First go

Discussions on low powered model rockets using E powered motors and below.

Moderator: Moderators

Peter1972
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

First go

Postby Peter1972 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:45 pm

Hi all. Not sure if this is the right section but I'm the new guy.

My rocket knowledge/experience is roughly 0. Really enjoying the science behind it all and watching the posted video clips.
Recently purchased an Estes Taser and some A8-3's and a packet of B and C motors.
Put it together today, pretty straight forward other than none of the motors fit with out trimming some cardboard. Around 2-3 mm.
3 successful launches on the A8's, the chute didn't open for any of them though.
Chute was partially ejected each time.
Anyway, no real damage done. Time to keep reading.
Enjoying it enough as I've just bought a Green Tree Frog ARF from Ausrocketry. Hopefully it'll be an easy rocket to assemble and a step up in quality from the Estes.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Last edited by Peter1972 on Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Re: First go

Postby kopius » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:07 am

Welcome Peter and great to see another new rocket enthusiast launching.

That is not right if you have to remove layers of cardboard on the motors, can you confirm the rocket takes 18mm diameter motors? Or do you mean shorten the motors, which also means there is some issue, perhaps a motor block installed too low?

If the parachute isn't ejecting, you may either be packing it incorrectly or too much wadding or wadding is being compressed down. Usually it is a wadding issue, so have a read of this and see if it helps: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5198&p=60766&hilit=Explosives+are+lazy#p60766

The SCR green tree frog is an ARF kits, so you just need to cut and attach the parachute. There aren't any plastic parts around the motor mount, so typically will survive many more flights those rockets that are all plastic where it gets hot. If you are looking for something to build, look at a 56er which is basically the same rocket as parts to assemble.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing many more posts from your rocket journey.

PS, where are you located? Have you looked at any clubs in your area?

QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Peter1972
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Re: RE: Re: First go

Postby Peter1972 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:16 am

kopius wrote:Welcome Peter and great to see another new rocket enthusiast launching.

That is not right if you have to remove layers of cardboard on the motors, can you confirm the rocket takes 18mm diameter motors? Or do you mean shorten the motors, which also means there is some issue, perhaps a motor block installed too low?

If the parachute isn't ejecting, you may either be packing it incorrectly or too much wadding or wadding is being compressed down. Usually it is a wadding issue, so have a read of this and see if it helps: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5198&p=60766&hilit=Explosives+are+lazy#p60766

The SCR green tree frog is an ARF kits, so you just need to cut and attach the parachute. There aren't any plastic parts around the motor mount, so typically will survive many more flights those rockets that are all plastic where it gets hot. If you are looking for something to build, look at a 56er which is basically the same rocket as parts to assemble.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing many more posts from your rocket journey.

PS, where are you located? Have you looked at any clubs in your area?

Thanks for the comments/suggestions.
With the motor trimming, its length ways being the issue. So the motor is not seated deeply enough to put the cap on unless trimmed.
In hindsight the wadding was as you suggested, packed too tight.
I have no doubt it was 100% human (me) error, I just need to find out what and fix it.

Onto the club thing, I have given it a fair bit of thought and there's 2 reasons why I've not joined/attended at this stage.
Firstly the Sydney club is 4 hours away and secondly, I'm new to all this and I'm still working out if model rocketry is a hobby for me, so one step at a time. I'll stick with low power stuff for now.
But not being in a club limits the amount of info I get, for example, what is the natural progression when starting out etc etc.
Pete

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Re: First go

Postby kopius » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:40 am

The forum is a great tool for general info and you can learn a huge amount from here. Great you have already worked out the wadding issue, so more success is headed your way already

Even if you aren't a member, reach out to the clubs and attend a launch just to check it out. Not only will you learn a lot, you get to watch other rockets that doesn't cost you anything ;-)

QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Return to “Low Powered Rocketry”