rocket locator...?

Discussions about anything electronics, from altimeters to cameras.

Moderator: Moderators

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

rocket locator...?

Postby Lister » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:26 pm

Was looking for a rocket locator and came across this... its even on 50% off special plus you can get and track upto 3 extra transmitters though at the moment the extra transmitters are $25 compared to a transmitter receiver for $20 which is why ive ordered two :D

http://www.jaycar.com.au/PRODUCTS/Alarm-%26-Asset-Protection/Guard-Crowd-Control/Personal-Alarms/Wireless-Child-Tracker---4-Channel/p/XC0362

I will let post a review of it once it arrives. Has anyone got/used these before?

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Re: rocket locator...?

Postby martymonsta » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:55 pm

I got one of these http://www.loc8tor.com/everyday/loc8tor-lite.html/ which looks similar'ish and is advised to have more range. But I found that it was useless in a rocket. The range was about 20m once the rocket was on the ground and I was able to see the rocket before the locator picked it up. I hope that yours works a bit better.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:26 pm

Does that one use the same 2.4ghz system (same as used for most rc radios)
Now you've said that im more curious.. maybe ill put it in the rocket and drop it in the paddock n see if it works.

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:13 am

Just tested by enclosing the transmitter (ladybug) in a thick cardboard and then in a rocket and left it next to my shed then started walking.. I went 600m and around a thick tree line and it picked up the direction no worries, then went over a tree lined hill and was still at 500-600m and had no problem getting a decent bearing on the direction.

Dont know how it will go enclosed in higher density materials. I will get some and see in a couple of weeks.

Also im unsure how it will hold up to high g flights, it is for kids who dont normally travel go at mach 1.

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:18 pm

Tested it with a rocket today went for a drive to see how far I can get a signal.. performed fine in the rocket.. got my mate to shut her eyes while it launched and landed and then find the rocket with the locator.. took a minute and was very easy.

Managed 850m with direct line of site and 500 through througg thick trees and scrub.. over a hill it didnt do as well, only 360m.

Its a very good easy to use and accurate locator that only weighs 11.3 grams
Attachments
2015-06-19 23.25.34.jpg
wirelss 2.4ghz child locator from jaycar $20 - 500m
2015-06-19 23.25.34.jpg (143.75 KiB) Viewed 1863 times

camacd
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby camacd » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:16 pm

Hi Lister - Is the child locator standing up to the rigours of rocket duty? I'm thinking of getting one.

Cam
"He who says it can't be done is liable to be interrupted by somebody doing it". - My Mum

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:34 pm

Hi Cam, It worked great until it took a fall with the darkstar 2" nosecone.. The shock cord got cut and the nose went down hard... But before that it took some punishment including a lpr lawn dart, i'll be getting a new transmitter soon but will be using two from now on if i use them so i have more chance of one surviving the fall.

i had one problem once where i couldnt get a signal from it and had to walk towards where i thought it was before it found it, but im fairly sure that was a battery issue because i changed them all out for fresh ones after that and sat it in the paddock and drove away and it worked great to about 750m.. The range isnt quite as far if there are trees or buildings in the line of sight. but for the price i still think they are hard to beat.. Hope that helps :)

camacd
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby camacd » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:29 pm

Thanks Lister.

If I get my L1 this weekend, I'll be starting to look for more altitude, and of course a greater opportunity for losing the rockets.

A cheap simple solution would be very useful.

Cam
"He who says it can't be done is liable to be interrupted by somebody doing it". - My Mum

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:19 pm

No worries mate. Good luck with the L1 :)

Honestly I wouldn't trust it on an expensive rocket, I am getting GPS for my bigger more expensive rockets. And like I said it survived a lawn dart and I could still track it.. the reason it got broken with the darkstar nose is that the av bay smashing into the ground broke the all thread mounts and smashed the rrc3 into the tracker.. lost both :lol:

Return to “Electronics”