Dashware

Discussions about anything electronics, from altimeters to cameras.

Moderator: Moderators

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Dashware

Postby jase » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:57 pm

So, I've finally found the software that allows you to add gauges to your video clips.

http://www.dashware.net

...my favorite type of software too - FREE!

I did not find it easy at all to use, so did a bit of research and found a guy who wrote a blog about it - good on you Danno!!!

http://danno.org/RocketBlog/howto_dashware.php

Anyway, after some errors, no help from anyone and general head scratching I was finally able to cobble together a clip - clearly got the sync a bit out and need to use a four digit gauge for speed next time...*MEH* good enough... I wanted to share it so other people 'over here' can start using it and teach me more!!! SO please, download it, use it, enjoy it and teach me some tricks :lol:

Me and my rockets run on Moonshine.

Viking
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Re: Dashware

Postby Viking » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:12 pm

Interesting software, very cool.
Saw your post over on TRF, you obviously sorted the ffmpeg issue.
Simon
WARS #24 / AMRS #54 L2

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:19 pm

Very cool! Will have to play with this.. be great for the onboard on that darkstar :)
Found any software for other gauges?

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:30 pm

Viking wrote:Interesting software, very cool.

Yeah no help though...

Think I may have sorted it out, asked the developers but no response from them either.

Something to do with the directory you render the final video.

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:33 pm

Lister wrote:Very cool! Will have to play with this.. be great for the onboard on that darkstar :)
Found any software for other gauges?

Well I didn't discover it, it has been around for a while but struggling to find 'user' / rocketry specific information, apart from what I posted above.

Any other software? I think there is but when it is FREE I say look no further...

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Postby CATO » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:35 pm

Nicely done Jase...
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3 RSO
TRA 07459 L3

Impulse:
2020: 00,000 Ns (0% Z)
Ns 19: 14,725; 18: 14,767; 17: 5,973; 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: M1.14

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:50 pm

CATO wrote:Nicely done Jase...

Hey David your onboard Thunda footage 8) :idea:

I think it would really come into it's own combining Raven data and GPS - those altimeters that record more parameters...you can add some pretty cool stuff.

There are a lot of pre-set data recorders loaded into the software, but no rocketry specific altimeters. You have to create your own and can select which parameters you want displayed.

A little frustrating to learn at first :?

Happy Heyoka
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Happy Heyoka » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:47 pm

jase wrote:Anyway, after some errors, no help from anyone and general head scratching I was finally able to cobble together a clip - clearly got the sync a bit out and need to use a four digit gauge for speed next time...*MEH* good enough...

looks great for a "proof of concept" - I don't really use Windows but I'll certainly download it and have a play.

Sync is a tricky for multiple data sources... there are some cheap and cheerful film and video industry methods for that - think clapper boards etc... but when they get serious they also use a ton of complicated timing gear (and recorders that embed "standard" timecodes etc)

Unfortunately for us (rocketry) a few frame times is a long time - eg: two frames at 25fps is 80ms - even my little guys are off the rod @ 200ms

For my own plans I had been thinking about putting a current sensor in the base of the rocket to pick up the igniter power (as a "key frame" event) - but you still have to sync external cameras. It would also be nice to not have to retrofit stuff to a rocket.

I have a Sony action cam that buries the GPS in the video file; I think the
GoPro does that too (which is what Dashware seems to be chasing)
If you have a GPS you have a good timebase to work with.

I think it would not be too hard to knock up something to draw gauges against a "green screen" so that you could overlay them on video (even basic video packages can do that these days) - I guess the question is what gauges are for rocketry?
roll rate? xyz acceleration? AoA? altitude certainly, velocity certainly. ground track in a way that doesn't eat half the video with a map...
Ha ha ha ha ha! You can't fool me! There ain't no Sanity Clause!
Chico Marx - A Night at the Opera (1935)

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:10 am

Played around a bit with the software

It's a little tricky to get going initially, but once sorted is not too bad.

The blog said to load each data Channel separately, not sure why. I just imported my entire eggtimer csv in one hit. I did have issues with the altimiter gauge being setup incorrectly from the tool box, worked fine once I corrected the configuration. The airspeed gauge also had to be modified from the standard 200 mph Max. Sorry for the imperial units, did not bother to convert it. You can see some noise in the gauges, but apart from that I'm pretty happy with the result.

One other tip, by default it does not set the synchronization at the start, you will see no gauge activity until you set the synchronization point.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:01 am

Good find Jase :D
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:26 am

Viking wrote:Interesting software, very cool.

Just quickly, I should add now that Danno replied to my post.
SpaceManMat wrote:The blog said to load each data Channel separately, not sure why. I just imported my entire eggtimer csv in one hit.

Hey Mat, nice work! Yes, I did the same - once you specify the header lines and "exact match text" all you have to do is specify the start of the data. I did tweak the stratologger output file a bit, after all it is only text - just removed the header data and replaced it with simple headers.
Happy Heyoka wrote:I have a Sony action cam that buries the GPS in the video file; I think the
GoPro does that too (which is what Dashware seems to be chasing)
If you have a GPS you have a good timebase to work with.

Exactly, in fact I think GoPro are the developers. With the action cam, can you extract the data file and create a csv/txt file?

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:40 am

Quick update, there is a flight status gauge with presets which is cool/probably intended for rocketry!!!
dashware flight status gauge.jpg

Managed to get the 4th digit in, well, it was already there as an 'integer' so just needed to adjust the size of the dynamic text component...

I think the apogee data column just needs to be created, so you'd copy the altitude column into a new column, find apogee, then fill down with the highest number...

The flight status column you'd need to create too - I reckon if you got thrust curve data and copied that into a new column, synced it with the flight time column, that could be cool too! - show you thrust and burnout... :idea:

Altim 1: probably put voltage there? rename Altim 2: to Temp: ??? The mind boggles...

As Borat says "I very very excite..." :lol:

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:19 pm

Sinking teeth in now, added thrust curve data, voltage, temp and apogee data...fixed up the sync a bit...

...look ma, no hands :lol: :lol: :lol:

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:46 pm

What a great find Jase.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:56 pm

martymonsta wrote:What a great find Jase.

:oops: :oops: :oops: well technically I didn't find it, well I found it but I wasn't the first one to find it...for the record...

Bloody hell, I want to buy a Raven now just for the extra data!

Return to “Electronics”