SpaceX Falcon 9 and Fairing Flying Model Rocket Kit

Discussions on low powered model rockets using E powered motors and below.

Moderator: Moderators

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Wed May 24, 2017 7:28 pm

Got a mate of mine to bring back some stuff from the SpaceX shop when he was visiting the USA recently. As part of the batch I got two of the Falcon 9 plus Fairing rocket kits. Cost was $29USD each:

kit.jpg

Assembly was simple, and probably a bit slow as I used my usual West Systems epoxy, when five-minute epoxy was specified and probably the best for the task.

The result is something I will fly for the next launch that I manage to get to. It is designed for 24mm D and E motors. It will be the smallest motor I have flown for a long time :)

The body tubes are pre-wrapped with graphics, so there is no painting needed! The fairing does not come with any graphics, so I hunted and managed to find a graphic of the SES-10 mission for the fairing. This was the first mission to fly a reused booster and I have used this on the model as a celebration of their achievement.

WholeRocket.jpg
AftEnd.jpg

No fiberglass has been harmed in the making of this kit :o

I will build the second kit as a static display of the landed first stage. Just need to 3D print the legs and grid fins etc.

For anyone wanting to build a nice cardboard model, there is a nice resource here:
http://axmpaperspacescalemodels.com/ind ... %20SES-10/?

Share and enjoy :D
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 and Fairing Flying Model Rocket Kit

Postby SpaceManMat » Thu May 25, 2017 9:21 am

Nice looking kit. Wonder if Blake will stock them?

I'd have to seriously consider a falcon heavy one...
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 10,849 feet
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

joeman
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby joeman » Thu May 25, 2017 11:46 am

cool. Really like it!!
L1 - Callisto (H133) - 11-Jan-2016

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:47 pm

This was the second flight at the MARS Attacks launch last weekend. It was a nice flight on a D12-5 to about 550'. Chute at apogee. Nice long walk due to a stiff breeze blowing :(

DSC07028resize.JPG

That's the first time for years I have flown anything other than HPR I think. Low stress launch :!:

Interestingly, in the afternoon I was driving back from recovering the Velociraptor and a woman (spectator) came up to me excitedly asking if that was a Falcon 9 on my front seat she had seen as I drove past. She had just finished reading Elon Musk's book and had to have a pic with the F9 model. Nice to see SpaceX generating some excitement about spaceflight again :D . It has taken a long time to get to this point.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

snrkl
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby snrkl » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:59 pm

OverTheTop wrote:This was the second flight at the MARS Attacks launch last weekend. It was a nice flight on a D12-5 to about 550'. Chute at apogee. Nice long walk due to a stiff breeze blowing :(

DSC07028resize.JPG

That's the first time for years I have flown anything other than HPR I think. Low stress launch :!:

Interestingly, in the afternoon I was driving back from recovering the Velociraptor and a woman (spectator) came up to me excitedly asking if that was a Falcon 9 on my front seat she had seen as I drove past. She had just finished reading Elon Musk's book and had to have a pic with the F9 model. Nice to see SpaceX generating some excitement about spaceflight again :D . It has taken a long time to get to this point.

Irony abounds: you posing with your SpaceX Flacon9 wearing a Boeing jacket... ;)

Return to “Low Powered Rocketry”