Are there any beeline users out there?

Discussions about anything electronics, from altimeters to cameras.

Moderator: Moderators

Sirbrad
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Sirbrad » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:46 pm

I’m looking at purchasing a beeline transmitter for direction finding. Have already ordered a handheld radio and will build a Yagi antenna soon.

Just wanted to see who else is using or has used this method of rocket location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Re: Are there any beeline users out there?

Postby drew » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:44 am

Sirbrad wrote:I’m looking at purchasing a beeline transmitter for direction finding. Have already ordered a handheld radio and will build a Yagi antenna soon.

Just wanted to see who else is using or has used this method of rocket location.

I've used rdf transmitters for years and have owned multiple beeline transmitters. That said I only use them when GPS won't fit or work.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 23,908ft - K300 - Balls 22
Max V - 2,488 ft/s, ~Mach 2.2 - M2250 - THUNDA 2015

Sirbrad
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Sirbrad » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:15 pm

I was initially thinking of an APRS solution, but the low cost of RDF cannot be overlooked. I am also involved in scouts and can see some other uses of the beeline for ‘fox hunting’. Are you in Brisbane Drew?

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:54 pm

Sirbrad wrote:I was initially thinking of an APRS solution, but the low cost of RDF cannot be overlooked. I am also involved in scouts and can see some other uses of the beeline for ‘fox hunting’. Are you in Brisbane Drew?

I'm on the other side, here in Perth.

If you're looking for APRS solutions you're in the right place, check out the BeeLine GPS. I have a couple of those and they're GPS trackers that leverage APRS for their location. I use them in conjunction with a Yaesu VX-8GR which has an APRS TNC inbuilt. It's a very elegant solution, but it's not cheap.

If you're just starting out though get your hands on one of the Beeline TX units. Just remember to operate them you should have at least a Foundation License here in Australia as they operate on 70cm. At least that's how i interpret the law. You might think otherwise though and for the record IANAL!
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 23,908ft - K300 - Balls 22
Max V - 2,488 ft/s, ~Mach 2.2 - M2250 - THUNDA 2015

Sirbrad
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Sirbrad » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:17 pm

I have a foundation licence, so no problem there. I am buying a cheap Baofeng dual band handheld to start with. I hope to upgrade to an APRS capable radio next year.

Perth is my old home town.

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:33 pm

The Baofeng is quite a good transceiver. My previous manager ran a suite of tests on it (he is an RF engineer) and said he really couldn't fault the performance.

If you are using it for tracking, keep in mind that the signal strength meter is not really functional. If you use something like an external attenuator (either switched, or the electronic type) your RDF'ing experience will be much improved.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Return to “Electronics”