3d Printed Rocket for D and E Motors

Discussions on low powered model rockets using E powered motors and below.

Moderator: Moderators

Aquaman33
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

3d Printed Rocket for D and E Motors

Postby Aquaman33 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:21 pm

I bought a new 3d printer and to celebrate I thought I would teach myself how to use Fusion 360. Until now I have been using SketchUp, which served a purpose, but had some limitations.

I thought I should put my very limited Fusion 360 skills and my new printer to the test with a fun, simple rocket designed to fly on D and E motors.

I started by drawing various fin cans, but in the end I decided to go with this one from Thingiverse:

The design can be found here:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3614897
Thanks "Works of Claye".

At first I printed it in clear filament, then I learnt that clear filament is quite brittle because it doesn't have many additives in it. So I re-printed it in blue:

It is nicely designed to take a 24mm motor mount tube, which you just glue in place:

You need to use a piece of wire for motor retention. Something like a paper clip. In this photo I inserted 2 pins to illustrate where the holes are:

A composite E motor is a really nice fit.

For the nose cone I wanted something quite long and chunky to help move the CG forward. My first proper drawing in Fusion 360:

I designed it in 2 parts to make it easier to print. So the plug and shock cord attachment point was a separate drawing:

The kevlar shock cord will go through the big hole and then through the 2 smaller holes in a figure of 8 for extra strength.

The nose cone and plug printed:

Both the nose cone and the fin can weigh 65g, so the CG will be near the middle of the rocket (without a motor and chute). I am hoping the complete rocket will be under 250g.

I decided to make a feature out of the launch lugs so designed these rings with a stand off to clear the fat nose cone:

And a matching ring to go up near the nose cone, for decorative purposes only:

3 rings printed:

And finally the BT60 body tube masked up ready for priming. I masked where the rings will be glued to the tube:

I plan to leave the blue bits blue and paint the body tube red.

Aquaman33
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Re: 3d Printed Rocket for D and E Motors

Postby Aquaman33 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:04 pm

And a few days later the build is complete.

Image Image

I have done nothing to the 3d printed parts to finish them. I decided to just leave them as they are. I could have spent hours sanding, filling and painting, but I decided to keep them true to their origin.

It was a really fun quick build.

A smaller version of this would make a great entry level kit for kids. Assembly takes a few minutes and you are ready to fly. No fins to attach and align. The 3d printer does most of the work.

I will miss our club's last launch of 2019, but hopefully I can fly this early in 2020.

Now to get back to my level 2 build!

Return to “Low Powered Rocketry”