LPR Rocket Launch Rods

Discussions on low powered model rockets using E powered motors and below.

Moderator: Moderators

joeman
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

LPR Rocket Launch Rods

Postby joeman » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:30 pm

Hello,
Can anyone suggest a good place to get 1/8" rod for launching LPR?
I am building a multi-rocket launch system. (So we don't have to go back and forward 5 times...we can just load Prep all rockets...in one go).

After a rod that is tried and tested...(that someone else might have used?)

I found a supplier of stainless steel, but they said there was quite a bit of 'flex' in these which concerned me a little. Unfortunately they are not local...so I can't just walk in and inspect their stock. Will resort to Estes 3-segments if I have to. At least I know these are proven.

Thanks

Joe
L1 - Callisto (H133) - 11-Jan-2016

martymonsta
Engineer
Engineer

Re: LPR Rocket Launch Rods

Postby martymonsta » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:24 pm

Hi Joe.

I personally got some 3mm stainless rod from a wholesaler in Melbourne. I opted to use 3mm instead of 1/8" (3.2mm) and 6mm instead of 1/4" (6.4mm). Not a big difference, but insures that you can use metric and non-si lugs. About your concerns about flex. All rods will flex and most will flex about the same amount. The longer the rod, the more it will flex, so it a balance between having a rod that is long enough to provide stability, while not so long as to whip. It is also important to insure that your rockets have appropriate sized lugs, for the weight of the rocket, the airframe diameter and the thrust of the motor.

Marty
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there."
Well, space is there, and we're going to climb it

MARS #21
AMRS #41 L2/LCO/RSO/CO

vance2loud
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby vance2loud » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:24 pm

I got mine from a conveyor belt place. They use stainless rods in some joiners.
I have also heard that 3.2mm carbon steel tig welding rods should work but haven't tried them.
TRA #15165 AMRS #50
I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't. - Unknown
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
- Thomas Alva Edison

matthew
Cairns...no where near that
Cairns...no where near that

Postby matthew » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:32 pm

Hi Joe. I bought 1/8" & 3/16" x 36" steel rods from NQ Hobbies on Owen St in Innisfail. They're probably the last of the general hobby supply places up here. Otherwise, I also have some longer 3/16" & 1/4" x 72" stainless rods I bought from a local stainless supplier - probably the one you've been talking to. The steel ones are OK. I just give them a rub over with fine sandpaper before use.
Matthew Small
AMRS #33 L3
TRA #11466 L3
QRS #133

http://australianrocketry.org

joeman
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby joeman » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:49 pm

Thanks Matthew,
Thanks Guys.

Yes, it makes it a little difficult when shops start disappearing...can't just walk in and inspect a product. Need to do a lot of thinking and investigating. (Not a bad thing!) Atleast we have the Internet and these forums to discuss and share these things.

I spoke to Blake and he suggested a supplier that has supplied QRS with some launch rods. So I've ordered some stainless steel bar from there.

Cheers
Joe

ogivemeahome
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby ogivemeahome » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:02 am

"Piano wire" is an option but needs to be cleaned and silicon sprayed regularly to prevent corrosion.
I've heard the suggestion of using rifle barrel cleaning rods (compact - they screw together) - haven't tried it though.
A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner. (English Proverb)

joeman
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby joeman » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:29 pm

G'day,
Well, I've had two 30min lessons with the year 5's/6s and they have been REALLY well behaved.
Apparently they can be a bit disruptive (bored?). But they seem to be understanding most of what I've been teaching them and they have been asking good questions. We have been going over theory of Rocket flight, Newtons 2nd, 3rd law, safety, etc.

We start building the rockets next week...and continue doing that over a few weeks before launching them.

On the launch system....Progressing really well with 5 x Model Rocket launch system too. Will send a pic through for people to look at it. Get ideas, etc. Very happy with how things are progressing.

Thanks for everyone's help here (and off the forum).

Joe

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:08 am

Watch out for dud igniters for when you are doing a demonstrations to a group of school kids. Quite a let-down for everyone when the igniter snuffs [speakingfromexperienceicon]. The SCR ones look to be much better than the Estes type. Probably less embarassing :oops:
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:28 pm

Great point there OTT ! For some one like myself whose done now over 70 school talks and displays each one with a launch, SCR igniters are MUCH better and not only that, the motors seem to have more power. :P
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Return to “Low Powered Rocketry”