Who bought Gorilla Motors?

Discussion of rocketry events/launches and current news

Moderator: Moderators

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Re: Who bought Gorilla Motors?

Postby drew » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:19 pm

Viking wrote:Yeah it was the self-entitled demand that he attempted to hide under a veil of officialdom that got my back up.
Admitting he'd done wrong was a step in the right direction(I suspect he was advised to do so), but I didn't see any apology to Jim, not publicly anyway.

I didn't see any admission of wrongdoing myself. Maybe it was modded/posted and then removed by TRF mods?
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 23,908ft - K300 - Balls 22
Max V - 2,488 ft/s, ~Mach 2.2 - M2250 - THUNDA 2015

Viking
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Viking » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:48 pm

Yes he eventually came back with his tail between his legs, not long after that the thread got cleaned up. Close to a full page got deleted as far as I can tell.
Simon
WARS #24 / AMRS #54 L1

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:09 pm

Viking wrote:Yes he eventually came back with his tail between his legs, not long after that the thread got cleaned up. Close to a full page got deleted as far as I can tell.

Good. What a sh*tshow.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:41 pm

There might be a requirement in the regulations to that requires those changes be reported, but it was handled in a very peremptory way.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:48 pm

OverTheTop wrote:There might be a requirement in the regulations to that requires those changes be reported, but it was handled in a very peremptory way.

Who's regulations? Most motor manufacturers do hobby stuff as a pittance of a side business when compared to their core business of selling big motors to the likes of military, aerospace, and industrial applications. I know that's the case with both AeroTech and CTI. So expecting them to kowtow to the likes of the TMT is laughable at best. Very "cart before the horse" imo.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:08 pm

Regulations are a requirement for commercial motors. We don't buy research motors.

Regulations are what keeps us safe with things like cars, electronic equipment, buildings, and lots of other stuff. Regulations are usually introduced because somebody has cut corners in the past and caused bad outcomes for someone along the way.

There needs to be a balance between regulations, moral duties and common sense. Unfortunately some people come up short on one or more of these from time to time. It is regulations that keep you, me and everyone else relatively safe.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Postby martymonsta » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:31 pm

What does TMT have to do with anything? If anyone is L1.5 or higher then you should have read NFPA 1127 and know that it doesn't require TMT to be involved in the certification of a motor. Provided that the NFPA requirements are met, as Jim said
They do not need new testing data if the formulas are to be the same.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

Scoop1261
L3 Rocket GURU
L3 Rocket GURU

Postby Scoop1261 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:53 pm

I for one would love to see a transcript of the BS if anyone happened to save it!
Why Limit Yourself?

AMRS #4 - L3 |TRA #11080 - L3 |MDRA #263

Impulse: A Whole Lot ..So much I've lost count!

Viking
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Viking » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:32 pm

Scoop1261 wrote:...if anyone happened to save it!

Sorry I didn't save it, I should've anticipated that the mods would chop it up.
Simon
WARS #24 / AMRS #54 L1

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:55 pm

I checked the wayback machine and it wasn't there. I also had a look at Google Cache and they didn't have the aforementioned comments cached. Apologies Dave, I should have screenshotted it when I had the chance.

As per regulations and motors, I found it rich that Tripoli TMT was trying to extract the new owner identity from Jim despite him stating in his OP that he wasn't at liberty to divulge that information. I found it doubly rich when I recollect the fact that the most dangerous CATO I've ever witnessed (and felt the shockwave from) was none other than the Tripoli BoD Q research motor powered rocket at Balls. We were out setting up for Passaretti's N5800 flight (IIRC) and these cowboys lit a P that had grains that on the inside looked like basalt there were so many air pockets in them. Then it was revealed that the person who poured the motor had never poured a P or a motor that diameter before. I know what the grains looked like because I picked up a couple grain fragments and carried them back to camp. Ironically enough it was Jim Harris who made a face like someone shat in his cornflakes when I showed him the quality of the grains. He was appalled that ANYONE would attempt to fly a motor with grains of such poor quality. Simple questions like "why didn't they make some spare grains to cut into to ensure the pour was suitable" were tossed around.

