Arduino Radio Beacon

Discussions about anything electronics, from altimeters to cameras.

Moderator: Moderators

DiscountBatman
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Arduino Radio Beacon

Postby DiscountBatman » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:29 pm

After being inspired by strud's high tech tracking, I thought I might dip my toes into electronics and try an easier method.
I'm using an Arduino nano and a LoRa module (SX1278) to send out tones on a 433MHz frequency.

123194028_1049338238871276_3583783346471882657_n.jpg

It's been a real pain, since these are tailored more towards sending and receiving data packets rather than FM audio tones that I can pick up with a walkie talkie. I've tried a workaround which borrows the FSK mode, but even then the signal is really weak.

Has anyone had any experience getting this to work? Or recommendations on making a radio beacon?

Cheers.

strud
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Arduino Radio Beacon

Postby strud » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:38 pm

Hey there DiscountBatman (love the name by the way)

a LoRa module might be hard to get to modulate in a simple FSK mode that will be demodulated by say a UHF handheld radio, since it is designed to operate with a very broad spectrum transmission as I understand. Also the encoding schemes will also not give you something like a tone ie constant frequency shift since typically they implement things like balancing to improve decoding performance ie sending a heap of data that is just zeros won't get you a constant frequency shifted Tx...

You could use something simple like the walkie talkie modules I'm using eg:

https://au.banggood.com/SA818-VHF-Ultra-High-Frequency-1W-Wireless-Walkie-talkie-Module-Intercom-Module-Embedded-p-1411562.html?gmcCountry=AU&currency=AUD&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_bgcs&utm_content=frank&utm_campaign=ssc-aug-all-1129&ad_id=400330096020&cur_warehouse=CN

That way you can just send tones at a frequency of your choosing ie it is an analog radio.

The interface to these is serial for config and simple pull to ground PTT with ac coupled analog input ie connect this to a digital out of your arduino with a coupling capacitor.

Happy to help further, send me a PM if you like.

DiscountBatman
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Re: Arduino Radio Beacon

Postby DiscountBatman » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:13 am

Ah brilliant! Thats exactly what I'm after, thanks. I'll get some ordered tomorrow and hopefully they'll be here before uni wraps up for the year.

Return to “Electronics”