Motors in Canberra

Canberra Rocketry Group

Moderator: Moderators

icarus
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Motors in Canberra

Postby icarus » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:52 pm

I had a chat to the guy that owns Monaro Models and Hobbies in Fyshwick. They don't carry much of a selection of motors but they are happy to make individual orders if you ask.

Their supplier apparently stocks aerotech, estes and quest motors.

Although not as cheap as on the forum, its convenient if you missed a bulk order.

If a few people order together, he's happy to knock off a bit of the price.

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Re: Motors in Canberra

Postby kopius » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:13 am

On't worry if you have missed a bulk order, I generally have a fair bit of stock on hand.

If you get a group order together let me know and I am sure I can sort it out for you. Just email info@ausrocketry.com.au
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

icarus
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby icarus » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:16 am

Even better! :D

I think the big issue is still getting a resonable sized launch site. I know I can't find one...

bpratt
Engineer
Engineer

Postby bpratt » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:20 am

icarus wrote:Even better! :D

I think the big issue is still getting a resonable sized launch site. I know I can't find one...

Isn't there a large big green area in the middle of a large roundabout down there ?? It's even got a very large launch rod someone has put a big flag on. :)

:lol:

icarus
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby icarus » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:19 am

yeah, but its runined by the elected locals :P

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:14 pm

Canberra also has some peculiarites wrt motors
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)

knight
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby knight » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:02 pm

Yeah i've come a cropper on both those issues.

Lake george which would make a nice launch site, is owned by the government, who won't do anything due to a land claim on the place (oh and they want a development application to run a launch)

Motors, technically even the A-D motors are illegal in the ACT, but no-one (workcover) seems interested in policing it. *shrugs* Canberra....
...Was it meant to do that?

TRA (L0): 12747

icarus
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby icarus » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:52 pm

Lake George would be nice, but as you pointed out knight, there are issues - ironically it probably actually has water in it at the moment!

As for motors being technically illegal in the ACT, I'm a bit confused - I was pretty sure an explosive licence is required for anything with more than 62.5g of propellant.

Blantantly plagerising from http://canberrarocketry.no-ip.org/ "In the Australian Capital Territory, the use of model & hobby rocketry motors ("propulsion devices") is regulated through the Dangerous Substances Act 2004 and the Dangerous Substances (Explosives) Regulation 2004. These instruments make provision for model rocket motors, and define those to be "commercially manufactured devices designed for the propulsion of model rockets" "

I guess the strange bit is that a model rocket motor must not have more than 62.5g of propellant and not generate more than 80 newtons thrust - assumed to mean total impulse and therefore up to F motors without an explosives licence.

If I'm wrong on any part, more than happy to be corrected! :)

knight wrote:Yeah i've come a cropper on both those issues.

Curiosity is getting the better of me - what did you do wrong with motors? :shock:

knight
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby knight » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:17 am

icarus wrote:
knight wrote:Yeah i've come a cropper on both those issues.

Curiosity is getting the better of me - what did you do wrong with motors? :shock:

Oh nothing, I just meant like like lake George i ran into a brick wall when trying to deal with the regulations around motors.

The brick wall's name was workcover....what would we do without government bureaucracy...
...Was it meant to do that?

TRA (L0): 12747

icarus
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby icarus » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:29 am

knight wrote:Oh nothing, I just meant like like lake George i ran into a brick wall when trying to deal with the regulations around motors.

What were their issues? Was it just because it wasn't private land? If I find somewhere suitable in the ACT I might PM you for more details if thats ok, so I can head off some of the bureaucracy?

As far as my own efforts to find a launch site suitable for resonable sized motors, I'm down to the last person I know that might have a farm we can use. Its past Goulburn... I'm not sure whether being in NSW will complicate things or make it easier...

Tarpazium
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Tarpazium » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:04 pm

bpratt wrote:
Isn't there a large big green area in the middle of a large roundabout down there ?? It's even got a very large launch rod someone has put a big flag on. :)

:lol:

Yes Brendan, I thought this had already been pointed out to our southern brothers of just how keen the rest of the Australian Rocketry community would be to drop by to try out their new launch rail .....

See previous POST.

Tarp
“Measure what is measurable, and make measurable what is not so.”

[IMG]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m149/tarpazium/jz1afQl.gif[/IMG]

whipfest
Engineer
Engineer

Postby whipfest » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:21 am

icarus wrote:Its past Goulburn... I'm not sure whether being in NSW will complicate things or make it easier...

It should be easier. All of the issues regarding WorkCover certification etc. have already been resolved by NSWRA.

Send Blackbird (on this forum) a PM, asking for details & ideas, or alternatively have a look at the NSWRA website, and send an email on the contact page.

http://www.nswrocketry.org.au

8)
What were you thinking about as you sat atop the Redstone rocket, waiting for liftoff?

"The fact that every part of this ship was built by the low bidder"

Alan Shepard

whipfest
Engineer
Engineer

Postby whipfest » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:27 am

Just a thought, shouldn't the ARA be sorting this all out for you?
What were you thinking about as you sat atop the Redstone rocket, waiting for liftoff?

"The fact that every part of this ship was built by the low bidder"

Alan Shepard

icarus
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby icarus » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:45 pm

whipfest wrote:Just a thought, shouldn't the ARA be sorting this all out for you?

Ummmm... not sure....

I'm pretty new to this. But do agree with the advantage of going to NSW, though we'll still need to sort out the regulation governing the storage of high power motors in the ACT.

Mind you, I'll need to finish my level 1 cert rocket first!

Return to “Canberra Rocketry Group”