MFR or 56er or Mirrabooka or Black and Gold or...

This is for all Australian Rocketry orders to RCS/Aerotech, PML, LOC/Precision, Always Ready Rocketry, G-Wiz Partners, Cesaroni pro-X, Animal Motor Works, Altus Metrum

Moderator: Moderators

captainfur
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

MFR or 56er or Mirrabooka or Black and Gold or...

Postby captainfur » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:25 pm

Hi,

I used to build rockets back in the 1970's.

I am going on a motorcycle ride to Woomera with the same friend I used to build them with so thought it would be good to build a rocket (with my daughter) for the trip and build it along with another one for my daughter.

So looking at C size motors and wanting to go as big as possible while still being able to pack it on a motorcycle. I also want to paint it myself.

I was thinking maybe a MFR or 56er or Mirrabooka or Black and Gold but they all seem very similar to each other - which would you reccomend? Or would you sugest a different one? Looking at buying 2 so could go for 2 different ones.

Cheers

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Re: MFR or 56er or Mirrabooka or Black and Gold or...

Postby Lister » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:35 pm

I would suggest the ballistic chicken from Krusty, they are very cool and unique. he has a section in vendors called I Build Rockets.

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:50 pm

G'day Capt. Fur and welcome to the Forum.

The kits that you mentioned are great little kits to get re-started in building model rockets. One of the advantages of the Black and Gold package is that it comes with everything that you need to get your model in the air, just make sure you have read and understand the information on the AusRocketry website regarding where you can fly and the safety codes. You are correct that these kits are similar-ish in their dimensions, however this is largely dictated by the aerodynamics that is required for a safe and stable flight, and you will find that most beginner kits are similar. The pre-slotted air-frames make assembly much easier. You can paint you rockets whatever you want, however since you are travelling to Woomera you might want to paint them to match the markings for some of the rockets that were launched from there such as the Skylark. What ever you decide I'm sure you will have a heap of fun.

Oh and a lot of the forum members are either on their way to, or about to travel to Western Australia for the Williams "Wildfire" Westernationals 2016, which is this year's national launch event, so if you ask a question over the weekend and don't get a reply straight away it is because we are out flying rockets :D

Marty
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Postby CATO » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:22 am

martymonsta wrote:G'day Capt. Fur and welcome to the Forum.

+1 Welcome to the forum....
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3
TRA 07459 L3

Impulse:
2018: 7,455 Ns (46% M)
Ns 17: 5,973; 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: 1.14M

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:37 pm

Welcome to the forums. I take it you're going to see the outdoor display and museum? Make sure you give yourself plenty of time, there's a lot to see.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

captainfur
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby captainfur » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:28 pm

Thanks for the replies and welcome. We will be spending only one night in Woomera and so will have limited time.

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:40 pm

CaptainFur, I sent you a Private Message (inbox is at the top left of the page) with the details on the Tripolli Australia high power launch site which is up near Bendigo. We also launch low and mid power rockets and have a ceiling of 25,000ft at Serpentine. Next launch is scheduled for the 19th of June :wink:

Cheers, Luke.

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:44 pm

captainfur wrote:Hi,

I used to build rockets back in the 1970's.

I am going on a motorcycle ride to Woomera with the same friend I used to build them with so thought it would be good to build a rocket (with my daughter) for the trip and build it along with another one for my daughter.

So looking at C size motors and wanting to go as big as possible while still being able to pack it on a motorcycle. I also want to paint it myself.

I was thinking maybe a MFR or 56er or Mirrabooka or Black and Gold but they all seem very similar to each other - which would you reccomend? Or would you sugest a different one? Looking at buying 2 so could go for 2 different ones.

Cheers

Hi captainfur,

Sounds like an exciting adventure. Sorry I wasn't able to reply earlier, however just sitting in Perth airport after having an 'explosive' time at Williams Wildfire Westernationals 2016.

Any of the kits would be fine, they are all fairly similar, but the packages (starter sets) are the best way to go as you will get almost everything needed to fly, you just need to add 4 x AA batteries, some glue and if you like paint.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, or feel free to email us: info@ausrocketry.com.au

Cheers,

Blake
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Return to “Australian Rocketry”