Flying Low Power in Victoria

Discussions on low powered model rockets using E powered motors and below.

Moderator: Moderators

High Impulse
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Flying Low Power in Victoria

Postby High Impulse » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:12 pm

Hi all,

So recently I moved down to Melbourne from Brisbane and am wanting to get into flying some low power with a guy I met at work.
I used to fly with QRS and do intend on joining MARS and flying some high power stuff with them some time in the future, but for now I just wanted to keep it simple and try and find somewhere closer to where I live to fly Low power.

As such, I've been brushing up on my CASA regulations and was wondering if someone could provide a bit of clarification for me if possible please?
In particular, my work mate and I would like to fly up to E impulse, which exceeds the 20 Ns small model rocket limit, and ideally achieve altitudes greater than 400 ft (but not by too much, probably 1500 ft tops).
So this inherently puts us in the model rocket class and brings me to my main question. In the CASA regs it says you can fly "model rockets" only in approved areas. Now by approved areas does this just mean outside of the 5 nautical mile aerodrome restriction and within class G airspace???

In addition, given my workmate and I live on the central-west side of Melbourne does any know of any good launch sites around that area? Furthermore, does anyone have a good source of (free) airspace maps to determine where class G airpsace ends (I'm assuming it ends when class C starts). Based on a free website (http://xcaustralia.org/aircheck/aircheck.php) I found launch sites out past sunbury seem to meet the airspace and aerodrome requirements but I'm not sure how much to trust online sources.

Finally, given I am new to victoria am i missing any local regulations that I should know about before i go flying? From what i can gather you can purchase rocket motors up to 62.5 g of explosive mass without any licence correct?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Adam
L1: Callisto - H410VM

03flyer
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Re: Flying Low Power in Victoria

Postby 03flyer » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:15 pm

High Impulse wrote:Hi all,

So recently I moved down to Melbourne from Brisbane...

My deepest condolences!! :mrgreen:

You say you want to keep it simple... just use D motors, you can launch them pretty much from anywhere without any authorisation and to ANY HEIGHT- It doesn’t get simpler than that.

Personally, I stay well away from E motors, unless I’m using AT reloads.
Go big or go home

twobit
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby twobit » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:35 pm

Hi Adam,

AirservicesAustralia now publish alot of aviation documentation on their website. This is mainly due to the rise in drones...

For Central West Melbourne, use the Melbourne VTC. For further out use the VNC.
http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip ... 2018&ver=2

The main colour you are looking for is in cyan/blue which indicates Controlled Airspace. A DASHED line is a Controlled Airspace from SFC (Surface) to a height. The SOLID line is from a LL (Lowest Level). It is essentially an upside down wedding cake/tower with small at ground and larger higher up.

Military Controlled Airspace has a similar line but a pinky colour.

The other thing to note is Restricted Airspace (magenta colour thin line with small lines to the side). It follows the same format of a bottom to a top limit. You can refer to ERSA PRD Area for the R### to get more details.

Cheers,
Andrew

QRS - 210
AMRS - 204

Happy Heyoka
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Re: RE: Flying Low Power in Victoria

Postby Happy Heyoka » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:38 pm

High Impulse wrote:Hi all,

So recently I moved down to Melbourne from Brisbane and am wanting to get into flying some low power with a guy I met at work.
I used to fly with QRS and do intend on joining MARS and flying some high power stuff with them some time in the future, but for now I just wanted to keep it simple and try and find somewhere closer to where I live to fly Low power.

As such, I've been brushing up on my CASA regulations and was wondering if someone could provide a bit of clarification for me if possible please?
In particular, my work mate and I would like to fly up to E impulse, which exceeds the 20 Ns small model rocket limit, and ideally achieve altitudes greater than 400 ft (but not by too much, probably 1500 ft tops).
So this inherently puts us in the model rocket class and brings me to my main question. In the CASA regs it says you can fly "model rockets" only in approved areas. Now by approved areas does this just mean outside of the 5 nautical mile aerodrome restriction and within class G airspace???

