TWO MORE SCHOOL VISITS BY QRS

School and other organisation visited from rocketry clubs.

Moderator: Moderators

Wingnut
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Wingnut » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:44 am

That is very cool Rob and Austin! Good on ya!

CAPCOM
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Postby CAPCOM » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:50 pm

Hi gang, Ari I'm afraid that I will be in Sydney on business this weekend 30th October, but glad to nominate myself for another school demo. I am very busy at moment and had burned out laptop (now replaced) so off air for a few days. Look forward to getting to 8th november meet. Will try to make it to AGM Thursday night.
CAPCOM :roll:
I bought my first rocket in 1968 for $1.50 and the engines were $0.38 each and that was stretching my pocket money!!!!!

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:08 am

Are you going to be anywhere near Doonside in the morning of Saturday 30th?
That's our launch date
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)

bpratt
Engineer
Engineer

Postby bpratt » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:49 pm

october sky wrote:On the 30:th of October at 12 noon I have been invited to speak and do a display of rocketry at "Faith Lutheran College", Junior School, Link Rd, Victoria Point. :)

Photos of the visit follow on after the Flagstone ones at :-

http://www.jimboomba.net/gallery/v/Rocketry/qrs_goes_to_school/

:)

bgenn
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby bgenn » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:03 pm

Great work guys ... looks like a great day out at Faith Lutheran - huge crowd!

Ben.
QRS Member #033 -- TRA L2 Member #12180
Blog: http://www.ausrockets.com/ -- Twitter: http://twitter.com/ausrockets -- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ausrockets

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:54 pm

Hee hee .... nice avatar image Ben :) ... had to decode it of course .... (http://zxing.org/w/decode.jspx): ... http://www.ausrockets.com .... :D
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:03 pm

It was a fantastic day at Faith Lutheran College. :D

I had a priviledge to have morning tea with all the teachers and was introduced to all. Talk about made felt welcome ! 8)

Special thank you to Blake, George and Brendan for the assistance. Great photo's mate ! :wink:

All of us fielded dozen's of questions from young enquiring minds.

There was 500+ students and staff in attendance. You can see an area in the middle of the crowd where the missing 100 students should have been. They couldn't make it due to some other activity.

This made it the biggest school crowd we have spoken to, so far. 8)

This school basically can't wait to get rocketry programme going. That is cool.

Interesting "side effect" of all this is that the deputy principal Tim who arranged this display and talk has arranged me to share about rocketry in the Rotary Club meeting on the 17:th of Nov. He happens to be a Rotarian and there is a special night where all family members of members are coming to hear about this awesome hobby ! :P
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Tarpazium
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Tarpazium » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:56 am

Wow!

500+ students and staff

Who was it who said ?

"Give me the minds of your children today

... and I'll give you the rocketeers of tomorrow"

Was it - Chairman Ari - 1956 "The Long March" ?

Taking the podium & addressing the masses

Faith Lutheran College Rally - 2009

Great Work Ari and gang!

Your efforts in bringing rocketry into the lives of schools children will hopefully kindle a sparks of interest in this subject and foster a desire for learning that will stay with them for the rest of their lives. Events such as this in association with what their teachers provide in the classroom can only help bring rocketry into the mainstream.

Your efforts in bringing rocketry to school children should be example that demonstrates clearly the benefits to the whole community of Australian Rocketry clubs of working in association with schools. I am confident that almost every parent of the those child who attended yesterday would of heard all about rocketry at last nights dinner table.

I trust the bringing the magic of your schools rocketry program was equally as rewarding for all those who where involved. The whole idea of teaching children "how to learn about rocketry", I think should be a high priority for all Australian rocketry clubs.

Power to you guys.........

Tarp
“Measure what is measurable, and make measurable what is not so.”

[IMG]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m149/tarpazium/jz1afQl.gif[/IMG]

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:42 am

Thank you Len for your kind and encouraging words ! I know your heart lies in this too ! :)

The old proverb : "It's more blessed to give than to receive" is spot on with relation to these school visits. Sure, it takes time and effort but the "buzz" you get being threre and talk about the subject you really have passion for is incredible. I'm sure George, Blake and Brendan would agree with that. 8)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Sumo310
L3 Perfectionist
L3 Perfectionist

Postby Sumo310 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:07 am

Wow, thats a lot of students watching on!

I believe its opportunities like these which make Queensland Rocketry Society not just a little old rocket club. We've had great public support for our launch days which have helped the club grow, so its fantastic to see we can contribute something back into the community.

Without school visits and the effort Ari and co put into contributing to school programs, we probably wouldn't have received the Qld Government's Gambling Community Benefit Fund grant.

On thate note, I might have another school interested, who offered to pay for us to come out and do a presentation! Might leave this one until next year though ;)

Simon
L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:42 am

Good work Simon and yes, all the references did help but you did the work mate ! :)

Simon, I have had schools enquire from me how much for a display. and a talk. I have always said it's totally free. That said, it does cost a little in fuel and motors to do these so a nominal fee would help ? I really don't mind as it is a pleasure to do these.

It would be good to arrange it for new year as I have the Rotary Club one and then another school on the Sunshine Coast has asked to attend to "RSO" their rocket launch. They have 52 rockets to launch !!! This takes place on the 2:nd of December 2009. 8)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:46 pm

Amazing work, guys.
Sounds like you'll be in demand for some time, Ari
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:33 pm

Kryten, it is nice to feel wanted !!! :lol:

This very afternoon from 3.30pm I was with some students and teachers from Loreto College at Coorparoo. We were at the local park to launch 6 rockets built by these students.

The quality of the build was...hhmmm, quite rough and checking them out I knew most will fail but heck, they were to be launched with A motors which took them only around 100 feet max.

We had a ball there and I had couple of my rockets with me on display. Visualize this guy's : Public park after the school is out. There is couple of good size rockets in the middle of the field and students about to launch. It didn't take long to have an audience !! 8)

It became a "intro to the rocketry" session and many were planning to come to our future launches ! :)

I got a nice card from the students and a bottle of white wine as a thank you. :)

These guys can't wait to continue with their new found hobby. :P

I believe Petar and Blake attended another school today too. First for QRS Inc. Two schools in one day ! 8)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

RobAust
Engineer
Engineer

Postby RobAust » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:38 pm

Hi Ari,

I spoke with Blake today and he was also at another school promoting the sport. The message is certainly getting out there - great stuff.

It seems rockets are magnets for kids (young and old alike) so I can easily visualise you on the field with a school heading toward you !

Austin has been printing off directions to the field and giving this to his school mates who have been asking for directions, we may have a few more keen on-lookers this December. His recent show and tell has sparked some interest.

We plan to launch his PML Bull Puppy 2.1 on a F40-7W at the Dec launch so he is pretty stoked an counting down the days.

Have a good weekend,

RobW

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:22 am

Rob and Austin, great work guy's. :) I'm looking forward to visiting Austin's school early in the new year. :D

Even this last part of the 2009 is going to be busy : On Tue. night the 17:th I'll be speaking at the Rotary Club in Springwood. I'll have a display of rockets and there will be a screen with our launches being shown. 8)

Then on the Friday Petar and Blake + who ever is free, there will be another display and talk at Beaudesert State Primary School. It is so good that Petar and Blake are doing these as we can now "split" to two groups when needed. Not only can we cover more schools and get the word out there but I couldn't do it all anyway. Thank you so much guys !! :wink:

On the 2:nd of Dec. I'll be heading out to Sunshine Coast to "RSO" the launch of 55 rockets built by students at the school there. I'll be taking few of mine for display and talk to students about this awesome hobby ! :D

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Return to “School and Organisation Visits”