SpaceX Falcon 9 and Fairing Flying Model Rocket Kit

Discussions on low powered model rockets using E powered motors and below.

Moderator: Moderators

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Wed May 24, 2017 7:28 pm

Got a mate of mine to bring back some stuff from the SpaceX shop when he was visiting the USA recently. As part of the batch I got two of the Falcon 9 plus Fairing rocket kits. Cost was $29USD each:

kit.jpg

Assembly was simple, and probably a bit slow as I used my usual West Systems epoxy, when five-minute epoxy was specified and probably the best for the task.

The result is something I will fly for the next launch that I manage to get to. It is designed for 24mm D and E motors. It will be the smallest motor I have flown for a long time :)

The body tubes are pre-wrapped with graphics, so there is no painting needed! The fairing does not come with any graphics, so I hunted and managed to find a graphic of the SES-10 mission for the fairing. This was the first mission to fly a reused booster and I have used this on the model as a celebration of their achievement.

WholeRocket.jpg
AftEnd.jpg

No fiberglass has been harmed in the making of this kit :o

I will build the second kit as a static display of the landed first stage. Just need to 3D print the legs and grid fins etc.

For anyone wanting to build a nice cardboard model, there is a nice resource here:
http://axmpaperspacescalemodels.com/ind ... %20SES-10/?

Share and enjoy :D
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

SpaceManMat
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 and Fairing Flying Model Rocket Kit

Postby SpaceManMat » Thu May 25, 2017 9:21 am

Nice looking kit. Wonder if Blake will stock them?

I'd have to seriously consider a falcon heavy one...
QRS: 124
AMRS: 32 L2 RSO
Highest Altitude: 13,647 feet
Fastest Flight: Mach 1.55
Largest Motor: CTI 1115J530 IM
Current Project: X Wing

joeman
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby joeman » Thu May 25, 2017 11:46 am

cool. Really like it!!
L1 - Callisto (H133) - 11-Jan-2016
L2 - March Fly (1633K940) - 18-Mar-2018 - RSO

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:47 pm

This was the second flight at the MARS Attacks launch last weekend. It was a nice flight on a D12-5 to about 550'. Chute at apogee. Nice long walk due to a stiff breeze blowing :(

DSC07028resize.JPG

That's the first time for years I have flown anything other than HPR I think. Low stress launch :!:

Interestingly, in the afternoon I was driving back from recovering the Velociraptor and a woman (spectator) came up to me excitedly asking if that was a Falcon 9 on my front seat she had seen as I drove past. She had just finished reading Elon Musk's book and had to have a pic with the F9 model. Nice to see SpaceX generating some excitement about spaceflight again :D . It has taken a long time to get to this point.
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

snrkl
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby snrkl » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:59 pm

OverTheTop wrote:This was the second flight at the MARS Attacks launch last weekend. It was a nice flight on a D12-5 to about 550'. Chute at apogee. Nice long walk due to a stiff breeze blowing :(

DSC07028resize.JPG

That's the first time for years I have flown anything other than HPR I think. Low stress launch :!:

Interestingly, in the afternoon I was driving back from recovering the Velociraptor and a woman (spectator) came up to me excitedly asking if that was a Falcon 9 on my front seat she had seen as I drove past. She had just finished reading Elon Musk's book and had to have a pic with the F9 model. Nice to see SpaceX generating some excitement about spaceflight again :D . It has taken a long time to get to this point.

Irony abounds: you posing with your SpaceX Flacon9 wearing a Boeing jacket... ;)

dmeeze
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby dmeeze » Mon May 28, 2018 7:16 pm

I was going to post a new thread asking this, but instead I'm raising this thread from the annals of forum history since it has such great photos already :)

Hi all, I was going to order one of these from the USA, they ship internationally now!

https://shop.spacex.com/f9-flying-model-rocket-kit.html

Of course:
1) the shipping is more than the pack (kit, US$29, shipping US$32)
2) I can order 3 kits for the same shipping (ship 3 kits for the same US$32)
3) I can order up to 5 kits in one go for only incrementally small extra shipping (US$45ish)

So, given that, I thought I'd throw open the offer if anyone who'd like to join me in ordering an amusing LPR toy. I'm in Qld (QRS) and Matt here probably knows where to find me if I scarper off with your money. He's also much bigger and scarier than me, so I promise not to. :)

No big deal, if there are no takers I might just try to think up something I could do with, say, three F9 airframes. Hmm. I wonder.

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:41 pm

You know you want to build a FH :)
Cluster?
TRA #13430
L3

Return to “Low Powered Rocketry”