Canberra Rocketry Group

Moderator: Moderators

Scoop1261
L3 Rocket GURU
L3 Rocket GURU

Re: CRG High Power launch 6th and 7th July

Postby Scoop1261 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:10 pm

Busterandjo wrote:
Just had a quick read of the TRA Level 1 certification requirements and processes and the ARA ones we use are pretty much the same.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the response, and I guess people may be wondering why the question is being asked in the first place.

I'll cut to the chase.

As part of the team working on Thunda 2015, which is NOT specifically a TRA event we are trying to consider how to be inclusive to flyers from various associations (both locally and internationally). One of the issues being raised is reciprocity or recognition of other codes, and quite frankly "pretty much the same" does not cut it.

With all due respect, I did not want to compare with the TRA process, but since you have raised the point; I can see no comparison with specific regard to certifying officers in the ARA HPR Certification procedures.

Keen to understand further in an effort to be inclusive, so back to the original question.

"What was the process used in certifying CRG members to level one on the weekend just past?"
Why Limit Yourself?

AMRS #4 - L3 |TRA #11080 - L3 |MDRA #263

Impulse: A Whole Lot ..So much I've lost count!

Busterandjo
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby Busterandjo » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:32 pm

Hi Scoop1261

Sorry, my answer was not intended as a comprehensive answer but rather as an answer to your "small question", nor was it intended to be facetious in any way and I apologise if it has come across that way as it was certainly not intended.

Now that I am aware of the actual intent of your initial question, I will hand it over to our co-ordinator to answer either by way of an answer on this or another perhaps more appropriate thread or by way of PM to yourself.

Cheers

Tony

NevB
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby NevB » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:19 pm

Scoop1261 and all.

The question of comparisons between the ARA's HPR certification protocols and those of the TRA, NAR etc has been raised on a number of occasions, and I've personally had a few long chats on the matter of the Thunda event and the acceptance or otherwise of ARA certified members for participation.

The standards in place and used by the ARA for HPR certification are detailed in the Association's 'Blue Book' - publicly avaialble for scrutiny at:
http://www.australianrocketryclub.com.au/downloads/bluebook.pdf.

As you know, like the TRA, NAR and others, these standards are not based in legislation - they are a protocol put in place for self-regulation of safety and procedural matters. From a regulatory standpoint, it is the Civil Aviation Safety Authority and whatever agency regulates the use of explosives in the particular state concerned (i.e. WorkCover NSW) that have relevant jurisdictional control under law. Both agencies have accepted the ARA's provisions as sufficient to meet the appropriate safety standards for conduct of HPR operations.

Back to the question asked - Three CRG members were certified L1 at our first launch in April 2013. The successful certification attempts were conducted in accordance with the procedures in the Blue Book and overseen by two ARA approved FTOs. Subsequently during our July event, two more members conducted sucessful L1 certification attempts, again per the Blue Book procedures and overseen by two ARA approved FTOs.

From my perspective, I'd be very happy to have an unbiased and professional discussion with anyone over the differences in the various standards, and specifically, how those differences would lead to such deficiency in competency that people certified to those standards should be excluded from an event run by another organisation.

As a safety professional myself (aviation) I'm quite satisfied that the ARA's procedures are quite effective in establishing and maintaining the necessary competencies for profficient and safe high power rocketry operations, and I'm sure that my colleagues in the CRG would not be satisfied otherwise.

Trust that this long answer to a short question assists. Grab me via PM if you'd like to follow up. Happy to yak.

Cheers,

Nev. Blyth
Coordinator, Canberra Rocketry Group

Scoop1261
L3 Rocket GURU
L3 Rocket GURU

Postby Scoop1261 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:59 pm

Busterandjo wrote:
Sorry, my answer was not intended as a comprehensive answer but rather as an answer to your "small question", nor was it intended to be facetious in any way and I apologise if it has come across that way as it was certainly not intended.

Tony

Hi Tony,

No offence taken, and I too apologize as my question was probably poorly worded.
I have not taken your response as facetious, and hope you have not viewed my question out of context.

I still need to read over Nev's reply and digest it a little before adding comment or seek further clarification.

Cheers
Why Limit Yourself?

Scoop1261
L3 Rocket GURU
L3 Rocket GURU

Postby Scoop1261 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:31 pm

Nev,

Thanks for your response. With so many logistical tasks to be accomplished leading up to ARTDU 2015, the management team will continue to work on what is undoubtedly going to be a SPECTACULAR event. With a number of discussions happening with various international groups, we trust that those groups who are compliant with the event guidelines will have a very enjoyable and unforgettable experience in 2015.
Why Limit Yourself?

NevB
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby NevB » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:01 pm

Undoubtably Scoop - undoubtably!

I know that the (growing) CRG team and I are certainly looking forward to the event, and I understand very well the extent of work and effort required by your team to get it all together - even this far out.

A coming together of national and international groups to partcipate in a single big event will be fantastic for the future of rocketry in this country. Bring it on!

Cheers,

Nev. B
Canberra Rocketry Group

Return to “Canberra Rocketry Group”