Gyro Rocket Roll Stabilization System

Discussions about anything electronics, from altimeters to cameras.

Moderator: Moderators

ins
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Gyro Rocket Roll Stabilization System

Postby ins » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:32 pm

Hello everyone,

I would like to introduce you to a gyroscopic stabilization system which I made.The system is designed to prevent the rocket from rolling.
The idea is to use it with rockets that have a built-in camera or other equipment that does not withstand the rolling of the rocket during its flight.
The system uses a MEMS gyroscope and digital circuits.RC servo motors were used for this test model.
The electronic system can be customized for all types of rockets.

I would love to hear your opinion on this stabilization system

The video shows a static test of the system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHWOFnSRFpM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4upuN0Fs0Dc

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Re: Gyro Rocket Roll Stabilization System

Postby OverTheTop » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:46 pm

Nice work ins. FYI I think the gains of the system are set a bit high as you have them in your demonstrations. It is surprising how little inertia is around the roll axis. Keep in mind as the speed increases the amount of fin actuation may need to be reduced to prevent oscillations in the roll axis. The higher airflow effectively turns up the control system gain. Having high gain for demonstration and experimenting on the bench is great but the fin movements need to be dialed back for flight.

FYI, I have been working on a more complex system. I have downsized the fins for my next flight (next year) because I found the fins I had provided more control authority than was needed.
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=6632
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

ins
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby ins » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:03 am

The system is based on the principles of rolleron operation, only performed through an electronic circuit.The system is self-regulating, causally consequential so that oscillations are avoided.I made the fins larger because of the slow airflow of this test model.
The next project is a vertical active stabilization system, which is to be based on high performance 6 axis IMU and FPGA.

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:48 am

The system is based on the principles of rolleron operation, only performed through an electronic circuit.The system is self-regulating, causally consequential so that oscillations are avoided.I made the fins larger because of the slow airflow of this test model.

OK. Just remember to keep the gains down, as mentioned before. You are implementing something that has a similar effect to rollerons but is by virtue of its design an electronic roll control system. Easy to overcook the gains.

We would be interested in your descriptions of "self-regulating, causally consequential so that oscillations are avoided". It would be appreciated if you could expand on your control laws applied in your system.

Great idea using the larger fins in your demonstration setup with the lower velocity airflow.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

ins
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby ins » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:56 am

Since the principle of operation is identical to rolleron, the same laws apply as in rolleron.
The second software version for this project will include angular position stabilization.Although I would like to share all the details,I will have to skip some because the development costs me.Either way,I plan to post on my channel the following two projects that I plan to complete soon.

Return to “Electronics”