Lack of posts....

General and casual chat about anything.

Moderator: Moderators

strud
Engineer
Engineer

Lack of posts....

Postby strud » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:56 pm

Just thought I would try and get some feedback from the forum as to the reason for such a low volume of posts and activity in general.

Are people doing less rocketry? less interested? too miserised by Corona??? Using another forum instead????

Aquaman33
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Re: Lack of posts....

Postby Aquaman33 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:06 pm

I think we have had 2 low power launches and zero high power launches this year, due to Covid and then insurance issues.

So that has knocked the wind out of my sails a little.

I have been quietly working on a few projects, but probably nothing exciting enough to post on here.....unless people really want to see my Estes Mini Fat Boy build :D

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:17 pm

I too have taken a bit of a break due to less launch activity. I have started getting back into it again though over the last couple of weeks.
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:34 pm

I have noticed the same thing. It has been getting less and less for quite a while before covid.

Personally I have not been doing much rocketry due to work and lack of enthusiasm for lots of things. Last year was one HPR launch (O-M two stage) but not many other flights due to weather, crops and fire season.

Covid has screwed this year. Only one D motor so far. I have three unbuilt kits but want to finish my Estes Saturn V first. That is in paint currently, but masking is a mongrel on that model.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:55 pm

Shipping has also slowed considerably. It took about 5 weeks to get some carbon fiber delivered from the US (Soller Composites). Before covid it only took a couple of weeks.
I was after some sleeves and plain weave 200gsm cloth. I wanted 6 meters of it, but they said they had a slightly narrower offcut if I was interested that they could give it to me at US$9 per yard, so I took the whole 12yards they had (42" wide). Can't get a much better deal than that. :) If I was to source the same stuff here in Oz it's closer to $40 per yard.
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

Voyager
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Voyager » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:34 pm

Yep, the fall off has been quite noticeable. You could be forgiven for putting it down to the crap year it’s been with fires, floods and pestilence. I’m expecting plagues of locusts next!

I think our group has only had two L/MPR launches and no HPR launches this year. There’s always stuff to do in the between times and I’m certainly trying to keep several rocketry projects going, but I think the restrictions over the months have taken the urgency out of getting to completion.

However, as a member of a couple of technical forums (fora?), this fall off is not consistent with the continued activity on the others. Forums are a means for like-minded people to communicate and share information and ideas. It seems that these other forums have not fallen off in activity at all. Indeed, in some cases, it appears to have increased over this period.

You could explain this in terms of the low critical mass of people involved in rocketry in Australia and the effects of a global pandemic on this activity. However, this still doesn’t explain the lack of posts here. After all, the Forum is essentially global, too; and people still need to communicate with each other, particularly when they can’t get together in person.
TRA 14574 L2

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:18 pm

Yeah, like most people the plague, which has made health issues a bit more complicated to deal with. Plus dealing with other priorities. Had a few set backs on rocket projects which has been frustrating...
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

Wingnut
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Wingnut » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:21 pm

I've checked the forum only about 10 times since March. My days have just been so busy and I keep forgetting to take a look whenever I take a quick break. I've been working from home for the past 4 years and work hasn't slowed any with Covid-19. I keep thinking that I need to finish some of my projects, so that I have something new to launch when we can get back to it. But I just haven't had a good block of time or the energy.

Bye,
Mike

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:17 pm

Energy has been the issue for me in the past six months or so, but I have noticed a decline in posts for probably 18 months or so, IMHO. I guess there are some statistics available to Blake that might put it in numbers.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Return to “How's the Weather..?”