Packed by Bones

Suburban Rocketry has closed

Moderator: Moderators

skippy
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Packed by Bones

Postby skippy » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:16 pm

Bones takes his baox packing seriously, and with good reason. I had a box of goodies arrive today, and despite being marked 'Fragile' and 'Please do not crush', the Aus Post drones had played their standard game of 'Throw the parcel'.

The outside:

Newspaper:

Bubblewrap:

Foam beans. Note the reinforcing cardboard:

My goodies, all safe and sound:

The hole in the box from the inside. See what a good job that reinforcing cardboard does?

That, gentlemen, is how to pack a box.

Thanks Bones! We all appreciate your efforts.
"I think people unfairly criticize Wikipedia just because it's often inaccurate... Compared to newspapers, Wikipedia is the word of God." - Max Barry

"Attitude gets altitude". - Me. I said that

Bones
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Bones » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:12 pm

As I said to Skippy in an e-mail, unbelievable....

To me that looks like somebody was having a bad Friday arvo and stuck the boot into it.

To date (without boasting), I have not had a single breakage in any of my deliveries and some of the delivered boxes have been sadder looking than this one.

It is frustrating though, I pack my deliveries so they can be dropped and take some abuse but I do wish the guys and girls at Aussie post would at least show a little more care....

Not sure what the solution is here, if any. I think Registered Post parcels get handled a little nicer but the fright cost increases. I constantly get challenged now with the price of freight from customers so I don't think the extra $3.00 would be very warmly welcomed.
"You could give Aristotle a tutorial. And you could thrill him to the core of his being ... Such is the privilege of living after Newton, Darwin, Einstein, Planck, Watson, Crick and their colleagues." - Richard Dawkins

www.suburbanrocketry.com

Wombat Old
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Wombat Old » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:13 pm

I guess it kinda depends on the value of the contents. I would feel differently about a box with a few BT50 tubes than I would about a box full of RMS hardware.
What kind of person WRITES a maniacal laugh?

TRA#11586
L0 (so far)

skippy
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby skippy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:49 pm

The Wombat wrote:I guess it kinda depends on the value of the contents. I would feel differently about a box with a few BT50 tubes than I would about a box full of RMS hardware.

The problem is; OzPost don't know what the contents are. They are meant to treat all packages equally. (Cue Animal Farm package jokes...).

Bones, I'm sure your 'regulars' don't query you about postage costs.

I have shown the pictures to the Postmaster at the local PO and apparently "some questions are going to be asked". If you have a damaged package, even if the contents are fine, fill in a Customer Service Complaint form. It is a green self carbon-copy form, they have plenty of them so grab a handful It is the only way to complain legitimately about the way your parcels are treated.
"I think people unfairly criticize Wikipedia just because it's often inaccurate... Compared to newspapers, Wikipedia is the word of God." - Max Barry

Wombat Old
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Wombat Old » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:55 pm

I was more meaning like whether I'd ask for it to be sent Regular or Registered.

(I wonder how they handle boxes full of complaint forms...)

TRA#11586

L0 (so far)

skippy
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby skippy » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:38 pm

The Wombat wrote:I was more meaning like whether I'd ask for it to be sent Regular or Registered.

(I wonder how they handle boxes full of complaint forms...)

Yes, but a box of RMS hardware is less likely to be damaged than a box of Bt50s...

:shock:

Wombat Old
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Wombat Old » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:43 am

True, but the point was that the willingness to pay extra for 'premium' freight is based on a perceived 'loss risk'. That being the trade-off between the extra cost of freight and the reduction in risk times the cost of the contents. For expensive contents like RMS hardware, even a small reduction of risk of damage would justify the extra cost. For a couple of BT50 tubes, the freight already costs more than the replacement cost of extra tubes.

TRA#11586

L0 (so far)

skippy
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby skippy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:00 am

True, and of course it would be a moot point if the drones at OzPost simply cared about what they were doing.

:x

whipfest
Engineer
Engineer

Postby whipfest » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:09 am

If you've just spent $80 or $100 on kits and other bits and pieces, another $3 sounds like a small price to pay for peace of mind. It doesn't take much to bend a tube, or snap some balsa.

Although, with the way Bones packs his items, AusPost would have to totally crush the box before anything got damaged... :)

Wombat Old
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Wombat Old » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:09 pm

They'll just have to try harder then...

TRA#11586

L0 (so far)

RocketPants
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby RocketPants » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:41 pm

I've only given Bones one order so far (shame on me!) and it was as well packed as everybody else's.

I think that his P&P charges are very reasonable - pretty well at cost. Although it looks like an extra slug on top of an order, when you consider the cost of fuel, parking, time etc to get to a shop and buy the stuff, it's a good deal. We tend to order a lot of stuff online - if the delivery charges are reasonable, and it does save a lot of hassle. I must admit that our Mr Parcel Man from Australia Post is terrific - if we're not home, he'll carefully wrap up the parcel in a delivery bag, pop it over the side fence and leave a note under the door. There have even been a couple of times that he has tried to drop something in that needs a signature, he's realised that it is school drop-off time and he has driven up to school becuase he know's the way we walk there. Now that's service!!!

I'm pleased to pay delivery to somebody like Bones that is is supporting the hobby, and saving me a lot of trouble.

Cheers,
RocketPants

water rocketry man
Engineer
Engineer

Postby water rocketry man » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:38 pm

I think personaly where im livinmg the time for the box toget here is really quick :shock: im really pleased with the quality of the tube.Everytime when i open the box and i order a couple of tube and when i open the box i only see two seprate tube when i orderd four i always ge shocked then i find the smaller tubes in side the bigger one . :D

Avachovy
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Avachovy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:43 pm

bones, your a packing champion!

i remember when my box arrived, i couldn't get the thing open! :lol:
But everything arrived safe, sound and wrapped in foam!

you couldn't have done a better job, keep it up!

(i now have myself a debit card, moar online ordering! :D )
Will fly beer for rockets

Return to “Suburban Rocketry”