OzeSat - A new model satellite for education.

Australian version of the US CANSAT program, designed to engage upper secondary school students in the science of rocketry.

Moderator: Moderators

Ian Christie
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

OzeSat - A new model satellite for education.

Postby Ian Christie » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:27 am

You might be interested to know that VSSEC (Victorian Space Science Education Centre) has a locally made satellite model (to be called OzeSat) in the pipeline. These will serve the same purpose as CanSat but should be appreciably cheaper. We expect to see a prototype early next year and production to begin soon after.

hybridhighflyer
Engineer
Engineer

Postby hybridhighflyer » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:43 am

I would be really interested to see the project for this.

What ranges are they certified for?

When you think this will be online?

Cansat I have looked to get and I have found they are hard to deal with so very keen to see what else comes in the market.

Thank You
Wayne

Ian Christie
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby Ian Christie » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:19 pm

Wayne;
We haven't considered certification of the OzeSat for serious rocket flight yet. Initially we will be launching them with water rockets or dropping them from blimps. They will have a very similar form factor to that of the CanSat and should be capable of everything that the CanSat can do. We have a couple of projects in hand at the moment which will determine the release date of the OzeSat so I can't put a date on it yet. Keep an eye on our web site. The release will make it onto the front page.
Cheers
Ian

spacelaunch
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby spacelaunch » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:20 pm

The ASLI Pathfinder Launch Vehicle will be ready next year to carry student payloads to between 5 and 10kms.

Feel free to contact me, as I am more than interested to help students realize an actual launch opportunity for small sats.
Space is only 100km straight up, see you there :)

hybridhighflyer
Engineer
Engineer

Postby hybridhighflyer » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:24 pm

I have a experiment I am wishing to launch my aim would be to reach 57km's or more however could modify to 10 km's to test the module deployment.

What costs would be involved? Space me and you were due for a coffee as we 15 mins away from eachother.

Where would this be launched?

Wayne

spacelaunch
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby spacelaunch » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:44 pm

hybridhighflyer wrote:I have a experiment I am wishing to launch my aim would be to reach 57km's or more however could modify to 10 km's to test the module deployment.

What costs would be involved? Space me and you were due for a coffee as we 15 mins away from eachother.

Where would this be launched?

Wayne

No probs Wayne, more than happy to discuss. Pathfinder 2 will be more than capable of that kind of altitude, but we would need to look at how it will fit in with our uni-payloads. The core ASLI goal is to get a workable Inertial Navigation System (INS), so most flights will be focused around satisfying that goal.

Sorry on the cuppa thing - super busy late 1/2 of the year haven't had much time to devote to launch vehicles :(

Cant divulge launch site yet, its kinda secret ;)
Space is only 100km straight up, see you there :)

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: OzeSat - A new model satellite for education.

Postby air.command » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:00 pm

Ian Christie wrote:You might be interested to know that VSSEC (Victorian Space Science Education Centre) has a locally made satellite model (to be called OzeSat) in the pipeline. These will serve the same purpose as CanSat but should be appreciably cheaper. We expect to see a prototype early next year and production to begin soon after.

Hi Ian,

This sounds quite interesting. Please keep us posted when more information is available on the OzeSat platform. Do you have any spec on it at the moment?
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

Return to “CANSAT Australia”