Multi Level Wind plugin for Open Rocket

Discussions about anything electronics, from altimeters to cameras.

Moderator: Moderators

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Multi Level Wind plugin for Open Rocket

Postby SpaceManMat » Thu May 18, 2017 9:21 pm

Not my work, but thought someone may be interested to try this new Open Rocket Plugin that allows you to set multiple wind levels in your simulations. I've not tried it yet, but with Westmar coming up it could be handy.

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread ... -altitudes
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Re: Multi Level Wind plugin for Open Rocket

Postby drew » Fri May 19, 2017 11:29 am

SpaceManMat wrote:Not my work, but thought someone may be interested to try this new Open Rocket Plugin that allows you to set multiple wind levels in your simulations. I've not tried it yet, but with Westmar coming up it could be handy.

Cheers for posting this. I'd be very interested in using this to evaluate planned future flights at Westmar. Given it's site specific would it make sense to model Westmar, Williams, and any other launch sites that would be considered reasonably high altitude in Australia?
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 26,850ft - L935 - THUNDA 2019
Max V - 3,004 ft/s, ~Mach 2.67 - L935 - THUNDA 2019

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Fri May 19, 2017 6:00 pm

drew wrote:
SpaceManMat wrote:Not my work, but thought someone may be interested to try this new Open Rocket Plugin that allows you to set multiple wind levels in your simulations. I've not tried it yet, but with Westmar coming up it could be handy.

Cheers for posting this. I'd be very interested in using this to evaluate planned future flights at Westmar. Given it's site specific would it make sense to model Westmar, Williams, and any other launch sites that would be considered reasonably high altitude in Australia?

Not quite sure what you mean by site specific. The wind models are constantly updated so you have to set your model for the hour and location you will launch and ideally obtain data as close to the launch as possible. A live web update feature would actually be fantastic but that's a future may possible modification.

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Sat May 20, 2017 11:37 am

SpaceManMat wrote:Not quite sure what you mean by site specific. The wind models are constantly updated so you have to set your model for the hour and location you will launch and ideally obtain data as close to the launch as possible. A live web update feature would actually be fantastic but that's a future may possible modification.

From my understanding part of the AMRS High Altitude flight review involves looking at historical data for wind at various altitudes to attempt to provide a more accurate estimate of where the rocket will end up. I was thinking that data might be useful in this plugin. I don't think it's easily possible for us to have up to date wind models out at Westmar so I would expect the next best thing would be to use models based on historical data instead. Does that make more sense?
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 26,850ft - L935 - THUNDA 2019
Max V - 3,004 ft/s, ~Mach 2.67 - L935 - THUNDA 2019

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Sat May 20, 2017 1:16 pm

drew wrote:
SpaceManMat wrote:Not quite sure what you mean by site specific. The wind models are constantly updated so you have to set your model for the hour and location you will launch and ideally obtain data as close to the launch as possible. A live web update feature would actually be fantastic but that's a future may possible modification.

From my understanding part of the AMRS High Altitude flight review involves looking at historical data for wind at various altitudes to attempt to provide a more accurate estimate of where the rocket will end up. I was thinking that data might be useful in this plugin. I don't think it's easily possible for us to have up to date wind models out at Westmar so I would expect the next best thing would be to use models based on historical data instead. Does that make more sense?

Makes sense for a review. The wind forecasts are available more than a week in advance so you can always get data a few days before. As long as you have a Telstra mobile you might be able to get data on the day.However I think one of the most important to get right is actually surface winds which can be measured easily enough.

Return to “Electronics”