Piksi GPS Module

Discussions about anything electronics, from altimeters to cameras.

Moderator: Moderators

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Piksi GPS Module

Postby OverTheTop » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:35 am

Piksi GPS Module
Recently available is this new GPS module:
piksiresize.png
piksiresize.png (209.74 KiB) Viewed 1806 times

It is able to tap into the different GNSS systems and get better accuracy and coverage. Because the systems use different frequencies the pseudodistance variation due to tropospheric effects is removed by simple algebraic operations. That is one of the major error terms in location determination.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

vance2loud
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Re: Piksi GPS Module

Postby vance2loud » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:57 pm

$2000 USD for the complete kit prices it out of my reach.
It does have the advantage of using L1 and L2 whereas most of the other systems use only L1.

Have you looked at the "Reach" by Emlid $570 USD for the kit https://emlid.com/shop/reach-rtk-kit/

or

The Navspark NS-HP-GL which is GPS and Glonass $100 USD each module plus radios http://navspark.mybigcommerce.com/ns-hp-gl-rtk-capable-gps-glonass-receiver/

Ublox has also released a small GNSS RTK module NEO-M8P (February this year was the announcement), but I haven't seen them available anywhere apart from evaluation boards direct from Ublox https://www.u-blox.com/en/product/neo-m8p and Drotek's version. https://drotek.com/shop/en/212-rtk

GNSS RTK options are definitely getting more common this year.

I know all professional grade systems use L1 and L2 (and sometimes L5 I think), but how much difference does it make compared to just using multiple constellations?
TRA #15165 AMRS #50
I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't. - Unknown
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
- Thomas Alva Edison

Happy Heyoka
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Happy Heyoka » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:41 am

OverTheTop wrote:Piksi GPS Module
Recently available is this new GPS module:

Cool, I have all the tools for Zynq stuff.
Ha ha ha ha ha! You can't fool me! There ain't no Sanity Clause!
Chico Marx - A Night at the Opera (1935)

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:19 am

Zynq looks impressive. Two Cortex 9 processor cores and FPGA fabric as well. We have applications where one core runs Linux and the other a timing-critical control system via the FPGA. Versatile.

I will probably jump into the toolset next year sometime.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Happy Heyoka
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Happy Heyoka » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:16 am

OverTheTop wrote:We have applications where one core runs Linux and the other a timing-critical control system via the FPGA.

some nifty tricks with the FPGA/ARM integration like being able to make stuff in the FPGA look like a register on the ARMs and being able to initiate DMA operations from either side. I've only played with the 010 and 020 flavours but would really be interested in exploring the high speed interface stuff on the higher end chips (for PCI-E etc)

I will probably jump into the toolset next year sometime.

I'm not a world leading authority on FPGA tools by any means but they seem to hang together fairly well... like everything they have their own cadence that you ignore at your peril (lots of generated files that all need to be generated in the right order or you spend an hour figuring out why X doesn't build).

The High Level Synthesis (HLS) tools are pretty interesting - writing an algorithm that gets partly or fully implemented as hardware in the FPGA fabric. If you're doing a lot of data filtering (eg: DSP or sorts or whatever) then that's very cool.
Ha ha ha ha ha! You can't fool me! There ain't no Sanity Clause!
Chico Marx - A Night at the Opera (1935)

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:24 pm

like being able to make stuff in the FPGA look like a register

That's how I write most of my FPGA interfaces. The firmware guys like it that way.

Being able to implement very complex state machines in the fabric really helps keep timing tight when you need to. Interrupts don't get in the way to scatter the timing :wink:

DMA availability both ways sounds fantastic!
TRA #13430
L3

Return to “Electronics”