I lost a lot of respect for the Tripoli BoD that day. Conversely I gained a healthy fear of incredibly large EX motors that day. IMO it's not the commercial motor manufacturers that we need to worry about, it's the hobbyist cowboys who think they know more than they do and carry that hubris into their flight attempts. Incredibly large EX motors are more likely to pipe bomb CATO when compared to ANY commercially manufactured motor offering. As such I feel the scrutiny regarding commercial motor manufacturers in Jim's sale thread is misplaced, the Tripoli TMT should be hounding EX guys to provide them sample motors for testing, not Jim Harris, nor any other commercial manufacturer. Odds are that they're the ones most likely to CATO and therefore they should be the ones who receive the most scrutiny.

Edited to reflect it was a Q motor, not a P.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3

Viking
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Viking » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:20 pm

drew wrote:...I found it rich that Tripoli TMT...

I'm not sure he was acting on behalf of the TMT. His words read, to me, as though he felt he was now in a privileged position and could use that to get the information he wanted to satisfy his own curiosity. It was full of 'I' and 'Me', not 'us' or 'we'.
Then with his subsequent back-pedaling and claiming he was just trying to help Jim out, I figured he'd got a PM or Email from someone, probably along the lines of.. "Dude, what the F* are you doing?!" but that's just conjecture.
Simon
WARS #24 / AMRS #54 L1

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:21 pm

Pics or it didn't happen, amirite?

Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:45 pm

Viking wrote:
drew wrote:...I found it rich that Tripoli TMT...

I'm not sure he was acting on behalf of the TMT. His words read, to me, as though he felt he was now in a privileged position and could use that to get the information he wanted to satisfy his own curiosity. It was full of 'I' and 'Me', not 'us' or 'we'.
Then with his subsequent back-pedaling and claiming he was just trying to help Jim out, I figured he'd got a PM or Email from someone, probably along the lines of.. "Dude, what the F* are you doing?!" but that's just conjecture.

Please don't take this the wrong way Simon, I'm not attempting to have a go at you, but I'm not sure I care. He was a TMT member and attempting to leverage his "official capacity" to get information he had already been told wasn't to be provided. I find it amazing the entitled attitude so many in our hobby carry into their interactions with others. The phrase distilled weaponised autism comes to mind. Sometimes I wonder what's worse; 4chan, or TRF. Both are abysmal at times. The sense of entitlement many people carry into our hobby and display in their interactions with others really rustles my jimmies. Try to help someone out and you get accused of being a neophyte, or worse. Try to add to the discussion and you get shot down because people don't know you. Try to call out someone for the total bullsh*t they're spinning and you get set upon by hordes of fanboys. In some ways it's amazing really. It's like some sort of nightmare high school clique.

It's the people that make this hobby. If it weren't for Blake we'd all be up the proverbial sh*t creek down here. And yet people want to p*ss in his cornflakes like it's some sort of sport. Same goes for Scoop, he and Mel bust their tuchuses CONSTANTLY and get very little if any recognition, much less thanks, for their work. In all honesty it's what bothers me the most about this hobby. It IS a hobby, and yet so many flyers carry themselves like they're one of the Mercury Seven. Get over yourselves. Show a modicum of respect. If you don't like the other side of the fence that's fine. If you go out of your way to attempt to put the f on em then you can get f*cked.

Sorry for the soapbox post, but I'm so incredibly sick of this sh*t.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:25 pm

Ladies and Gentleman, FYI, as a long standing customer and personal friend of Dr Jim Harris and Gorilla Rocket Motors, I gave him a quick call to make sure everything was OK in the jungle. As a highly respected manufacturer, he assures me that everything is above board and some simple minded people have decided to use their freedom of speech to voice their opinions before checking fact.

What does this mean... whilst we did not get into detailed discussion about who has taken over Gorilla, it is clear that this fantastic product will continue to be available in the future.

Now, on with what we do best on this forum and that is talk about rockets and have a good time!

p.s. Drew, you are a true gentleman, but don't waste your time on this BS, you have better things to do like cook me a deep fried turkey since I will be in WA in 2 days.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:42 am

Looks like they have updated their website, but still no details on the purchaser.

The video of a very big and loud Australian Rocketry taking off did however get my attention and made me wonder if it has always been there :?:
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 10,849 feet
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

Return to “News & Events”