors that were metal were apparently daggers lol.

So dont stress mate. You will get it soon. If you want fast delivery go for express postage though its normally twice the price. I ordered a couple of kits that were posted tuesday from ausrocketry with express postage and arrived on thursday and im in the outskirts of but f**k nowhere.

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Postby CATO » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:37 am

Gents,

There has been a public holiday in QLD due to the Royal Queensland Show AKA EKKA https://www.ekka.com.au/ekka-information/ekka-dates-2015-2019/, postage for the past week will have been a nightmare as this is the busiest postal time of the year in QLD...
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3
TRA 07459 L3

Impulse:
2018: 14,767 Ns (44% N)
Ns 17: 5,973; 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: 1.14M

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:26 pm

I thought I would chime in just for some clarity. Firstly, delays to SA are unfortunately happen more than anyone would like. This is due to a number of constraints that exist with legislation (when shipping dangerous goods) ad just generally postal services for inert items such as what you are talking about. As mentioned by a few people, last week is actually the worst week for shipping in QLD all year with the multiple public holidays due to the EKKA.

One thing that needs to be highlighted, Customs do not have anything to do with domestic shipments. Customs and Quarantine are Australia's border protection and monitor items entering and leaving the country. It is not advised to publicly insult Customs or other Government departments, especially if they do not have anything to do with the process.

As for the checking of packages, they may be inspected if there something suspicious is suspected. In saying that, Australian Rocketry Pty Ltd has a very strong relationship with all of its carriers and has built a good reputation due to its knowledge of; and ability to comply with regulations and rules. Viking said it very well:
"No reputable seller would risk their business sending Dangerous Goods thru regular post, hence they would request extra funds for the DG freight cost."
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

lucifer911
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby lucifer911 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:35 am

just letting you guys know my package (no explosives) arrived yesterday morning.
So all up it took just under a week not including the time to process the order.

Return to “Australian Rocketry”