Caching Google Maps data for offline use

Discussions about anything electronics, from altimeters to cameras.

Moderator: Moderators

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Caching Google Maps data for offline use

Postby drew » Tue May 31, 2016 2:15 pm

Given WWW 2016 is almost here and the Williams launch site is notoriously difficult to get a usable mobile signal I thought I might share this quick "hack" to get Google Maps on your phone/tablet to cache map data for the launch site. Obviously we don't need to worry about GPS as the birds are above us but having the map data to go along with GPS coordinates is incredibly useful for finding your rocket after your flight.

Basically I just followed these instructions.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-cache-offline-maps-in-the-new-google-maps-for-an-729295083

Pretty hacky and yet easy to accomplish. I'm running Marshmallow (6.0.1) with Maps version 9.26.1 and the offline caching process worked for me. Given that's fairly bleeding edge and the article was written almost 3 years ago I suspect it'll work for most of you.

Protip - Take your BRB900 GPS coordinates directly from your receiver and plug them straight into Google Maps and then use the Navigation feature to lead you to your rocket. Yep, it's that easy.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 23,908ft - K300 - Balls 22
Max V - 2,488 ft/s, ~Mach 2.2 - M2250 - THUNDA 2015

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Re: Caching Google Maps data for offline use

Postby drew » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:39 am

I thought it might be worthwhile to update this post given the rumblings over on TRF about Google Maps wiping locally cached map data from your phone without letting you know. I've yet to experience this but I can say I was delightfully surprised to see my phone tell me this morning that Google Maps was currently in the process of refreshing the locally cached map data on my phone with the latest content from their servers. I can't speak to the experiences of those yanks over on TRF but I can say that my Maps app has kept and updated the locally cached content I manually saved for over three months. YMMV, but I'm actually quite pleased with how simple and persistent this process has been.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:46 am

I should probably also mention that after the initial local caching of the map data I've applied a major upgrade to my phone when I moved to 6.0 Marshmallow (CyanogenMod OS 13). Since that upgrade I've also applied numerous other patches and I'm currently running Android 6.0.1 (CyanogenMod 13.1.2).

It seems the Google Maps caching process is more resilient than some people would want you to believe.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:06 pm

Yeah I think it's a case of one guy got caught out once.

Similar thing applies for Google Earth, thanks for the reminder, need to produce a backup archive for Westmar.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:38 am

drew wrote:I thought it might be worthwhile to update this post given the rumblings over on TRF about Google Maps wiping locally cached map data from your phone without letting you know. I've yet to experience this but I can say I was delightfully surprised to see my phone tell me this morning that Google Maps was currently in the process of refreshing the locally cached map data on my phone with the latest content from their servers. I can't speak to the experiences of those yanks over on TRF but I can say that my Maps app has kept and updated the locally cached content I manually saved for over three months. YMMV, but I'm actually quite pleased with how simple and persistent this process has been.

I just had a look at my local maps on my phone and it says that they will automatically update when connected to WiFi. It says that if I don't connect to WiFi for 30 days then the maps will expire.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:38 am

Yep Marty, I saw that as well. I guess the question is who has a phone not tethered to a wireless network in 30 days? Also, there's an option to change map caching to update over a mobile data network as well as wireless. Given I've yet to ever exhaust my data quota on my prepaid service I just changed the setting to allow Maps to update cached maps over any network. I can only assume they'll now never expire unless i leave my phone off for 30+ days.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3

Return to “Electronics”