Suburban Rocketry

Suburban Rocketry has closed

Moderator: Moderators

Bones
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Bones » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:00 pm

Tonight I will be adding the FlyCamOne2 camera to the range at Suburban Rocketry.

I will be offering these for $145.00ea.

Hobby Lobby advertise these for US$98.80. I suppose after the conversion rate and shipping you will pay around AU$135.00 when buying direct from the states.

I have sourced these from Mongrel Gear Australia who are located in Australia. This is good because they will offer a warranty service and support if necessary.

While my price isn't great when compared to Hobby Lobby, hopefully having them on my shelf available for immediate dispatch and being able to offer back-up service for the product through Mongrel Gear Australia might be an attractive option.

I haven't done a flight test myself yet, just goofed around with it scaring the kids and catching the wife in the shower, but I think they might be a nice alternative to the Booster Vision system.
"You could give Aristotle a tutorial. And you could thrill him to the core of his being ... Such is the privilege of living after Newton, Darwin, Einstein, Planck, Watson, Crick and their colleagues." - Richard Dawkins

www.suburbanrocketry.com

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:11 pm

Any sample shots that you can show us? (not necessarily the X-rated ones)
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)

Bones
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Bones » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:22 pm

Not at this stage but I know air.command has some onboard video shot with the FlycamOne2 from the Australia Day launch.
"You could give Aristotle a tutorial. And you could thrill him to the core of his being ... Such is the privilege of living after Newton, Darwin, Einstein, Planck, Watson, Crick and their colleagues." - Richard Dawkins

www.suburbanrocketry.com

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:59 pm

That sounds great Bones! Having them locally will sure make it easier for people.

I did put up the onboard video on YouTube, but of course they down sample it to 400 something by 300 something and then they compress the heck out of it so the final image quality you see on YouTube is not as clear.

I'd love to see the quality of the still images from the camera from altitude. The resolution is suppose to be 1280 x 1024. I am not sure how blurry it will be though with the fast motion of the rocket even at apogee as it tips over. I guess the more light you have the better.

Only one way to find out right?.... :D
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

astroboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby astroboy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:02 pm

Very 8) Nice one Bones

Im very interested in the still quality too. thats a decent resolution.
Keep us posted guys.
Satans stooge.

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:19 pm

Hi Astro,

Here is an unedited photo I took when I first got the camera.

Click on the link below to see the full resolution image:

http://picasaweb.google.com/katz.george/Misc/photo#5163467026556570466

You can click the zoom icon in picasa to see the full image(takes a few seconds to change from the preview mode to the full res). The image is not as sharp as higher end cameras with the same resolution I think mostly because of the tiny lens, but still for a camera intended for shooting video its not bad.

astroboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby astroboy » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:28 pm

Hey thats pretty cool. i'm gonna have to get me one of those (when I can afford it!!)
Satans stooge.

Rhodes
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Rhodes » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:39 pm

Yes astro I agree. :lol:

Bones
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Bones » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:54 pm

air.command wrote:I guess the more light you have the better.

I can back this comment up as well. I shot a few stills and found it quite grainy in low light.

Looking forward to a sunny day so I can give it a good test....

www.suburbanrocketry.com

astroboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby astroboy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:50 pm

Has anyone tried using photography to get an altitude? Apparently you use 2 markers on the ground and measure the distance on a photo taken at apogee. scale and bobs you're uncle. Haven't given it a go before so I don't know if its practical.
Satans stooge.

Sumo310
L3 Perfectionist
L3 Perfectionist

Postby Sumo310 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:27 pm

I can see that method being very unreliable astro - there are too many factors to take into consideration, such as rotation, where you've placed the markers, whether the rocket flys straight up etc.
L3

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:16 pm

astroboy wrote:Has anyone tried using photography to get an altitude? Apparently you use 2 markers on the ground and measure the distance on a photo taken at apogee. scale and bobs you're uncle. Haven't given it a go before so I don't know if its practical.

Astro,

We have used the technique on a number of occasions and it is relatively accurate but as Sumo310 points out it is only possible under certain conditions. The two times we used it we had a clear view of the ground from apogee directly below the rocket where there happened to be a baseball diamond. (which we later measured with a tape measure)

(The blue and white lines were put over the image to make it easier to measure. - You can see how much we had to rotate the image about the center)

We had to rotate the image in order to take accurate measurements, and also took a calibration image at 1m with the same camera to get the true FOV angle (can't necessarily rely on what the cam spec says)

The altitude we measured with the technique was within a few meters of what altitude the simulator predicted.

The other time there was a big 10m x 10m grid on the football field we were flying on so that made it also easy to calculate.

Using the calibration image we used the "Similar Triangles" method to get the altitude.

astroboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby astroboy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:55 pm

Very cool. Thanx for the tip. :lol: I'll try that
Satans stooge.

Bones
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Bones » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:54 pm

Quick thank-you to Kryten.

I have had all the BT80 tubes listed as having an ID of 2.588" when they should have read 2.558" ID. :oops:

It's a typo that got duplicated for all BT80 tubes, but has now been corrected.

www.suburbanrocketry.com

Sumo310
L3 Perfectionist
L3 Perfectionist

Postby Sumo310 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:51 pm

Bones, do you sell large qunatities of small rockets, for example, something a class of primary school students could buy 30 of and build?

We had a few enquiries from people, including a teacher at the weekend launch and I know Suburban Rocketry was mentioned on a few occasions.
L3

Return to “Suburban Rocketry”