TWO MORE SCHOOL VISITS BY QRS

School and other organisation visited from rocketry clubs.

Moderator: Moderators

Sumo310
L3 Perfectionist
L3 Perfectionist

Postby Sumo310 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:12 pm

Good stuff Robin and Ari.

I'll leave any inappropriate comments out of this school thread ;)
L3

cha05cat
Engineer
Engineer

Postby cha05cat » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:12 am

Don't we all get a little excited over rockets? It is just that some people are better endowed than others I guess....

Sorry, couldn't pass such an opportunity up...
TRA 12482 L2

Check out my rocketry blog here.
http://www.lmetzroth.net.au/

Check out my Photography FB page:
http://www.facebook.com/MetzyPix

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:24 am

Very good point there Simon, I have edited according ! :wink:

We were given two nice pens as an memento of our visit. :)

Next Friday there is another one : St.Peter Chanel School at The Gap. It's 11.30am on site for 12noon start. All who can are more than welcome. It is always hard with work committments, I fully understand that but if you are free, come along, it's great.
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:06 pm

Another school visit is behind and I'm again so impressed with the behaviour of 100 students ( 2x grades 4&5) and 4 teachers. :)

The way these kids again "ate up" the info would have to be seen to be believed. What a pleasure to share about this awesome hobby with the willing group.

One of the highlights : As we were preparing to launch a rocket, one of the students, a girl came next to me and said, " I love science and I really want to get into rocketry. I really want to work on rocket science when I grow up". 8)

Before the launch, there is a Q/A session and at any time, there was dozen or more hands up, constantly. We had to cut it short due to time restraint.

Now there will be app. a months brake as we prepare to get ready for addition to family within next two weeks. :)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

cha05cat
Engineer
Engineer

Postby cha05cat » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:12 pm

Oh bugger... I forgot about the visit today, sorry about that Ari!
TRA 12482 L2

CAPCOM
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

School displays

Postby CAPCOM » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:46 pm

Ari,I look forward to helping out at another school visit.It was uplifting!! 8)

What a difference it would have made back in our school days...we could have all ended up aeronautical engineers or even better, with "S" class on our drivers licences ..thats Space vehicles.

In the break from school trips, I'd like to take the opportunity of giving Paivi and yourself all our best wishes and blessings for your most important event of 2009.I,m sure that everyone associated with our club will be thinking of you both and if we can help in any way at all give us a call.
Capcom
I bought my first rocket in 1968 for $1.50 and the engines were $0.38 each and that was stretching my pocket money!!!!!

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:51 pm

Leigh, sorry for this late reply but hey, things happen and all is ok ! :)

Robin, it was great to have you there and thanks for those wishes. It's close now. :)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:58 pm

On the 30:th of October at 12 noon I have been invited to speak and do a display of rocketry at "Faith Lutheran College", Junior School, Link Rd, Victoria Point. :)

This looks like being the largest of all we have done with indication of the whole college attending including the staff ! That is around 600 students. 8)

My regular partner "in crime" Petar, is not available as he is heading to NZ well before the day. Blake man, you have "pre booked "for this one !I'm hoping there could be others who could come for this one to assist and for morale support + to represent QRS. Being a Friday, if I remember right, George and Leigh, how are you situated that Friday ?Robin ? Anyone else, I'd be happy to have all who can on board ! :D

Ps. Need to be there 11am.

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Georgio
Textbook dentistry
Textbook dentistry

Postby Georgio » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:35 pm

I probably can make it this time....if I remember!

Ari.....you should be able to remind us the night before!

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:50 pm

Come on George, you'll remember ! It's the day after the AGM ! :)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

cha05cat
Engineer
Engineer

Postby cha05cat » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:16 pm

Yeah I should be free to. But as George says "If I remember". I might set a reminder in my phone a few days before hand to ensure I do remember...
TRA 12482 L2

RobAust
Engineer
Engineer

Postby RobAust » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:21 pm

Hi Ari,

Austin had his "Show and Tell" last Friday and was allowed to take a few of our Rockets. He took his little Estes Crossfire, the Tomahawk, his PML Bull Puppy 2.1 and made a big picture of 'how rockets fly'.

He gave an overview of how rockets fly, introduced his rockets, gave a 'demo' by blowing the nosecone and streamer out of the Crossfire and then dis-assembling the Bull Puppy to explain how this works. He gave a description on how the motors work and his goal to reach 2500 feet with the Bull Puppy and G64 !

Mum was in the back and said he had the kids stunned and fielded many questions - until the bell went ! He's like his Mum and talks alot, that's why i'm pretty quiet....

His teacher asked for more as this has generated much interest. I'll send a note on how / if we can schedule a visit by QRS to conduct a visit. Space is part of their subject this term so Rockets are on their mind.

We have a little 'rocketeer' on our hands and he is counting the days before we launch his Bull Puppy.

Regards,

Rob W

Georgio
Textbook dentistry
Textbook dentistry

Postby Georgio » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:00 pm

Sensational work, AustRob :D

Does the school have a nearby oval that we could launch from?

Bye the way, I've had my eye on the PML Bull Puppy 2.1 as a candidate for launching 29mm "F" motors in
Probably the only PML candidate for such a task

And a bit like looking for a PML rocket I can use for a J90W, and still keep under the 5000' limit

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:19 pm

Absolutely fantastic work Rob and Austin ! :D

There could be indeed future rocket scientist in Austin or even an astronaut. 8)

Just pm me if the school wants to us to pay a visit, that can be arranged. :wink:

Normal school oval is all that is needed to launch small rocket on B6-4. :)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

RobAust
Engineer
Engineer

Postby RobAust » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:05 pm

Hi Georgio,

Austin has an eye for the scale rockets and I must admit, it is a good looking rocket. We hope to launch ours for the first time at the December launch.

We plan to stay around the F series for a little while and gain some experience before going too high.

There is an oval attached with the school which I am sure would be ko for B4 & B6's.

Hi Ari,
PM sent.

Many thanks and regards,

RobW

Return to “School and Organisation Visits”