Amazing MD80 Mini DV cam

Discussions about anything electronics, from altimeters to cameras.

Moderator: Moderators

krusty
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Amazing MD80 Mini DV cam

Postby krusty » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:06 pm

evilfrogie wrote:Got a question.
Air command was the camera you received similar to this one here:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110489717825&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Also do you know what type sensor it has?
Thanks

I got one of those (from the same seller) and was really happy with it. I've got two videos here:
http://www.oflittleinterest.com/content/view/128/39/

It has a date-stamp in the corner, if you put a text file (can't remember what exactly) with the time/date in it, it will update - but only seems to do it for the very next video shot. So I ended up just placing a black bar over that bit. Since my video is turned upside down at ejection (the camera was upside down on the decent), I put bars top and bottom, so it looks even.

I found a great link just the other day that deals with these cheap cameras:
http://chucklohr.com/808/

worth a look.

Krusty

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:25 pm

I suspect the two cameras share the same underlying hardware, just the packaging and perhaps battery are different.

That is a great find krusty on the camera info! :D
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

evilfrogie
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby evilfrogie » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:08 pm

Thanks for the replys.
Since you now have yours, is there anyway to remove the camera module and place it outside the rocket while the electronics stay inside. The deconstruction pictures on the site you linked to seemed to indicate it using a ZIF socket, so now I'm unsure if this is possible.
Thanks

EMiR
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby EMiR » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:41 pm

Kay guys, I got some great footage today using the keyring cam, I must say for $15, its fantastic.

Sorry I was to lazy to edit the vid, and cut out the boring bits.
http://clanwars.net.au/EMiR/Rockets/Alien/SUNP0001a.avi

AVI Video
52.1Mb

or to skip to boring bits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEtsiUPKzwo

Tarpazium
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Tarpazium » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:41 am

EMiR wrote:Kay guys, I got some great footage today using the keyring cam, I must say for $15, its fantastic.

AVI Video
52.1Mb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEtsiUPKzwo

WOW!

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but for $15 a 30 fps camera, I was impressed withe the quality of the video it produced!

EMiR, was this the type of keyring camera did you use ?

Can you also show us how you mounted the camera to the airframe and how proud it sat on the exterior ?

It looks like a camera that could (with a little modification to the case), sit snuggly with a very low profile on the airframe. Also at that price ($15), you also mount one facing down at the ground for the trip up and another reversed so that it also face the ground on for the trip back down to earth.

Tarp
“Measure what is measurable, and make measurable what is not so.”

[IMG]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m149/tarpazium/jz1afQl.gif[/IMG]

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:26 pm

WOW, I only got to watch it now and as Tarp's said, for $15 that is amazing !! 8)
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

EMiR
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby EMiR » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:12 pm

yerp thats the one Len.

Got mine off Ebay, just got one of the buy now ones, but i'm sure if you want to get in to bidding, prob get it cheaper

http://stores.ebay.com/HuaQiangBei-Shop

I like the look of the sunglasses model, should be easily pulled apart, and mount like little lense out side the rocket and have the elec's inside an AV bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-DV-DVR-Spy-Sunglasses-Camera-Video-Recorder_W0QQitemZ220556960273QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_Video_Camcorders?hash=item335a382211

Any ways, I have a few friends in the RC Car sence who wish to get these aswell, I will be ordering like 10 or so sortly, if anyone wishes to join in let me know, ether PM or mail: ashley@clanwars.net.au

strud
Engineer
Engineer

Postby strud » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:02 pm

Excellent video for a $15 camera !

Will definitely get me some of those !

CS

b-h
Engineer
Engineer

Postby b-h » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:16 pm

Here is some poor quality footage of a rocket flight from a Thane key-ring camera. When the key ring camera first came on the market, we couldn't get our hands on one quick enough to put in a rocket.
I flew this rocket many times and I can remember having to set the mode of the camera by pushing the buttons with a piece of wire through holes in the air frame, counting the beeps in sequences on the mode and shutter button. I also flew it in a rocket with a J motor but found the battery was compressing the terminal spring it sat on under the g force loading and causing an open circuit. It took a couple of flights to work the problem out so I fitted a spring to the other side of the battery too, bingo, another pathetic photo .
That was in about 2004- 2005, just shows how much cameras have improved.

Steve

"We're going in with the oxy and out with the mig"

Andrew Burns
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Andrew Burns » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:41 am

My MD80 clone has also arrived, tested it out on my helicopter this morning but the video didn't last long, vibration caused the mounting bracket to fall apart and the camera fell off :P

Indoor performance is indeed poor but outdoors the frame rate was supposedly pushing towards 25fps at 720x480, it seems to not like very rapid motion (swinging rapidly around or something) but should be fine for RC planes or rockets. I wish there was some indication of the battery charge level via USB like there is for my mp3 player though.

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:53 am

Andrew Burns wrote:My MD80 clone has also arrived, tested it out on my helicopter this morning but the video didn't last long, vibration caused the mounting bracket to fall apart and the camera fell off :P

Indoor performance is indeed poor but outdoors the frame rate was supposedly pushing towards 25fps at 720x480, it seems to not like very rapid motion (swinging rapidly around or something) but should be fine for RC planes or rockets. I wish there was some indication of the battery charge level via USB like there is for my mp3 player though.

I too wasn't too impressed with the mounting brackets that come with the camera. I am making up my own. The frame rate is relatively good, but the camera will repeat quite a few frames. The true rate is closer to 20fps. The resolution is upsampled from 640 x 480. I am happy with the video quality though.

I've been working on a VirtualDub filter over the last couple of days to try to remove the date time stamp from the video. So far it's looking reasonable.

Scoop1261
L3 Rocket GURU
L3 Rocket GURU

Postby Scoop1261 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:16 am

Did anyone get a copy of the time synchronization file referenced in the "user manual" and if so any chance of sending or posting a link for it?

My clone MD80 arrived yesterday, but I haven't had much "playtime" with it yet, but yeah $20 delivered .......who's complaining!
Why Limit Yourself?

AMRS #4 - L3 |TRA #11080 - L3 |MDRA #263

Impulse: A Whole Lot ..So much I've lost count!

hotspot
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby hotspot » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:40 am

From Blip.com the cloned versions are way down on frame rate and also they have a lot less storage space.

evilfrogie
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby evilfrogie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:17 pm

Just recieved my camera today, but to no avail can I view it in My Computer.
Also, how do you start and stop recording as the chucklohr site instructions seem to not be working for me.
Thanks
Last edited by evilfrogie on Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:38 pm

Scoop1261 wrote:Did anyone get a copy of the time synchronization file referenced in the "user manual" and if so any chance of sending or posting a link for it?

My clone MD80 arrived yesterday, but I haven't had much "playtime" with it yet, but yeah $20 delivered .......who's complaining!

Hi Scoop,

Create a text file called tag.txt

put the following in it:

[date]
2010/02/17
10:42:00

You need to put a space and a new line character at the end of each line.

1. Connect your camera to the PC
2. Copy the tag.txt file to the very root of the camera's file system
3. Disconnect your camera
4. Turn it off and turn it on again and it should set it. The camera will automatically remove the tag.txt file.

Return to “Electronics”