Question for L3 flyers

Discussions on low powered model rockets using E powered motors and below.

Moderator: Moderators

03flyer
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Question for L3 flyers

Postby 03flyer » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:34 pm

Do you remember your first rocket kit and the motor you used....and did you face any difficulties or frustration working your way up to level 3?
Go big or go home

crom
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Re: Question for L3 flyers

Postby crom » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:52 pm

Centuri Buck Rogers Laser Lance on an A motor in 1980.....

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-centuri-buck-rogers-laser-426489035

Many difficulties, not many frustrations.... Blew up a few rockets along the way though...
QRS #100 President
AMRS #20 L3

http://qldrocketry.com/

OverTheTop
It's only money...
It's only money...

Postby OverTheTop » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:47 pm

Back in about 2007 I build a Dynastar Orion from Apogee Components:

dyna_orion03.jpg
dyna_orion03.jpg (11.92 KiB) Viewed 141 times

Lots of flights on D motors.

Followed closely by a few from Sirius Rocketry, and then into HPR :D

L3 is not that difficult, if you can research, and think, and work your way up at a rate that is appropriate for the flyer. I suppose you could do L3 without a lot of thought, but you would end up re-kitting more rockets than I would like to :wink:
TRA #13430
L3
"Everybody's simulation model is guilty until proven innocent" (Thomas H. Lawrence 1994)

Viking
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Viking » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:15 pm

Not L3 yet, but my first was an Estes Viking, sometime during 1986, on B6-4
Back then they were white with red NC, not the horrible green and yellow of the current re-release.
Simon
WARS #24 / AMRS #54 L2

drew
Southern fried goodness
Southern fried goodness

Postby drew » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:03 pm

03flyer wrote:Do you remember your first rocket kit and the motor you used....

Sadly I don't. That said given it would have been 30+ years ago I expect I should cut myself some slack. I built a large number of Estes rockets as a kid, both at home and Space Camp. I still regret the fact that I didn't finish the Astro-Blaster rocket glider I was building in the early 90s. The skinning of the balsa after construction was a bit much for me at the time I suspect.

I got back into the hobby around 2009 when my boss at the time revealed he'd never flown a rocket despite being a huge space nerd. My first kit built as an adult was an Estes Bullpup. First flight was on an A8-3.

03flyer wrote:and did you face any difficulties or frustration working your way up to level 3?

Of course. I don't think you're pushing yourself or your hardware if you don't face difficulties or occasionally get frustrated. I'm pretty good about making mistakes as long as I learn from them. I've got no issues with talking about my numerous failures.

My L3 was pretty easy going all considered. Sure my flight nearly reached Mach 2 but the space available in a dual break dual deploy 3" airframe made it quite easy when compared to smaller MD rockets.
Andrew Hamilton
AMRS 28 L3
AMRS Records Committee Chairman
Max Alt AGL - 23,908ft - K300 - Balls 22
Max V - 2,488 ft/s, ~Mach 2.2 - M2250 - THUNDA 2015

Return to “Low Powered Rocketry”