In addition, given my workmate and I live on the central-west side of Melbourne does any know of any good launch sites around that area? Furthermore, does anyone have a good source of (free) airspace maps to determine where class G airpsace ends (I'm assuming it ends when class C starts). Based on a free website (http://xcaustralia.org/aircheck/aircheck.php) I found launch sites out past sunbury seem to meet the airspace and aerodrome requirements but I'm not sure how much to trust online sources.

Finally, given I am new to victoria am i missing any local regulations that I should know about before i go flying? From what i can gather you can purchase rocket motors up to 62.5 g of explosive mass without any licence correct?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Adam
From the West of Melbourne, TRAAU launches at Serpentine are an easy drive (same or less time vs cross town to MARS at Drouin). Low power welcome.

I always cultivated friends with farms. Sunbury is tricky cause you're on approach to both Tulla and Essendon?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Ha ha ha ha ha! You can't fool me! There ain't no Sanity Clause!
Chico Marx - A Night at the Opera (1935)

High Impulse
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby High Impulse » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:30 pm

Thanks all for the advice and information.

My deepest condolences
I know right, the weather is killing me :(

Well, "simple" is a bit hard to achieve when you've been flying G and H for a few years. D motors just seem so tiny, but they do offer that unlimited height waiver which is good.

Nothing like a good BP E cato to liven up the day

Thanks for the air maps link Andrew, so if I am reading it correctly, that means just to the north west of sunbury is unrestricted airspace to 2500 ft AGL? So you could technically launch anything less than 1500g and less than 320 Ns in that area, assuming you aren't impeding on flight paths?

I have heard that sunbury could be a problem with approach paths Happy Heyoka, so will investigate this further. If you have AMRS membership/certfications will this be recognised with Tripolli australia?

Regards,

Adam
L1: Callisto - H410VM

twobit
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby twobit » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:36 pm

Hi Adam,

That is correct, the Controlled Airspace (C LL 2500) starts at 2500 ft (measured Above Mean Sea Level, remember to take into account your elevation).

Below 2500 ft is Uncontrolled/Class G.

Andrrw
QRS - 210
AMRS - 204

str8up
Children, today we're going to learn about space
Children, today we're going to learn about space

Postby str8up » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:56 am

the weather is killing me :(

But good to hear that you are still alive mate.

Happy Heyoka
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Re: RE: Re: Flying Low Power in Victoria

Postby Happy Heyoka » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:29 pm

High Impulse wrote:If you have AMRS membership/certfications will this be recognised with Tripolli australia?

I'm pretty sure you need to be a paid up member of either Tripoli or TRAAU to fly HPR at Serp.
Your AMRS certification will be recognised.
Not sure about LPR

Time/distance wise it's a pretty similar: 1:47 and 164km to Serp, 1:42 and 140km to Drouin... Personally I'd lay odds on heading out of town being quicker than heading across... YMMV as they say.

Ha ha ha ha ha! You can't fool me! There ain't no Sanity Clause!
Chico Marx - A Night at the Opera (1935)

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: RE: Re: Flying Low Power in Victoria

Postby SpaceManMat » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:35 am

Happy Heyoka wrote:
High Impulse wrote:If you have AMRS membership/certfications will this be recognised with Tripolli australia?

I'm pretty sure you need to be a paid up member of either Tripoli or TRAAU to fly HPR at Serp.
Your AMRS certification will be recognised.
Not sure about LPR

Time/distance wise it's a pretty similar: 1:47 and 164km to Serp, 1:42 and 140km to Drouin... Personally I'd lay odds on heading out of town being quicker than heading across... YMMV as they say.

Here’s how the agreement works:
Insurance is only covered by the club performing the launch, there are no joint launches.
If you want to fly at a Tripoli launch you need to be a Tripoli member.
If you want to fly at an AMRS launch you need to be an AMRS member.
You can present your AMRS certification and Tripoli will recognise it and vice versa.
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

Return to “Low Powered Rocketry”