TWO MORE SCHOOL VISITS BY QRS

School and other organisation visited from rocketry clubs.

Moderator: Moderators

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

TWO MORE SCHOOL VISITS BY QRS

Postby october sky » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:35 pm

Rocketry in QLD is really growing. :) In the last two weeks two more schools have contacted us for a display and talk about rockets.

Chisholm Catholic College from Cornubia ( also known as "CCCC" :wink: ) display will be on 24.4.09 from noon. Petar, George and myself will be there and as with all school events we'll do couple of LPR launches ( B6-4) and students always love it. This school has already rocketry as part of their science studies which is cool.

Then on the 7.5.09 Flagstone Community College from 1pm there wil be another one of these events. Flagstone is actually at Jimboomba thus very close to our launch area. Perfect opportunity to invite all teachers and students to our launch on the 17:th. Jimboomba Times are going to cover this display in their paper thus further promoting our hobby. Petar and myself are attending this one.

Naturally, anyone else who wants to or can make it with us are more than welcome. These displays are good fun and it gives a great feeling being there with enthusiastic students and teachers. 8)
Last edited by october sky on Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

bpratt
Engineer
Engineer

Re: TWO MORE SCHOOL VISITS BY QRS

Postby bpratt » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:02 pm

october sky wrote:Rocketry in QLD is really growing. :) In the last two weeks two more schools have contacted us for a display and talk about rockets.

Chisholm Catholic College from Cornubia ( also known as "CCCC" :wink: ) display will be on 24.2.09 from noon. Petar, George and myself will be there and as with all school events we'll do couple of LPR launches ( B6-4) and students always love it. This school has already rocketry as part of their science studies which is cool.

Then on the 7.5.09 Flagstone Community College from 1pm there wil be another one of these events. Flagstone is actually at Jimboomba thus very close to our launch area. Perfect opportunity to invite all teachers and students to our launch on the 17:th. Jimboomba Times are going to cover this display in their paper thus further promoting our hobby. Petar and myself are attending this one.

So how did the one on the 24/Feb/9 one go ??? :P

Flagstone Community College is actually around 2 - 3 km to the northwest of our launch area, although by road it's around 12-15km. :)

Don't forget to give Anthony at Jimboomba Times a heads up about the Flagstone one for a bit more PR. :)

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:06 pm

Brendan, you are seeing things, it's 24.4 not feb. ? Just kidding mate, my typo ! Its meant to be 24.4.09, sorry about it !

Anthony knows already about it mate and is booked in ! :)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

bpratt
Engineer
Engineer

Postby bpratt » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:12 pm

october sky wrote:Brendan, you are seeing things, it's 24.4 not feb. ? Just kidding mate, my typo ! Its meant to be 24.4.09, sorry about it !

Anthony knows already about it mate and is booked in ! :)

Good work Ari !!

I wouldn't mind getting along to the Flagstone one myself actually.

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:56 am

We had absolute ball at the Chisolm Catholic College. Petar, Blake (big surprise to see Blake again) George and myself were all nice and early there to prepare for the display.

Weather was stunning with barely no wind. They had a large nice oval where we did our display under the shade of some trees.

Their physics teacher said there are 10 students attending who study physics but then said he'll go and ask other teachers if they want to attend. Suddenly we had around 120 students there + teachers ! 8)

Petar is excellent with his take on moon landing and talk about the space shuttle. Meanwhile I prepared the small Patriot for a launch on B6-4 which is ideal for these sort of displayes.

After Petar finished, there was a countdown from all the students and launch was perfect and all cheered and clapped.

Then I shortly talked about the rockets, LPR, MPR and HPR. I had my Intimidator 4 with me on it's first outing too. After Petar explained a bit more while I put a C6-3 into the Patriot.

That launch caused even bigger applause and lots of "WOW's" from the senior students. Rocket landed right in front of students.

Blake and George were talking with teachers and after it was over, another 1/2 hr was spent talking about the subject, flyers given out and many said they'll be at the next launch including teachers. :)

Blake will post a photo or two here soon ! It was another rewarding experience and students really enjoyed it all !

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

~RR~
Engineer
Engineer

Postby ~RR~ » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:50 pm

Good one guys... :D
Shane...
TRA # 11474

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:48 pm

The Flagstone Community College display has been shifted by one day to wed. 6.5.09 starting at 12.30pm. Petar and I will be there by noon. :)

Apparently over 200 students will be attending. 8) We might get quite a few attending the launch with their parents as this college is only few K's away from our launch area.

Brendan, you want to come ? Or anyone else who can make it ! :)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

bpratt
Engineer
Engineer

Postby bpratt » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:09 pm

october sky wrote:The Flagstone Community College display has been shifted by one day to wed. 6.5.09 starting at 12.30pm. Petar and I will be there by noon. :)

Apparently over 200 students will be attending. 8) We might get quite a few attending the launch with their parents as this college is only few K's away from our launch area.

Brendan, you want to come ? Or anyone else who can make it ! :)

Yes, I am planning on turning up on the day.

I'm assuming we'll meet up out the front before we go in there.

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat May 02, 2009 8:28 am

That's it Brendan, that's the plan ! :)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Wed May 06, 2009 6:44 pm

Today, 6.5.09 the display at the Flagstone Community College went ahead as planned. :)

It was good to have Petar, Blake, Brendan and my wife present. There must have been good 150+ students present and 4 teachers.

Local paper ( Jimboomba Times) was in attendance and many photos were taken and this story will hit the stands just right for the next launch on the 17:th. ( J.T. will be published on wed. 13.5). 8)

Petar did his usual great presentation and I managed to do two launches just before the drizzle started. Amazingly once we had finished the display/demo the rain came down quite heavily.

I believe there should be some photos coming to this thread soon to share with all of you ! :)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

~RR~
Engineer
Engineer

Postby ~RR~ » Wed May 06, 2009 6:57 pm

Good work guys :D
Shane...

TRA # 11474

bpratt
Engineer
Engineer

Postby bpratt » Thu May 07, 2009 12:00 am

october sky wrote:Today, 6.5.09 the display at the Flagstone Community College went ahead as planned. :)

I believe there should be some photos coming to this thread soon to share with all of you ! :)

Do you mean these ones ? :-

http://www.jimboomba.net/gallery/v/Rocketry/qrs_goes_to_school/

:)

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Thu May 07, 2009 8:47 am

~RR~ wrote:Good work guys :D

I agree!
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Thu May 07, 2009 2:17 pm

Thanks Brendan, they are the ones ! 8)

~RR~ and Kryten, thanks for your engouragement ! :)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

ROCKet STAR
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby ROCKet STAR » Thu May 07, 2009 3:06 pm

I bet the kids loved it. When i was at university myself and a few other aerospace students went around a few schools as part of space week. We were teaching 9 & 10 year olds about how rockets work, and building small vinegar & sodium bicarbonate rockets with them.

The one thing i learned from the experience... KIDS LOVE ROCKETS!
Chris Barnes

AMRS# 29 - L3

UKRA - L3

Return to “School and Organisation Visits”