Jolly Logic Chute Release now available

This is for all Australian Rocketry orders to RCS/Aerotech, PML, LOC/Precision, Always Ready Rocketry, G-Wiz Partners, Cesaroni pro-X, Animal Motor Works, Altus Metrum

Moderator: Moderators

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Jolly Logic Chute Release now available

Postby kopius » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:20 am

Jolly Logic's much anticipated 'Chute Release' is now available online at http://ausrocketry.com.au/electronics/altimeters.html

Chute Release is a small electronic device that holds your rocket parachute closed until it drops to an altitude that you choose. This is great for windy days and small fields when normally your rocket would drift too far while descending under parachute.

Simply wrap the elastic around your folded parachute and snap it into the other side of the release, then set the altitude from 100 to 1000 feet (30-300 meters) and you are ready for launch.
Attachments
ChuteReleaseCat800.jpg
Jolly Logic Chute Release
ChuteReleaseCat800.jpg (45.29 KiB) Viewed 2241 times
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Re: Jolly Logic Chute Release now available

Postby OverTheTop » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:30 am

Looks like a neat idea :D
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Raaahbin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Raaahbin » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:27 am

I flew one of these for the first time today, and I have to say it is absolutely brilliant. I've always been a "motor eject" kind of guy, but pushing into I & J motor territory I've been feeling a bit stuck between the choice of "going to break a fin joint" or "going to walk for miles". No more! Flew my Minie Magg today with a 44" LOC Angel chute securely wrapped with a chute release, small drogue chute attached to the nose cone (just to prevent the rocket being dragged downward too fast by the nose cone weight). Came down nice and quickly from a ~3200' apogee (in fairly high winds), then unfurled the 44" a few hundred feet above the ground.

A lovely soft landing, only slightly marred by the fact that the huge chute caught enough wind once the rocket was on the ground to take it for several hundred metres worth of field-ploughing.

I have no hesitation in recommending the Chute Release to anyone who wants to avoid the full dual deploy rigmarole in level 1 & 2 HPR flights, while still reaping the benefits of minimal drift and soft landings. But as one of my fellow rocketeers discovered today, the Chute Release still only works if your original ejection works. And don't forget to turn it on (I nearly did - thank goodness for checklists).
TRA L2 | AMRS L2
TRA #13936
MARS #28

Total Impulse (Ns):
2017: 2826 (55% L)
2016: 2006 (78% K)
2015: 2809 (55% L)
2014: 1565 (61% K)

lucifer911
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby lucifer911 » Tue May 31, 2016 7:33 pm

Hi Blake and others..

I have never used anything like this before as I'm still new to HPR (just got my L1) I would like my rockets even my LPRs to land much closer to launch pad. Does the ejection charge harm this device and do I need to use more wadding than normal to protect it?

So its basically an altimeter without a display screen correct?

Raaahbin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Raaahbin » Tue May 31, 2016 8:20 pm

It's an altimeter without a display screen, without any capability of logging or downloading data, and without any connection to an igniter... so it's really a very single-purpose altimeter - to delay the opening of your chute. The release is in the socket that the pin at the end of the elastic band goes into - just wrap the elastic around the chute and plug the pin into the socket. Follow instructions carefully to ensure the chute release is properly secured to the shroud lines or shock cord, and to make sure that it is turned on and ready to fly.

I found treating it just like part of the chute is fine: it seems to be fairly durable in construction, but I wouldn't want to scorch it or coat it with black powder residue. I always use wadding as if it's free - if an extra few squares (or another handful of dog barf) will prevent even a minor scorch on the chute, chuck it in.

