Tile Trackers

Discussions about anything electronics, from altimeters to cameras.

Moderator: Moderators

Aquaman33
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Tile Trackers

Postby Aquaman33 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:47 am

I noticed that these $25 Tile type trackers are getting smaller, the Bluetooth range is getting longer and more companies are producing them, including a few Australian companies (eg. Nuttag and Blaqwolf).

Image Image Image

They claim a bluetooth range of up to 90m depending on which one you buy and who you believe.

The Tile Mate measures just 34.7mm x 34.7mm x 6.2 mm, so will fit in a BT-60 (40mm) body tube.

I wondered if anyone has any experience of using them to locate rockets?

The Bluetooth functionality would be very useful in a field of crops or long grass. So frustrating when you walk right past your rocket and don't see it.

I spent many hours with my son searching through relatively short crops at NSWRA's high power weekend.

If a few members of your club have the app and your launch site has mobile reception then the GPS Phone-to-Phone mesh technology could also be useful. I can see this working well at bigger events where lots of people are out looking for rockets, so there is a greater chance for triangulation.

I'm not really thinking about HPR here. I appreciate you need proper GPS for that.

I am working on a few mid power rockets that will include a camera and altimeter that I don't really want to lose. So something like this seems like a cheap option.

Keen to here people's thoughts.

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Re: Tile Trackers

Postby drew » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:55 pm

Personally I think 2.4GHz is suboptimal for our use case as effectively it works best with a clear LoS. I'm not sure what range you'd get if the transmitter was submerged in crop. Plus Bluetooth has never been well known for leveraging high wattage radios as it's always been a near field comms stack.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 26,850ft - L935 - THUNDA 2019
Max V - 3,004 ft/s, ~Mach 2.67 - L935 - THUNDA 2019

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Tile Trackers

Postby SpaceManMat » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:11 pm

I also worry about how long it takes to find the bluetooth device. You may walk relatively close to it but not be in range long enough. If you do want to throw a few $ at it then I’d recommend you do a few tests before actually using it, be interesting to see how it compares to say using a buzzer.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

Return to “Electronics”