On the rocket body there are spirals

Discussions on low powered model rockets using E powered motors and below.

Moderator: Moderators

lucifer911
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

On the rocket body there are spirals

Postby lucifer911 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:21 pm

I think you will see this on all cardboard cylinders - spirals which run from top to bottom.
Would it improve my rocket if I apply some light sand sealer within these spirals to achieve a nice smooth finish before applying primer?

If you run your finger over them you can't feel where the spiral is so I'm not sure if its a big deal but more concerned whether it would create an uneven primer coat.
Attachments
Spiral.jpg

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Re: On the rocket body there are spirals

Postby martymonsta » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:10 pm

In experience if you paint it like it is the spirals will show straight through the primer and into the top coat. I would use a light smear of wood filler and a sand if you want an even finish.
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

lucifer911
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby lucifer911 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:03 pm

martymonsta wrote:In experience if you paint it like it is the spirals will show straight through the primer and into the top coat. I would use a light smear of wood filler and a sand if you want an even finish.

I think it depends on how deep the spirals are too. I did rub my finger along them quite a few times and determined it didn't need a filler.. though on my future constructions I'll just use sand sealer and try to get the perfect finish.

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:26 pm

With the spiral on that tube it is not a deep groove so shouldnt show through.. just give a couple of coats of primer and let dry for a couple of hours and sand between coats and you will get a smooth finish.

Im building the shadowgawk 2" and from past experience with loc body tubes I know that a couple of coats of primer filler from upercheap (about $10 for a big can) will and spiral in a few coats.. as lomg as its lightly sanded between coats

lucifer911
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby lucifer911 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:23 am

Lister wrote:With the spiral on that tube it is not a deep groove so shouldnt show through.. just give a couple of coats of primer and let dry for a couple of hours and sand between coats and you will get a smooth finish.

Im building the shadowgawk 2" and from past experience with loc body tubes I know that a couple of coats of primer filler from upercheap (about $10 for a big can) will and spiral in a few coats.. as lomg as its lightly sanded between coats

I tried using sand sealer to seal up these spirals and honestly it creates more of a mess and makes the body tube more uneven than what it was straight out of the package. I think multiple coats of primer should be enough to conceal these spirals. The spirals were visible on my other 56er rocket only if you tilt it sideways and look closely.

Lister
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Lister » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:59 am

Like I said mate get the primer filler from supercheap.. works great and no stuffing around with filling spirals ;)

Return to “Low Powered Rocketry”