I've not heard of anyone damaging one with the ejection charge, but I have heard of failures to secure the chute release (resulting in the chute release falling away from the rocket when it releases), failure to turn it on (and therefore it never opens), and failure to get the chute out of the body tube in the first place (this is a greater risk if you are working with a narrow diameter rocket - a BT-60 is marginal, and anything smaller is probably too tight for a chute release).
TRA L2 | AMRS L2
TRA #13936
MARS #28

Total Impulse (Ns):

lucifer911
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby lucifer911 » Tue May 31, 2016 8:49 pm

Thanks Raaahbin,

I do happen to fly low diameter BT-60 LPR rockets but have lost so many rockets with a camera in a tree now I am on the verge of giving up on parachute recoveries altogether and doing 100% streamer recovery. On my L1 launch for example my rocket went about 4,800 feet in altitude and the wind took it for a ride at least 400m from launch pad. This is way too far for my liking.. and despite 20 people watching it still landed out of sight.

The parachutes in the BT-60 rockets I use are small so I'm kind of hoping they will still eject. It's better if a parachute is loosely packed into the tube rather than tightly packed isn't it?

Raaahbin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Raaahbin » Tue May 31, 2016 9:33 pm

Streamers are excellent - the first club launch I went to here someone had an Aerotech Initiator on streamer recovery... worked pretty well, although I think they'd done something to strengthen the fins! Chute or streamer, you have to find your preferred balance between how far you have to walk to pick it up, and the chances of finding it undamaged when you get there.

The main reason I plan to use the chute release on my bigger rockets is that all my MPR/HPR kits on stock chutes (LOC IV, Minie Magg, Initiator) have suffered fin or fin attachment point damage on landing, and I've got tired of re-glueing the joints... so the primary goal is being able to carry a bigger chute, and the secondary goal is to get the rocket back closer to the pad. With the chute release, that means I can simply choose the largest chute that will fit in the rocket in question (the LOC kits share a 44" angel chute, and the Initiator gets a 36" hand-me-down from the Minie Magg... probably a similar deal for the PML kits I'm finishing at the moment).

With regard to chute packing, the crucial thing is that it can come out of the tube easily: with a decent amount of wadding behind it, the ejection charge should push it all right, but you need to be certain that the chute+chute release combo isn't too tight against the walls of the body tube. I aim for quite a tight pack, because if the chute bundle is compact, there won't be much friction and it will virtually fall out of the tube as soon as the nose cone comes off. Bear in mind that when the chute release opens, there's quite a bit of air rushing past the chute bundle to pull it open - I had mine set to 400', and the chute was completely open by about 300'.

On the same day that I had that perfect first flight with the chute release in my Minie Magg, another member of the club had a chute stay stuck in the tube, resulting in chuteless recovery (close to the pad, but was going to need a lot of work before it flew again). The chute release itself had functioned perfectly as far as he could tell - it was certainly released when he pulled it out of the tube - but it was all rather academic with the body tube itself keeping the chute closed.
TRA L2 | AMRS L2
TRA #13936
MARS #28

Total Impulse (Ns):

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Tue May 31, 2016 9:44 pm

lucifer911 wrote:Hi Blake and others..

I have never used anything like this before as I'm still new to HPR (just got my L1) I would like my rockets even my LPRs to land much closer to launch pad. Does the ejection charge harm this device and do I need to use more wadding than normal to protect it?

So its basically an altimeter without a display screen correct?

Here is a youtube video on how to use the chute release.

It looks like it is simlar in construction to the Altimeter 1-3 which are tough, but I would still give it a wipe after use to get any ejection charge residue off it. You can find more info on the jolly logic website https://www.jollylogic.com/products/chuterelease/

And as with any new equipment ground test till you are 100% happy with it, because it will only work worse when it is in the air.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:20 am

New Jolly Logic stock has just arrived, we have plenty of Altimeters and Chute Releases available just in time for AYRC
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Raaahbin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Raaahbin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:56 am

That's the graph from the latest flight of my Aerotech Initiator on a G80-10T with the 36" chute, chute release set to 300'.

Love the chute release - a brilliant piece of kit.
TRA L2 | AMRS L2
TRA #13936
MARS #28

Total Impulse (Ns):

Return to “Australian Rocketry”