Simple to use GPS System?

Discussions about anything electronics, from altimeters to cameras.

Moderator: Moderators

Aquaman33
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Simple to use GPS System?

Postby Aquaman33 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:40 am

Hi all.

I am doing some research into GPS systems and wanted to utilise your collective wisdom.

I am looking for a simple-to-use GPS system that we will make available at our club launches for members to borrow and use.

It will be used in high power rockets to help locate them, but also in mid power rockets for fun and educational purposes.

Ideally we want a system that comes with it's own handheld receiver so that people don't need to download apps.
If we have to go down the app path then it would need to be available for both Android and IOS. Mobile reception is a bit sketchy at our high power launch site, so it would need to work without a strong mobile signal.

We don't want to get involve with Ham radio licenses.

The transmitter needs to be as small as possible to fit a wide range of body tube diameters.

A transmitter that comes in some sort of protective case would be great, but I can make a case for it if required (either cardboard tube or 3d printed). The case would have an attachment point so that it can be secured to a shock cord (making it easy to switch from one rocket to another).

I know very little about GPS systems, but Apogee's Simple Tracker GPS seems to tick lots of boxes.
https://www.apogeerockets.com/Electronics-Payloads/Rocket-Locators/Simple-GPS-Tracker

I am keen to hear of other solutions or ideas that I should consider.

Thanks.

Derek

Legendontour
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Re: Simple to use GPS System?

Postby Legendontour » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:01 am

An eggtiimer mini and the lcd receiver box with GPS add on would be an option. I assembled both as my first ever eggtiimer project with no issues. The receiver can be supplied with a jaycar style hobby box so it’s self contained and gives walking directions as well as the gps coordinates. The mini transmitter can be screwed to a sled or simply tied to a shock cord and wrapped in a burrito. It’s the system I’m using for Havic this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voyager
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Voyager » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:38 pm

You also have the Bluetooth option on the Eggfinder receivers if you do want to use the apps. LabRat Rocketry have some good sleds for the Mini GPS.
TRA 14574 L2 (CRG)
AMRS 199 L2 (NSWRA)

Legendontour
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Legendontour » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:43 pm

I have installed the Bluetooth module, but it’s not super straight forward to get it to communicate with your device. It definitely doesn’t work with iPhones.

Aquaman33
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Aquaman33 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:42 am

Legendontour wrote:I have installed the Bluetooth module, but it’s not super straight forward to get it to communicate with your device. It definitely doesn’t work with iPhones.

This is one of my concerns.

We really need a system that club members can borrow and use after 2 minutes of "training".

Legendontour
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Legendontour » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:41 pm

The stand alone controller spits out GPS co ords that you can plug into Google Maps or Apple Maps. It’s pretty straight forward.

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:40 pm

The BigRedBee 900MHz tracker ticks all of your boxes.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 26,850ft - L935 - THUNDA 2019
Max V - 3,004 ft/s, ~Mach 2.67 - L935 - THUNDA 2019

Aquaman33
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Aquaman33 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:02 am

Thanks all for your responses.

I have lots of research to do now.