cairns rocketry

We are looking for other exisiting Rocketry Clubs in Australia??

Moderator: Moderators

Mossed72
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Re: cairns rocketry

Postby Mossed72 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:38 am

Just enquiring as to how the idea of a Cairns rocketry is going as I live on the Atherton tablelands not too far away from Cairns. So would be great if this could go ahead.
Cheers Amos

matthew
Cairns...no where near that

Postby matthew » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:23 pm

Gidday Amos. Welcome to the forum. :)

Truth be told, I think the best bet would be a launch site on the Tablelands as there's more open farmland. Sadly, a lot of it is sugar cane, which is impossible to retrieve a rocket from (ask me how I know). I usually launch LPR at a soccer ground near me, but it's not really suitable for much bigger than B motors. I haven't really bothered chasing a bigger field up there as I struggle to find spare time as it is, let alone traipsing up there and back to launch by myself. If you'd like to work together to get something happening, count me in. We can swap contact details via PM if you like.
Matthew Small
AMRS #33 L3
TRA #11466 L3
QRS #133

http://australianrocketry.org

joeman
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby joeman » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:43 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm in Cairns. Did you guys catch up? Anything rocketwise happening in Cairns?

I've been working on an idea for a Hybrid Rocket.

Check out a few videos I did....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP6huPcbodg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF7u9gdvDyE

I'd be keen on working, sharing things, enjoying this hobby with others

I was planning on doing a few smaller rockets in meantime. Get myself up to speed on things and share the interest with my kids.

Matthew, Amos, Did you guys catch up? If not, want to catch up and have a chat...share all things rockets?

Cheers

Joe
L1 - Callisto (H133) - 11-Jan-2016

joeman
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby joeman » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:16 pm

I've just e-mailed the Cairns Council about possible launch sites.

If they are able to provide a few possiblities, I'll then check out CASA regulations and then put a call in with CASA to confirm they have no objections.

I'll share the discussions with others here, so they don't have to go through these problems.

joeman
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby joeman » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:39 pm

I'm on IRC Chat channel #cairns on freenode if anyone wants to chat about anything rockets in Cairns (for more realtime chat). Otherwise, probably best to msg here....so others benefit from discussions.

matthew

Postby matthew » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:15 pm

Gidday Joe. Welcome to the forum. Sorry about the late reply - everyone (including me) is getting ready to head off to Thunda. We leave tomorrow morning. We'll catch up when I get back in a couple of weeks. Biggest issue up here is a launch site. If we want to do HPR, we'll need to head west. Probably out around Dimbulah way would be our best chance at a reasonable waiver. In which case, the tablelands councils would be the AHJs. I suspect a private landholder will be the way to go. Learning from other's experiences, CASA etc prefer to have people launching as a club. Anyway, we'll talk more in a couple/few weeks. Cheers! Matt.
Matthew Small
AMRS #33 L3
TRA #11466 L3
QRS #133

http://australianrocketry.org

joeman
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby joeman » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:26 pm

Have a good one down at Thunda. I am sort of contemplating going down there...but probably have left it a bit late.

I've read your comment Matt, and on reflection, perhaps it would be best to....

1. Have a small sub-branch (club?) set-up...there was some mention of it in previous posts in this thread...

2. It occured to me that perhaps having a site WELL to the west like you are saying would be advantagous, because naturally, people will want to try launching bigger rockets.

3. THAT being said...If there were 'two' launch sites...one for small rockets and one for big rockets...where the site for smaller rockets is closer to Cairns (and immediate surrounding region), it would probably make the hobby a lot more possible/accessible to people.

Anyhow...lets re-visit this when yourself and others are back.

Have fun!

Joe

joeman
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby joeman » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:40 am

Ok.
I've chatted to a chap at Cairns Council. Essentially we need to do all the leg work.

1. Find a suitable launch site

2. Get approval from CASA

3. Get approval (or licence if required?) from "Natural Resources and Mines"

I'm going to do a bit of research on (2) and (3).
Are there a group of ppl in Cairns who are interested in seeing something like come to fruition? Can anyone suggest possible launch sites within the Cairns area? (Away from the airport...and general populous)

I think it would be best to do something like this under an existing club....like suggested in earlier posts in this thread. So we'd need people to register their interest, to be part of this.

joeman
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby joeman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:07 pm

Ok, well, I've gone about seeing if Paradise Palms in Cairns are happy for a few smaller rockets to be launched.

Just a once off, but could lead to other things.

I've also e-mailed CASA to get confirmation that there is no problem here.

The rockets I'll be launching are just the ones my kids are using...Very small ones.

Obviously this is all just a once off...but there isn't much choice here, unless we drive many km's inland.

I'm happy to help organise a bigger more permanent place if there is the 'interest' for it.

joeman
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby joeman » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:17 pm

Well, Paradise Palms were ok about a launch. But this is within controlled airspace.

I have a possible launch site in Mareeba, but there are two possible issues.
1. Dryness

2. Insurance

RE: 1 - Now, can't do much about dryness, except to restrict flights to days when low (how low?) fire danger and would need to properly assess site to see how much dry grass/vegetation is around.

RE: 2. Insurance...I'm learning towards joining QLD Rocketry society.
If I join up for the $150/year - would the insurance cover me and my family for launches at this launch site?
(Provided I get permission from all parties, council, CASA, people who run the model air field...and I obviously abide by the code?)

NOTe: I'm not certified (yet).

p.s. I've also got in touch with Tablelands council and they are putting word out...look for a launch site. Tablelands area is a lot wetter...so my preference is to go down this way...but of course I'll still have to deal with insurance.

(Yes...at present, I just want to send to 15 gram junior rockets up... a lot of work to just do this! But I'm up for it)

Mossed72
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby Mossed72 » Sat May 23, 2015 5:50 pm

Joeman I think you are on the right track looking forward to seeing if the council will come up with anything.

cryoscum
STOP... Hammer Time The Prodigy
STOP... Hammer Time    The Prodigy

Postby cryoscum » Sun May 24, 2015 7:31 pm

Gents, membership with QRS would give you access to the AMRS insurance, but maybe even think of a new chapter?? Best guy to speak to regarding starting something new and exciting up there is Matthew Small. We have a teleconference early this week, so we'll put it on the agenda...

Cheers
Nic
AMRS L3 | NAR L3 | QRS 089 | MDRA 224
AMRS Technical Advisory Group

Total impulse for 2016: 32,458 Ns (thus far)
Total impulse for 2015: 84,231 Ns
Total impulse for 2014: 40,757 Ns
Total impulse for 2013: 62,927 Ns

Return to “Other Australian Clubs?”