Looking for some advice - new to rocketry

Discussions on low powered model rockets using E powered motors and below.

Moderator: Moderators

minotaurs_maze
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Looking for some advice - new to rocketry

Postby minotaurs_maze » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:57 pm

Hi All,

I am interested in getting started in rocketry but i am not sure the best way to start out.

I am a bit of a geek so i like electronics etc so i would like to eventually have avionics equipment in the rocket

I wondering if anyone can recommend a kit that could grow and develop and that is modular so i could add a avionics bay etc.

thanks for the help.

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Looking for some advice - new to rocketry

Postby SpaceManMat » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:30 pm

Hi MM,

Welcome to the forums.

Ok if you want to build a rocket with the ability to add an AV bay that's relatively simple with a bit of forward planning. For instance. I flew my Wildman JR short (without the upper body tube and coupler) initially, later I built the avionics bay into the coupler for doing larger motors and dual deployment. Can send you a link if you want, the kit is aimed at high power rocketry but it will give you an idea.

It sounds like your not with a club, I would highly recommend you at least attend one and see what they are doing and talk to them about your plans etc. One thing to keep in mind if your building rockets of size for electronics is that their are legal limits of altitude and motor size, so again a club is a good idea.

Possibly you should consider something like a 2 inch LOC kit, a lot of these have an upper body tube so would be ideal. They are also fairly light so you can stick to mid powered motors.

You didn't really say what electronics you were going to use, this may impact how you build so probably want to have a plan before you buy and get any extra bits you might need.

Mat
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 10,849 feet
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

crom
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby crom » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:11 pm

What SpaceManMat said..... The Wildman JR is perfect for expanding over time:

https://ausrocketry.com.au/wildman-jr.html

Where are you based? The best way to start out is to turn up to a launch day and talk to existing club members... QRS have a big launch day in 9 days time if you are in Brisbane...
QRS #100 President
AMRS #20 L3

http://qldrocketry.com/

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:49 pm

I was only using mine as an example of how you can do it in stages.

Was thinking of something like a Nuke Pro-Maxx which can fly on F and G motors, not as heavy as a Wildman Jr

https://ausrocketry.com.au/kits/2-kits/ ... -maxx.html

And if you want to look at my build, here you can see the entire rocket. If you scroll down to the launch you can see that it was flown without the upper body, this helps keep it light and simple.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4161&hilit=dutchman&start=60#p50808

Latter I put the altimeters in side the coupler, starting about here
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4161&hilit=dutchman&start=90#p52235

lorstin
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby lorstin » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:12 am

Hi, I could recommend a LOC Precision Legacy. Easy enough to build and has a payload section already - flies on F's & G's. The only drawback is the 43mm airframe - not quite as big as the one SpaceManMat mentioned. But even with my heafty home built electronics and a camera pod on the side it could reach 2500' on a G64.
caveat emptor

CATO
Mr Smiley
Mr Smiley

Postby CATO » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:11 am

Welcome to the forum MM...
"In thrust we trust"

AMRS 21 L3

Impulse:
2017: 5,973 Ns (13.14% M)
Ns 16: 34,558; 15: 35,955; 14: 6,016; 13: 10,208
PB - Gorilla N2717WC, H: 10,260', S: 1.14M

minotaurs_maze
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby minotaurs_maze » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:07 pm

Hi Mat The Wildman JR and the LOC kits and the Nuke Pro Maxx looks amazing and is something i want to aspire to :-D

I am not with a club at this stage and i am just sticking to small flights at this stage with something that goes A - C at this stage.

I was thinking as for avionics altimeter, Video Camera probably pine64 computer on a board possibly radio equipment but would need an amateur license for the more advanced stuff.

this could quickly become a very expensive hobby :P

Hi Crom and thanks for the links i am in South Australia so unfortunately Queensland is a bit fair these days sadly i used work up there but couldn't really get into rocketry as i working up there on a FIFO basis. I will have a look at the Adelaide club

i also apologies for the late reply.

Thanks Lorstin for you suggestions they give me even more food for thought i really think this will get expensive quickly.

Hi CATO thanks for the welcome and cool slogan

Thanks for your help and suggestions and i do apologies for the very late reply.

Minotaur's_Maze

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:01 pm

Welcome. Not sure where you are located. I suggest approaching a local club, and maybe going to a local hobby shop (or Australian Rocketry) and getting a small model that perhaps flies on maybe D motors or thereabouts. Follow the instructions and build the rocket (ask questions here too if you need to), then turn up to the club day for some flying :) Learning in that area is a great way of getting the recovery sorted out (up is easy, down is more difficult :wink: ). If you go to a club meeting you don't need to buy or make a launch controller. You also get to meet people and see lots of launches!

Have fun!
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby SpaceManMat » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:36 am

I'm not sure but SA law may require you to be part of a club...

Which if you cannot attend a club in SA then you can join AMRS, they have a membership option for people not associated to clubs.

Return to “Low Powered Rocketry”