School and Organisation visits by QRS Inc. 2010

School and other organisation visited from rocketry clubs.

Moderator: Moderators

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

School and Organisation visits by QRS Inc. 2010

Postby october sky » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:31 pm

I have a good feeling that this year will be a big one for us as far as displayes and visits go to schools and other organisations. :) ( amongst other things). :wink:

At the time of writing this, we have 2 bookings for late Feb. and one for March already. Interestingly enough these are all groups of around 30+ students and all home schooled. All parents are also invited for these displayes. I will be reporting on these as they get closer. 8)
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Sumo310
L3 Perfectionist
L3 Perfectionist

Re: School and Organisation visits by QRS Inc. 2010

Postby Sumo310 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:02 pm

How many schools etc did QRS get to during 2009 Ari? I've lost count...
L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:11 pm

Mate, we did 10 schools and one Rotary Club ! :)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:58 pm

I have had confirmation for the following displays : 1) 22.2.10 at 10am,Capalaba regional park, Pittwin rd, Capalaba.
2) 25.2.10 at 1.30pm, Whites Hill reserve, Boundary Rd, Camp Hill. 3) 25.3.10 at 1.30pm,Carindale Recreation Reserve, Cnr. Bedivere & Cadogan. st, Carindale. :)

These are all groups of 20-50 home schooled students and a bonus is that there will be number of parents involved.

Also on the 10th of March I have been asked to speak to group of retired men ( "Phobus Club") about rocketry. This is the follow on from late last years Rotary visit. :wink:

Any and all members that are available are invited to come along. Petar and I will do our usual presentation with a rocket launch at the end. 8)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:42 pm

I had a pleasure to talk to around 30 homeschooled students at Capalaba Regional Park. Ages varied from 6 to 14 and there were lot of parents involved thus the total number of people there was around 60. :)

All the students were very quiet during the presentation and there was real good Q/A session after.

The park had a lot of trees around it but as there was no wind, I was able to launch my 'ol Patriot on B6-4 and it landed within 5 meters from the launch pad. Students and parents absolutely loved this. 8)

After giving out flyers, many vouched to come to our launches and I was specially taken by young man ( oldest of the group) who stayed back to help me load up, asked many questions and can't wait to get into this awesome hobby. Petar and Blake had prior engagements thus couldn't make it. They actually did a school last Friday and the report will appear here soon.

Next one is on Thur. !

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:14 pm

Today, 25.2.10 we had a pleasure to do another talk and display at Whites Hill Reserve for another group of home schooled students. The group was around 60 students and parents.

Blake was there to help which was real good and he is a top man to work with. The weather was not the best with strong wind showers around but the show must go on.

We had a lot of interest from the group and many planning to come to the launch and starting rocketry as a hobby.

We even managed the launch with rain and the wind, talk about dedication.

I had a support of my wife and our little Montana there too which was nice ! 8)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:25 am

Certainly added a bit of excitement to the talk, but everything went perfectly!
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:51 pm

I had a pleasure to do a display and talk today at 11am for "Probus Club of Cornubia".

Before, early in the morning at work around 6am I managed to pull my lower back muscle(s) to the point that just standing up or any wrong turn and it stops basically your breathing. Now, all those who have had this happen, know what I'm talking about. I have had it many times so by gritting your teeth you can move on. Thankfully I had loaded the car night before with all the gear.

I was made very welcome and I didn't realise what an inportant day it was for them and I was able to share "awesomness" of rocketry. It was their AGM. Peter, their president had heard me talk at the Rotary Club last year and wanted these folks to hear it too. There was exactly 50 people there ( I actually counted them).

Number of ladies were present too. i must say that they really listened and once it was over, the Q/A session was brilliant. It was nice to hear from at least three ladies that they thought this would be boring but they found it very interesting. Many of these top people will be at our launch(es) and most said they will tell their kids and grandkids all about it.

Couple of the men gave me a hand packing the goods away as they could see how my back was hurting...maybe my stance gave it away as in like some one had shoved a pole up my rear orifice !!! :roll:

I was presented with a pen as a thank you, very nice. :)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Scoop1261
L3 Rocket GURU
L3 Rocket GURU

Postby Scoop1261 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:04 pm

Hey Ari,

Great to see you are keeping up the promotional work for rocketry. This does not just benefit QRS but all of rocketry in Australia.

