Price increases

Suburban Rocketry has closed

Moderator: Moderators

The Wombat
Engineer
Engineer

Postby The Wombat » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:43 pm

I wonder, if someone was to order only body tubes + small items, would it be cheaper to send them in a post tube?

Bones
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Bones » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:15 pm

Not sure. Never really checked it out. As tubes are usually sold in packs of two, it would be limiting I suspect as to what could be sent this way. Doubt a pack of BT80's would fit inside but I am only guessing.

All smaller orders which can fit inside an Australian Post 2kg postpack are sent out this way.

More often than not there doesn't seem to be a great advantage in saving just a few kg's. In the start I was cutting boxes down to reduce cubes, I would do this and save the customer a buck or two but the strength of the box was a big pay off. I just don't do it anymore - if some disgruntled postal worker throws something heavy on top of a box which has been cut down all the packaging in the world probably won't save the contents from damage.

I usually try and convince the guys from WA or remote areas where postage is high to try and order more than a couple of tubes to make it all worthwhile.

Example of freight charges from my postcode 2761 to capital cities in QLD & Vic.

2-3 kg $11.45
5-6 kg $13.25
8-9 kg $15.35

So if I get my standard box and chop it in half, only a couple of dollars is saved - It doesn't halve the freight cost. I don't know where those post tubes would fall into this equation though....
"You could give Aristotle a tutorial. And you could thrill him to the core of his being ... Such is the privilege of living after Newton, Darwin, Einstein, Planck, Watson, Crick and their colleagues." - Richard Dawkins

www.suburbanrocketry.com

The Wombat
Engineer
Engineer

Postby The Wombat » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:42 pm

Yer, I was thinking that it might be the way to go if someone just wanted a dozen BT20 tubes, for example.

krusty
Engineer
Engineer

Postby krusty » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:01 pm

BT80... You could always just whack a couple of stamps on the outside of the tube.... :shock:

Krusty

RocketPants
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby RocketPants » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:11 pm

From my order and the $2.50 packing cost (very reasonable) it doesn't look like you are being overcharged. I think that maybe there is just a stamp fetishist at your post office... :twisted:

krusty
Engineer
Engineer

Postby krusty » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:42 pm

Ok! This is getting really weird!! My box of goodies arrived just this moment from Bones....

There were no stamps on it!!! Do we have an Australia Post spy here?? Have they tapped our forum??????

The postage was stuck on - as a print-out from the AusPost terminal ($15.35)

In addition, there was 5 'top load only' stickers and a good wrapping of 'Fragile' tape :)

Yay for Bones!!

Krusty

Bones
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Bones » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:14 pm

This is what I see when I drop the packages off and pay delivery. They print a receipt and stick it on the box. It's all a bit of a mystery!

I don't usually print "Top Load Only" stickers just so happens there wasn't a lot of packaging above your product because your box was pretty full...

Glad it arrived nice and quick Krusty.
"You could give Aristotle a tutorial. And you could thrill him to the core of his being ... Such is the privilege of living after Newton, Darwin, Einstein, Planck, Watson, Crick and their colleagues." - Richard Dawkins

www.suburbanrocketry.com

skippy
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby skippy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:05 pm

Post Offices and agencies are cutting down on the number of stamps they sell for package posting. The reason is simple: all the stamps in the Post Office are legal tender, they have to be counted, stored, and treated as money. A sticky receipt is just a piece of paper until it is printed. Therefore; less monetary value kept in each Post Office.
"I think people unfairly criticize Wikipedia just because it's often inaccurate... Compared to newspapers, Wikipedia is the word of God." - Max Barry

"Attitude gets altitude". - Me. I said that

krusty
Engineer
Engineer

Postby krusty » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:36 am

Bones wrote:This is what I see when I drop the packages off and pay delivery. They print a receipt and stick it on the box. It's all a bit of a mystery!

I don't usually print "Top Load Only" stickers just so happens there wasn't a lot of packaging above your product because your box was pretty full...

Glad it arrived nice and quick Krusty.

I must really remember not to open your boxes at work!! I had to ditch all the foam beads and still struggled to fit everything back in - you must have been amazing at Tetris!!

And not much packaging???!! I must have at least 2.5m of bubblewrap alone!! :shock:

I think I could jump up and down on the box and still not have any damage (not that I'd try, of course!)

I really do appreciate the care that goes into packing my orders, everything has always arrived in perfect condition :)

Krusty

Bones
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Bones » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:13 pm

No problems!

Orders are packaged to survive. Nobody wants to open a box full of squashed stuff. I know how I feel when it happens to me....

Skippy,
That makes a lot of sense. I never though of stamps as legal tender but yeah, I suppose a $5.00 stamp is no different to a $5.00 note. Might as well stick them on a box in rather than have to account for the bucks.

Mystery solved!

www.suburbanrocketry.com

Return to “Suburban Rocketry”