South Australian regulations

Discussions on low powered model rockets using E powered motors and below.

Moderator: Moderators

upsidedownengineer
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

South Australian regulations

Postby upsidedownengineer » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:07 am

G'day

Has anyone here launched a rocket as an individual? If so how long does the paperwork take to complete (permit for explosives, permit from council, etc.). I used to build rockets in high school and now wish to get back into it (current university student studying electrical engineering so hope to do Audino experiments later down the track).

Voyager
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Re: South Australian regulations

Postby Voyager » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:31 pm

Unless you have access to a suitable private acreage, then I would suggest you don't go it alone. Join a club! Doing solo launches on public land is not recommended, unless you have the appropriate local council approvals. Either way, you would also need to confirm the CASA requirements for the site(s) you have in mind.

I can't speak for SA with regard to a pyrotechnic license (and possibly a security card, as is also required in NSW), but over here it takes about 8-10 weeks to get the cards.

The Uni of SA has a rocketry group. You should speak to them.

https://usasa.sa.edu.au/Clubs/Rocketry

Also, see what is happening with the SA branch of the ARA! Are they operational again?

http://australianrocketryassociation.org/

Good luck.
TRA 14574 L2

Voyager
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Voyager » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:14 pm

I should have added that there is also the question of insurance, particularly when using public land. As an individual, that's a tough one!
TRA 14574 L2

Voyager
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Voyager » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:42 pm

Of course, if you’re only interested in low and mid power rockets at this stage, then you won’t require the pyro tickets.
TRA 14574 L2

upsidedownengineer
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby upsidedownengineer » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:33 pm

Oh, I recently just applied for the Adept Rocketry Division at Adelaide University. Was hoping to do some solo experiments before they start though.

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:26 pm

G'Day upsidedownengineer,

SA is a funny one with a unique way of addressing rocketry. Currently there are no active rocket clubs, however this is about to change with universities and enthusiasts in the process of getting a new (long awaited) site. This group will be under the national body, Australian Model Rocket Society, so covered by insurance with the necessary processes in place. With fire season basically upon us, the plan is to have this up and running for next year when it is suitable to fly again.

Please feel free to email info@ausrocketry.com.au or info@rocketry.org.au and I can put you in touch with the guys putting this together (me being one of them).

That is great there is more enthusiasm building in SA and glad SA will once again be launching rockets soon.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Astronut
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby Astronut » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:51 pm

kopius wrote:G'Day upsidedownengineer,

SA is a funny one with a unique way of addressing rocketry. Currently there are no active rocket clubs, however this is about to change with universities and enthusiasts in the process of getting a new (long awaited) site. This group will be under the national body, Australian Model Rocket Society, so covered by insurance with the necessary processes in place. With fire season basically upon us, the plan is to have this up and running for next year when it is suitable to fly again.

Please feel free to email info@ausrocketry.com.au or info@rocketry.org.au and I can put you in touch with the guys putting this together (me being one of them).

That is great there is more enthusiasm building in SA and glad SA will once again be launching rockets soon.

Hi kopius,

Any update on the above? I’ve been researchIng into model rocketry in SA but not a lot of info is out there! I’m trying to work out if I can even launch a low powered rocket before I go and purchase my first kit.

Cheers

neddy1967
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby neddy1967 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:53 am

Hi Astronut
I have recently been in touch with Scott Pollock about rejoining Adelaide Advanced Rocketry Club again after a 10 year hiatus. They lost their launch site and are looking to arrange a new one to restart launches now Covid is starting to settle in S.A. We used to launch at the scout airfield at Mannum when I was in the club which was great but a bit of a drive. I dont think you can use black powder at in S.A. as it classified as fireworks. Its nuts that S.A. want a thriving space agency but you cant go down to the park and launch an Estes. When I was a kid you could go down to the local Toyworld buy an Estes kit and by the afternoon be launching. I think the reclassification of BP to national standards would be a big step forward. Anyway I have a 3d printer now so I plan on going to the park this weekend and launch some water rockets. That will probably get banned as well friggin nanny state.

Neddy

Astronut
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby Astronut » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:29 pm

neddy1967 wrote:Hi Astronut
I have recently been in touch with Scott Pollock about rejoining Adelaide Advanced Rocketry Club again after a 10 year hiatus. They lost their launch site and are looking to arrange a new one to restart launches now Covid is starting to settle in S.A. We used to launch at the scout airfield at Mannum when I was in the club which was great but a bit of a drive. I dont think you can use black powder at in S.A. as it classified as fireworks. Its nuts that S.A. want a thriving space agency but you cant go down to the park and launch an Estes. When I was a kid you could go down to the local Toyworld buy an Estes kit and by the afternoon be launching. I think the reclassification of BP to national standards would be a big step forward. Anyway I have a 3d printer now so I plan on going to the park this weekend and launch some water rockets. That will probably get banned as well friggin nanny state.

Neddy

Hi Neddy,

Thanks for the info - I look forward to something being set up in SA. In the mean time I don't think I'll rush out and buy a kit just yet.

Astronut

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:24 am

@Astronut, there hasn't been a lot of movement in SA, mostly due to COVID slowing down progress.

As for rocket motors, LPR/MPR are fine to supply immediately. (Basically up to G motors that can be flown on a suitable open space)

@neddy1967, Scott is no doubt very enthusiastic and hopefully someone gets the 'club' rocket up and running again. That said, there isn't a requirement to reclassify BP motors. The main issue is SafworkSA contradicting the UN. This is a very long problem driven by incompetence within the department, however there is active work to review this... although expectations are nothing will happen quickly. FYI, this mostly affects large HPR motors.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

neddy1967
Rocket Onlooker
Rocket Onlooker

Postby neddy1967 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:03 am

Hi Kopius
I received an email from Scott this morning saying that the ARA will basically be a FB page from now. They were trying to get a site going at Peterborough but due to lack of insurance and general interest this is not going ahead now. I think that avenue may be dead in the water now so I need to find the other people that are still persuing rocketry activities in S.A. and reach out to them. I could always start a club I guess, at one time I was the secretary of the AARC so I know what's involved. I think securing launch site candidates is the first priority.

Thanks
Neddy

Return to “Low Powered Rocketry”