Un-PC Decals - Estes Patriot

General and casual chat about anything.

Moderator: Moderators

Aquaman33
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Un-PC Decals - Estes Patriot

Postby Aquaman33 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:40 pm

I recently acquired a rather old Estes 1/5 scale Patriot (2066) kit. Its the one with the cluster of 4 motors.

I was amused to see the decals when I opened the box. I'm guessing this wouldn't get signed off by the Estes board these days.

:D

Derek

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Re: Un-PC Decals - Estes Patriot

Postby drew » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:41 pm

Aquaman33 wrote:I recently acquired a rather old Estes 1/5 scale Patriot (2066) kit. Its the one with the cluster of 4 motors.

I was amused to see the decals when I opened the box. I'm guessing this wouldn't get signed off by the Estes board these days.

Interesting find Derek! I suspect that kit's from the early to mid 90's? Desert Storm was in early 1991, we watched it daily on an old tube TV in middle school. Curious they misspelled Saddam. The "This one's for you Sadam" line is actually based on the long running Budweiser campaign which saw Bud become the most dominant beer in America.

http://legendsinadvertising.blogspot.com/2014/05/budweiser-this-buds-for-you.html
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 23,908ft - K300 - Balls 22
Max V - 2,488 ft/s, ~Mach 2.2 - M2250 - THUNDA 2015

Aquaman33
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Re: Un-PC Decals - Estes Patriot

Postby Aquaman33 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:19 pm

Very interesting Drew.

You are spot on regarding the date. It appeared in the 1992 Estes catalogue:
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/estes92/92est2.html

I built Estes rockets in the early 90s, but I don't remember anything like this kit.

The core of the fins is thin balsa which you laminate with beveled card to create the fin profile. There is also card cone that you glue on to create the tail cone. Not a very robust design for big a 3 inch rocket.....and quite hard to paint I imagine.

The motor cluster is held together with thin pressed metal centering rings. Obviously before the days of laser cut plywood. They look like small sharp edged metal frisbees. So I won't be including those in my build! :shock:

There is a little note in the box that says the engine retainers have been upgraded to the latest design, but they are what we would now regard as standard Estes metal hook retainers.

It comes with a little factsheet about the real Patriot.

I have seen unopened versions of this kit sell for close to $400 (US Dollars) on US websites. But mine came with a badly damaged box and the contents have a little water damage.

Return to “How's the Weather..?”