I have said it to you many times, but I just don't know how you do it!
The dedication is something we mere mortals can only aspire to!

So, just who or what are the "Probus Club of Cornubia"?
What is it they do?

Perhaps you could give us all a brief rundown on them?
Why Limit Yourself?

AMRS #4 - L3 |TRA #11080 - L3 |MDRA #263

Impulse: A Whole Lot ..So much I've lost count!

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:44 pm

Hey GURU and other rocketeers. Apologies for late reply but I had real problems logging into the forum but all sweet now.

Appreciate your kind comments but you know how it is, if you love what you do it's a privilidge. I must admit though that prior to public launch, I start to feel bit "had it", but it's all good.

PRO ( professional) and BUS (business) = PROBUS. Mainly retired or semi retired professional or business people get together in similar fashion to Rotary or Lions and do community work. I believe Probus was formed 1996 or 94. It's Australia wide. :)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:39 pm

Today we had a pleasure of doing the display and talk for some home schooled kids. It looked like a small croup first but by the time we started there was around 30 kids and lots of parents.

Thank's to Petar, Blake and Leigh for coming along and in an usual manner Petar did an excellent moon landing presentation and I followed it up with how the rockets work.There was many questions and we will always remember a boy there who possibly knew more about space than we did ! Oh yeah, I had a pleasure of having my wife and little Montana present. :)

It was a bit windy but not that bad and the 'ol faithful Patriot took to the skies for the umpteenth time and landed nice and close. Students just love this and it's very exciting for all. It was a good afternoon overall. 8)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:55 pm

Following displays and talks are in the pipeline : Next Mond. the 19.4.10 I'll be heading out to Caloundra State High. Grades 12 and 11 are taught aerospace so this fits in real well. I'll be heading out at 7am as the trip takes around hour and a half specially with the morning traffic.

Then quite exciting news : In August, Logan North Library is holding science and sci fi month. They had it last year too and proved very popular. I was contacted by them because they had seen an article about us and the launch in March. They like to promote the science aspect more and that's where rocketry fits in perfectly. Most likely date is Sat. the 14th of August. The talk will be held at 10.30am which is a busy time at the library and further details are fort coming as far as when do we put up the display. Note guys that they are serious about our participation by cinema advertising and running adds during CH. 7's Great South East programme + newspapers. You might see familiar photos in those adds. :wink: Ps. It would be good if number of us could be present and club T shirt is mandatory for this one. 8)

In September we have been asked to be "main attraction" at Parklands Christian College fete which attracts big crowds. More details to follow.

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

m8rix
THE REGULATOR
THE REGULATOR

Postby m8rix » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:51 pm

Next Mond. the 19.4.10 I'll be heading out to Caloundra State High.

I am having some time off work at the moment so if you need an extra pair of hands with Caloundra High on Monday
I'm more than happy to help out :)
QRS #047
TRA #12583 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:26 pm

Thank's Matrix,very much up to you. Setting up takes around 20 min. ( we are getting good at it by now :wink: ) but if you want to come and support, that would be great. There will be only myself and wife is coming as it's a bit of a drive.

If you want and can make it try to be there by 9am, that would be great. :)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:42 pm

Well, this morning we headed out just after 7am towards Caloundra at Sunshine Coast. Weather was showery but not too bad. Got to the school well in time and ended up setting the display under one of the school buildings due to showers.

It was real good having Matrix( Bruce) there to give a hand. He is local and on holidays so it worked out great. :)

The group was smallest we have spoken to, only 16 students but all are studying aerospace so it was right up their alley. You could see the interest in the young mens eyes as I spoke to them about this awesome hobby. I have no doubt that there will be few wanting to get into the hobby. 8)

We ended up launching the 'ol Patriot which went perfectly as possible, landing just few meters from the launch pad.

There was few questions that we answered to the best of our ability.

It was nice to see the principal there listening too and seemed genuinely interested asking many questions himself. Actually the funny thing is that towards the end he told my wife he "better get back to work" and then appearing back in few minutes !! :lol: It shows what was more interesting. Also the deputy principal turned up and others. Thank's to Bruce who spoke to them at length. I had a head cold and and voice started to give up so that was much appreciated mate. :wink:

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Return to “School and Organisation Visits”