Dashware

Discussions about anything electronics, from altimeters to cameras.

Moderator: Moderators

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Dashware

Postby martymonsta » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:12 pm

jase wrote:
:oops: :oops: :oops: well technically I didn't find it, well I found it but I wasn't the first one to find it...for the record...

Your letting the truth get in the way of the story

Bloody hell, I want to buy a Raven now just for the extra data!

And they are plug and play, well not 100%, but you don't have to hold your head on the right angle and do the dance.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:26 pm

I missed the gauges that Jase used so had to do an additional trial. Getting the status to display was a big pain.

The faq helped http://www.dashware.net/faq/ but I found that the Dashware software was providing intermediate statuses. For instant if I set the status to 7 (Main Chute), when I set it back to 0 (blank - no status), it would smooth the transition by displaying 3 (Launch). Understandably I was not very happy with that. So I added additional blank status 5 and 10, then had to add a formula in excel to use the nearest multiple of 5 when it was not displaying any status.

Going to try my Flying Dutchman flight at Thunda next as it has Raven and EggTimer data.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:40 am

LOL Marty - you're starting to sound like me :wink:

Hey Mat, nice work buddy - I like the static max speed idea too (and, I'm going to pinch that for my next effort)...

Flight Status got me thinking, static 'motor burnout', 'drogue out' and 'main out' displayed...

I am really interested to see the Raven and GPS data displayed 8)
Me and my rockets run on Moonshine.

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:06 am

jase wrote:LOL Marty - you're starting to sound like me :wink:

Hey Mat, nice work buddy - I like the static max speed idea too (and, I'm going to pinch that for my next effort)...

Flight Status got me thinking, static 'motor burnout', 'drogue out' and 'main out' displayed...

I am really interested to see the Raven and GPS data displayed 8)

Created the video, but for some reason the audio was dropped. Trying to figure out what I can do about it. I blame Marty as it was clearly a result of his defective camera :wink: At the moment I just duplicated the status gauge so you can see details from both altimeters at the same time and I added a G readout which is totally pegged at launch. Only other issue is comparing the stpeeds as the backup is an EggTimer and its baro calculations come up at nearly twice the speed. Alas no GPS on that sorry Jase, wish there had been would have made recovery easy.

ROCKet STAR
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby ROCKet STAR » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:12 pm

I was just thinking the other day that it would be good to have a way of doing this. Nice find!

Does it allow for other units of measurement such as Mph, ft/s, Mach etc?
Chris Barnes

AMRS# 29 - L3

UKRA - L3

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:12 pm

ROCKet STAR wrote:I was just thinking the other day that it would be good to have a way of doing this. Nice find!

Does it allow for other units of measurement such as Mph, ft/s, Mach etc?

Yes there are inbuilt converters for this, when I am reasonably satisfied with the result I will post my projects.

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:47 pm

Hey Mat I hadn't considered that two different boards would be sampling at different speeds...you'd just need to be tricky in excel to line the data up by time stamp I guess?

Chris - yeah buddy! Essentially the guages are highly customisable, you can label your dynamic text outputs to whatever units you are using. What Mat and I have done in the examples is to modify some of the preset gauges.

I am sure that once proficient with the software it would be reasonably easy to create slick looking gauges.

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:01 pm

you can label your dynamic text outputs to whatever units you are using.

Looks great! Does it do velocity in furlongs per fortnight :D
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:19 pm

OverTheTop wrote:
you can label your dynamic text outputs to whatever units you are using.

Looks great! Does it do velocity in furlongs per fortnight :D

OTT - You'd have to do your own conversion calculation but yes

jase wrote:Hey Mat I hadn't considered that two different boards would be sampling at different speeds...you'd just need to be tricky in excel to line the data up by time stamp I guess?

Chris - yeah buddy! Essentially the guages are highly customisable, you can label your dynamic text outputs to whatever units you are using. What Mat and I have done in the examples is to modify some of the preset gauges.

I am sure that once proficient with the software it would be reasonably easy to create slick looking gauges.

Jase - not a sampling issue. EggTimer is using baro data to calculate speed badly - 2000kph. Meanwhile Raven is saying 1100kph which matches the sim. I've got both synchronized well, the sampling rate does not cause an issue in this regard.

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:16 pm

Which eggtimer altimeter are you using matt?

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:25 pm

Ok got my sound issue sorted although I'm not entirely sure what the issue was. Also my speed is wrong on the eggtimer because the eggtimer records f/s and not mph as I had assumed. It still comes up with speeds that are a bit fast, but it's a lot closer to reality. I will makes the neccissary fixes and post the results.

Lister wrote:Which eggtimer altimeter are you using matt?

I have 2 units, they are both the normal altimiter units (not the TRS). One is revision C and one is revision D. Both run the same code BTW, function wise there is very little difference.

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:38 pm

As promised, I have completed the video with EggTimer and Raven data.

I figured out what was causing my sound to stop, for some reason if I increase the size of my flight status gauges the sound cuts out, so looks like some sort of bug rendering the video.

I will do a bit more work cleaning the data profile and gauges before I post everything.

jase
It runs on moonshine
It runs on moonshine

Postby jase » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:17 am

OverTheTop wrote:Looks great! Does it do velocity in furlongs per fortnight :D

Mate, it'll do bacon crispy!!!

SpaceManMat wrote:so looks like some sort of bug rendering the video.

I did have a similar issue, what I did was to tick the 'overscan safe area' box and that seemed to work... Don't actually know that it was the problem, but it seemed to work :roll:

Doesn't look like there is any support for the software either - there was a forum but it disappeared and their facebook page has gone dead, ie: no response from Dashware to any questions since 2014.

Love the G gauge, very cool indeed 8)

I want to dig out my last (only) onboard footage and do a clip, only problem is I can't remember which of the 4 RRC3s I've got went on that flight :lol: I must have wrote the graph file from the board and didn't save the data file on pc :oops:

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:52 pm

[quote="jase]I did have a similar issue, what I did was to tick the 'overscan safe area' box and that seemed to work... Don't actually know that it was the problem, but it seemed to work :roll: [quote]

Ah yes that will be it. Basically when it is rendering the screen data, some of the pixels are not on the screen (most likely because the gauges are partly below the screen in my case). As it is not using a safe method, this can wipe out other data that happens to be stored in near by memory such as the audio. End result is currupt audio. I suspect they allowed the option to be switched off for performace reasons.

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:46 pm

Ok the over scan option did not work for me and after reading the instructions has nothing to do with what I initially though. Modified the gauges to be no so close to the edge of the picture seems to fix the issue.

I have tried to provide the Dashware files, but I am running into space limitations. I cannot attach the standard Night Fury project or the Raven Logs

Dashware Gauges.zip
(140 KiB) Downloaded 118 times

Project - Flying Dutchman Thunda.zip
(5.36 KiB) Downloaded 116 times

Project - Flying Dutchman Thunda - Enhanced.zip
(89.45 KiB) Downloaded 106 times

Project - Night Fury - Enhanced.zip
(34.92 KiB) Downloaded 123 times

Dashware Night Fury EggTimer Logs.zip
(152.72 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

Dashware Flying Dutchman EggTimer Logs.zip
(114.23 KiB) Downloaded 107 times