TWO MORE SCHOOL VISITS BY QRS

School and other organisation visited from rocketry clubs.

Moderator: Moderators

~RR~
Engineer
Engineer

Postby ~RR~ » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:45 pm

Yesterday’s school visit…

Attended a prep school yesterday for a show and tell on rockets. The kids have been learning about rockets, space and the moon for a couple of weeks…
I took the PML ¼ Patriot along with harness and chute packed in, explained what sports rocketry was about, luckily they were only 5 year olds so no hard questions…
Launched the Astro-cam on a B6-4, flew well but didn’t get any video…
Then launched “the Dude” on a D12-3…the wind had sprung up a bit… went up about 200ft did a big arc over and landed on top of the gym… wind blew it down about 20mins latter… it had the flycamone2 attached however it stop recording when the countdown reach zero :x (the kids really like it though)

Some photos -

Image Image Image Image Image

The day went well and I did enjoy it…

P.S. “the Dude” survived again… I’m going to turn it inside out with an F24 next launch…
Shane...
TRA # 11474

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:17 pm

Great work Shane and big congrats. !! :)

How could you not enjoy it, I mean you are talking about rockets ! 8)

Now you can do others without the nerves mate. :wink:
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Sumo310
L3 Perfectionist
L3 Perfectionist

Postby Sumo310 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:50 pm

Good stuff Shane!
L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:05 pm

Just to inform all of you that : Tomorrow I'll be at the Moggill State School at 11.30am for 12noon start. On Wed. the 29:th I got one at Riverview State School at 12.30pm starting at 1 pm and then on the 10.8 ( day after the launch) one in Balmoral State High School at 10.30am for 11am start.

Anyone interested in joining me would be great. I know the timing is bad due to all of us working but thanks to my job I can be bit flexible and make up for the lost time in the afternoon. I fully understand that most of you can't do that. 8)

Petar, my usual companion on these trips woun't be back from Europe till late on the 10:th of August.

I'm also hoping that my wife can "hold on" till these displayes are done ! :roll:

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Sumo310
L3 Perfectionist
L3 Perfectionist

Postby Sumo310 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:58 pm

I'd love to help out Ari, but that dreaded "W" word keeps me from these events.

Good luck tomorrow!
L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:31 pm

I fully understand Simon as I said earlier, no prob's at all. :)

Nice thing for me is that you and others are 'with me' on these visits as I represent our club and want to make the right impression everytime. :)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:18 pm

Here is my wife just before the students showed up at Moggill State Primary School. She is also 35 weeks pregnant so hopefully we can show the future "astronaut" this photo one day to show how early she got involved with rocketry ! :)

70 students with 3 teachers were present. I can say that these were the best behaved students even compared to Chisholm Catholic College ones. Not once I had to say to be quiet. They listened around 35 minutes without a fail. That is cool.

After the presentation there was a Q/A time and sometimes there were dozen handsup at the same time. After 15 or so questions and answers it was time to call it a day. The school captain came to say thank you. One of the nicest parts of the fact that as at the end I asked everyone that hopefully they enjoyed it I got so many double thumbs up.

It was truly a great visit and so many of the students were taken by the rockets. I have already received a reference letter from the teacher. No launch at this school as the principal was concerned about safety....I woun't go into that !!

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:23 pm

We had a crowd of over 120 students and 5 teachers at Riverview State School and it really was fantastic. Students, again were so well behaved and listened without any interruptions for 30 minutes. :)

We do have few photos but not sure whether to download them hear as they are naturally quite similar, except bigger crowd.

I was told by the teacher who organized this after we had finished that he had never seen all these students paying this much attention before. That is nice to hear naturally.

This time I was able to launch my old Patriot on B6-4 with the assistance from two selected students. Weather was perfect, no wind, blue sky and around +22 degrees. Perfect launch and huge YYYEEEAAAHHH from the crowd. Everyone, including teachers wanted another launch so we did. 8)

All you rocketeers out there, I have no words to describe what a feeling you get when you see so many enthusiastic young faces really "eating" all that info about space and rockets. Yes, I lost 5 hours of my work day and had to work long to make up to it but it sure is worth it ! :)

One of the attention getters in the beginning I use is the electronics panel that is from the Space Shuttle and has been to space. Easy to get attention with that. :wink:

Next is 10.8 at Balmoral and the on the 14.8 is The Gap.

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Postby Lamp » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:57 pm

october sky wrote:We do have few photos but not sure whether to download them hear as they are naturally quite similar, except bigger crowd.

Go on, post them....some of us would like to have a look at the great work you are doing. :D

Sumo310
L3 Perfectionist
L3 Perfectionist

Postby Sumo310 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:46 pm

Yeah, put them up Ari! Great stuff
L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:34 pm

Here is part of the crowd and I must say again, what a great bunch of students.

This is just before the first launch with one of my helpers.

Big news is that word is really spreading about rocketry. I have been invited to speak on the 30.10.09 at Victoria Point school for the whole school ie. over 600 students and all teachers + launch a rocket or two !

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

CAPCOM
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

School displays

Postby CAPCOM » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:25 pm

Hi Ari,I can make it to Balmoral High if you still need a hand.How many hours will we be there, and do I bring anything?
Capcom :)
I bought my first rocket in 1968 for $1.50 and the engines were $0.38 each and that was stretching my pocket money!!!!!

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:51 am

october sky wrote: I have been invited to speak on the 30.10.09 at Victoria Point school for the whole school ie. over 600 students and all teachers + launch a rocket or two !

What can I say, but - WOW!
Full credit to you
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:07 pm

Thank you Dave, much appreciated. It's a blessing to be able to do this and it does come naturally as I love the hobby. :)

Got a fantastic letter from the teacher of this last school we just visited. He still can't get over the fact how well all students received the info and they keep asking about it all the time! 8)

Robin, you are more than welcome. Need to be there 10.30 latest for 11am start. It normally goes for just over half an hour and then we launch. Bit of help in setting up and dismanteling is appreciated, doesn't take that long. Brian said he'll be there too.

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Today we paid a visit to Balmoral S.H.S. The group of students cosisted of 11 and 12 graders, specially selected due to their study of space. There were 25 students and 4 teachers present.

Robin was there to assist as was my very pregnant wife ! Thanks Brian for the call and offer of help, much appreciated. Chris, the teacher who organized this session thanked my wife at the end for "holding out". :lol:

Again, I must commend the students for paying attention all the way through and many were genuinely interested of what was shown and said.

Robin and I were able to show the whole launch process to all students. Reason for this is that they have bought some kits from Suburban Rocketry and are going to build & launch them. 8)

The photo below has Chris and I discussing the type of rockets he has coming from Suburban Rocketry.

Last edited by october sky on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Return to “School and Organisation Visits”