CRG’s June 2019 HPR Launch at Ardlethan

Canberra Rocketry Group

Moderator: Moderators

Voyager
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

CRG’s June 2019 HPR Launch at Ardlethan

Postby Voyager » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:36 pm

Canberra Rocketry Group's 2nd high power launch for 2019 will take place from Saturday 29th to Sunday 30th of June at our Ardlethan launch site, weather permitting.

The Ardlethan launch site currently has a ceiling of 15,000 feet and is located in wide open paddocks with few trees. We will also be launching low and mid power rockets.

Launching will kick off about 8:30 each morning and will wrap up at 5pm each day, except Sunday when we pack up at around midday. If you would like to come along, let us know through either a message on Facebook or through email to canberrarocketry@ozemail.com.au

CRG has the launch equipment to launch low, mid power rockets on rods and high power rockets on 1010 rail (up to 3 metres long) and 1515 rail (3.6 meters) on a reinforced frame. We have hybrid launch capability, but rocketeers are more than welcome to bring along their own launch kit if they need something that we do not have. Contact us via our email address and we can discuss if our kit fits your system.

Interstate flyers interested in launching with us at Ardlethan are most welcome and should contact us for further details by emailing canberrarocketry@ozemail.com.au. CRG is a Tripoli prefecture, so a current TRA membership is necessary for participating.

Ardlethan is about 3½ hours from Canberra, 4½ hours from Sydney and about 5 hours from Melbourne. Head to the CRG website (http://canberrarocketry.no-ip.org/) and go to the High Power page for more details on the site. Click on the following link for a Google maps link showing the location of Ardlethan – http://goo.gl/maps/z3jXW.

Accommodation in Ardlethan is at the London Hotel with both motel style and pub rooms available. To book accommodation give Jason a call on 02 6978 2300.There is also a B&B operated by Del Garett that people can stay at – Del can be contacted on 0457 905 005. Accommodation is also available at the Beckom Hotel a few km from Ardlethan.
TRA 14574 L2 (CRG)
AMRS 199 L2 (NSWRA)

Voyager
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Re: CRG’s June 2019 HPR Launch at Ardlethan

Postby Voyager » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:41 pm

Please be advised that this weekend's CRG HPR launch at Ardlethan is currently under review due to less than acceptable weather conditions for Saturday. There is forecast of 10 - 15 mm of rain and winds of 20 - 40 km/h throughout the day.

We will make a go/no go call tomorrow afternoon/evening. We are considering the possibility of re-scheduling the launch to the following weekend and will advise as soon as possible.
TRA 14574 L2 (CRG)
AMRS 199 L2 (NSWRA)

Voyager
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Voyager » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:48 am

Due to the adverse weather forecast for this Saturday at Ardlethan, with rain and 20-40 km/h winds, we have decided to postpone the launch until further notice. The alternative date has not been decided yet as there are several conflicting elements, including the availability of local accommodation. Please check the CRG's website () and Facebook page () to stay informed.
TRA 14574 L2 (CRG)
AMRS 199 L2 (NSWRA)

Voyager
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Voyager » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:34 pm

It appears our concerns about the forecast wind conditions at Ardlethan today were well-founded. The wind speeds for the area did not dip much below 30 km/h from around 8:30 AM, with gusting up to 65 km/h throughout the day.

At this stage we are looking at a possible re-schedule for the launch to the 3rd and 4th of August. Please refer to the CRG website () and Facebook page () for updates.
TRA 14574 L2 (CRG)
AMRS 199 L2 (NSWRA)

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Postby CATO » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:00 am

Well, after 20 years of being a TRA card carrying member, I finally got the opportunity to attend my first TRA launch at the recent CRG Ardlethan HPR launch. I launched the 1/2 scale Patriot on a CTI M2080 sparky... :)

What can I say, the launch site was great, the farmer even goes as far as to reserve a "permanent" patch of ground for CRG to utilise as a launch site. I had the opportunity to meet the farmer, what a fantastic bloke, and he has a love for rocketry (who could ask for more), the CRG team welcomed me with open arms and went out of their way to assist me in every aspect of the launch...

After the launch, we headed back to town were the local community held a BBQ and bonfire (all rocketry participates welcome) :shock: ...

What a great event, I see a great future for the CRG team and the Ardlethan launch site...

CRG_1_sm.jpg
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3 RSO
TRA 07459 L3

Voyager
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Voyager » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:05 am

The lads were very pleased to have you there CATO. Looks like you had a great launch. I couldn’t make it myself as I’m currently in Alaska. Hope to see you there in September, although that might clash with the Mullaley launch, unfortunately.

We’ve been having great launches out at Ardlethan for 7 years now. As you found out, our landowner Jim and his family are the best! It’s been our little secret, but the word is out now!
TRA 14574 L2 (CRG)
AMRS 199 L2 (NSWRA)

Return to “Canberra Rocketry Group”