Discussion of rocketry events/launches and current news

Moderator: Moderators

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Chinese satellite in wrong orbit

Postby kopius » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:16 pm

Whoops...

Ground controllers could try to salvage a Chinese television broadcasting satellite deployed in a lower-than-planned orbit Sunday by a Long March 3B rocket.

A brief statement from the China Aerospace Science and Technology Corp., a state-run contractor for China’s space program, confirmed an anomaly in the Long March 3B rocket’s third stage left the Chinasat 9A communications satellite in the wrong orbit following a liftoff from the Xichang space center...

https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/06/19/c ... t-failure/
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Chinese satellite in wrong orbit

Postby SpaceManMat » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:28 am

Short and in the wrong inclination. Sounds like someone stuffed the coordinates.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 10,849 feet
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:12 pm

Stage 3 anomaly I believe.

Short and in the wrong inclination. Sounds like someone stuffed the coordinates.

Not likely. Too short burn on S3 would have the required effect. Inclination can be corrected (and indeed normally needs to be as most GEO satellites are not launched from the equator) by an additional delta-V, of typically 1-2 km/s.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:12 pm

OverTheTop wrote:Stage 3 anomaly I believe.

Not likely. Too short burn on S3 would have the required effect. Inclination can be corrected (and indeed normally needs to be as most GEO satellites are not launched from the equator) by an additional delta-V, of typically 1-2 km/s.

I need to brush up on GEO orbits, makes sense but I had thought changes in inclination are difficult. Although thinking about it at apogee in a highly elliptical orbit the velocity will be relatively small so a burn at the right angle should be able to alter the inclination relatively easy. Just need apogee to line up over the equator.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 10,849 feet
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

Return to “News & Events”