Mountain Creek State School visit !

School and other organisation visited from rocketry clubs.

Moderator: Moderators

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Mountain Creek State School visit !

Postby october sky » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:25 pm

On the Wed. 2nd of December 2009 we did a school visit to Mountain Creek State School which is at Sunshine Coast.

I had been in contact with the teacher since Feb. this year which culminated to this very special rocket day. Two classes had built total of 56 rockets and this was the launch day !!! 8)

I was hit with a bad stomach bug just night earlier and spent more time on the throne than in bed so I was weaker than a wet newspaper. :roll:

Anyway, we were of at just after 7am and got there before 9am. I was so happy to have Blake and Petar there to help as there was no way one person could have done it all. Consider guys 56 rockets to be prepped incl. fold the chute, wadding, motor and igniter. :lol:

I was acting as an RSO/LCO for the first part and then Blake took over as I was not feeling the best. Petar and Blake were helping students all the time with prepping while two pads were constantly launching them.

Weather was quite windy but managable with cloud cover helping to keep the heat down.

Class after class kept coming to watch the launches and countdowns were happening right around the oval. This school has over 1200 students and no doubt at least half of those got to witness rocket launch action.

Few of the classes got a brief lecture on rocketry from Petar or myself.

Two newspapers covered this special event and there is no doubt at all what many students were talking about over the dinner that night. 8)

We didn't get home till 4pm so it was a big day but really worth it. :D

Discussing it with Petar and Blake afterwards, we did manage to launch 56 rockets in 2.5 hrs which included helping with prep. etc. The whole thing ran real smooth.

I was totally surprised that the success rate was around 80%considering the fact that none of the students had ever built or flown any rockets !

Suburban Rocketry was the supplier of the rockets earlier in the year ! :)

QRS has visited 11 schools during 2009 + one Rotary club. Next year will be even bigger !! :)
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

cha05cat
Engineer
Engineer

Postby cha05cat » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:10 pm

Sounds like yourself, Petar and Blake did an awesome job!
TRA 12482 L2

Check out my rocketry blog here.
http://www.lmetzroth.net.au/

Check out my Photography FB page:
http://www.facebook.com/MetzyPix

bpratt
Engineer
Engineer

Postby bpratt » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:32 pm

Well done Ari, sorry I couldn't make it as I hoped to get up there to help you out, but timing didn't work out too well for me.

Great to see another school onside for model rocketry, and I'm sure we'll see more taking it on like this one did in the future.

bgenn
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby bgenn » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:33 am

Sounds like a great day out there, you guys are doing a fantastic job promoting an interest in rocketry in schools and supporting the studies of kids in Queensland ... it's great to see.

Keep up the good work all of you!

Ben.
QRS Member #033 -- TRA L2 Member #12180
Blog: http://www.ausrockets.com/ -- Twitter: http://twitter.com/ausrockets -- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ausrockets

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:24 am

That's real commitment!
Great work, guys
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:03 pm

Thank you guys for those encouraging words. It is a commitment, takes time etc. BUT it sure is good fun too. To see those faces looking up when their rockets took off is just so good and the usual WOW's from around the oval !! 8)

I have just received an e mail from the teacher who organized it and the bug has bitten in really bad in the school. Next year they reckon they'll have at least 4 classes involved and might plan to have 2-3 day launch schedule. This letter is another great reference to us. :)

I have no doubt in my mind at all that all this helps to promote our great hobby in one of the best ways possible. :wink:

Blake should have few photos to add to this thread, hopefully soon. :)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

memberr
Engineer
Engineer

Postby memberr » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:21 pm

Awesome work guys :)

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:15 pm

Finally managed to upload the photos from the event Ari, Petar and I (not forgetting Paivi and Montana) attended at Mountain Creek Primary.

Maybe it was just bad timing, or that is Ari not feeling well, but he has one of his funny looks :-P

QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:19 pm

Thank you Blake ! :D

That's my "normal look". :lol: Man, I was not well yet that day and felt it but it all went good.

The photos here don't give the right idea of group after group of students wandering for look see. It was a great day for rocketry involving the youth. 8)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

whipfest
Engineer
Engineer

Postby whipfest » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:36 pm

Top work guys. Well done !!!

8)
What were you thinking about as you sat atop the Redstone rocket, waiting for liftoff?

"The fact that every part of this ship was built by the low bidder"

Alan Shepard

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:23 pm

As Ari mentioned those photos do not give that amazing day justice. It was unfortunate that we were all so busy I did not take enough photos.

To try and explain it a little, we basically had 2 pads going constantly 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... WOOSH, then again 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... WOOSH, followed by NNEEXXTT!! whilst those 2 were being retrieved, the next 2 would be loaded and connected. It was actually a total of 61 rockets flown, so thats approximately 1 rocket every 2½ minutes.

It was like a mass production line straight out of China, but a lot more fun!! :-D
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

Tarpazium
Engineer
Engineer

Postby Tarpazium » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:51 pm

"From little things ......

..... big things grow !"

by (the other) Paul Kelly

...... or perhaps just what the true "magic" of rocketry really is !

To Ari, Petar and Blake.

What a MONSTER year it has been with the school rocketry program. You know you may have ONLY spent a single day with the latest group of 1200 children at the school at Mountain Creek Primary, but who can tell just how much you may have already influenced the future of some of these children.

A school teacher and a West Virginian Science Fair competition changed
the lives of Homer Hickham and his school friends forever in 1960's

In years to come, we may very well be hearing from the commander of some future Mars Mission, recalling that "one day that changed the rest of their life". Imagine if they were to recall how his or her whole outlook on education, science and life changed forever, after they were inspired after having the deeply memorable experience of launching their very first rocket.

When did this change occur ?

Well it was after three men from QRS came to visit their own local primary schools and showed them how they too could launch a rocket ....... and all this was required "spark", that set ablaze and nurtured their young inquiring mind.

What a fantastic outreach program!

Some people talk about doing such things, others less imaginative than you guys search for ideas on how to do this -

- but -

You guys have the purpose and strength of conviction about the science of rocketry to actually just go and do it !.

I believe the whole Rocketry community in Australia really needs to commended you ALL and should be indebted for your works and enthusiasm in working in this area.

Please keep trying to make a difference to ALL our futures by inspiring and exciting our youth - Great Work!

Thanks for continuing to make the "magic" happen .......

Len Forsyth

P.S.

In order to obtain a clearer perspective for others, as well as yourselves regarding the potential extent of your influence on these young lives, can I just ask,

"How many school kids in total, do you think you have exposed to rocketry, through the schools who have invited you, to conduct your school visitation program in 2009 ?"

(I would suggest to you, that without even knowing the final number, that collectively the number of school based spectators would make your works the biggest Australian Launch audience to date!)

I'd still be most interested to know a number.

Tarp
“Measure what is measurable, and make measurable what is not so.”

[IMG]http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m149/tarpazium/jz1afQl.gif[/IMG]

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:42 pm

You nearly made me weep Len !!

Thank you for your kind words. I have often thought about it the same way as in how cool it would be to get a call years from now from one of these students who might had been inspired in what we did. 8)

I went to have a look at my school visit diary ( I like keeping it for future reference) and close estimate of students that have been to our display/presentation is around 1700 - 1800 students. Note that not all of the 1200+ students could make it in this last visit but around half of that number.

As I mentioned earlier, next year is shaping up to be one exciting year for school rocketry ! :D

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Return to “School and Organisation Visits”