School and Organisation visits by QRS Inc. 2010

School and other organisation visited from rocketry clubs.

Moderator: Moderators

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Re: School and Organisation visits by QRS Inc. 2010

Postby october sky » Fri May 07, 2010 10:47 am

I have some very exciting news about the August Science & Sci Fi month to be held at Logan North Library !

I met the librarian in charge of the event yesterday afternoon and what a massive opportunity this is for us to promote rocketry.

They have in average 17000 people visit the library in monthly bases BUT during the Sci FI month extra 5000 people come for a look and see.

Normally they produce a quarterly colour booklet to show what's happening there but for this one it's a special booklet of it's own and QRS Inc. will get a full two page opening there with photos etc.

This booklet is distributed to all 9 Logan libraries with copies sent to Brisbane libraries and most schools.

They will run adds in cinema and on channel 7's "Great South East" programme which will feature rocketry.

There will be media release to all newspapers and there will be radio advertising for the event.

I checked the facilities which are brilliant as the library is quite new and we can pick any area we want. This all will depend on the number of people registering to see and hear about the hobby. This will be the interesting part. There are small conference rooms that fit 50-60 people or we can be upstairs where we can seat 100+ people. All depending on the interest this will create. Amanda, the librarian said she reckons this is the best thing they have ever had and will promote it heavily thus she reckons there will be lots of people there. Also, as the display is on Sat. and the talk at 10.30 am she said they get always over 1000 people through there on Saturdays.

I'm slightly excited about this opportunity so lets hope for good turn up. NOTE : I would really like to see as many "Yellow Shirts" there as possible on that Saturday to support this awesome event. I'll get the day soon out but it is in August. Set up is from 8.30am and talk at 10.30am + we want to hang around hour or two after depending how many people there are. It's a truly fantastic opportunity to talk to people one on one.

To top it all of : I was able to leave bunch of our promo flyers to be given away from the library but not only that Amanda said if I wanted to I could give them many more and she would make sure all 9 Logan libraries would have them on hand !!! 8)
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

bpratt
Engineer
Engineer

Postby bpratt » Fri May 07, 2010 11:30 am

Put me down as a "Definately want to be there subject to other calendar issues". :)

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat May 08, 2010 3:07 pm

Thank's for that Brendan, at least some one is considering to come and help. I realize this is still early days but I hope there would be quite a group there to represent QRS and rocketry in general.

I'll update this thread as we get closer to the event. :)

I'm also waiting to hear from one of the biggest and well known schools in Brissie, "Churchie" for a confirmation for a display and talk about rocketry. This should happen in June/July. 8) Thank's for this one goes to one of our members who attends the school and is doing really well in rocketry with his dad. Thank's JT. :)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Fri May 21, 2010 1:49 pm

Just today I have had a confirmation for the display at Parklands Christian College for their fete on the 4th of September 2010. We need to set up from around noon and the fete starts at 2 pm and will run till 7pm with fireworks etc. but we can leave around 5pm.

There will be two low power rocket launches planned at their field, one at 3pm and the other 4pm.

I again ask for all available "yellow shirts" to come and support + promote rocketry. They get hundreds of people there every year and we are one of the main attractions.

I know that the Logan library event and this one is still bit in the future but I really would like to hear from those intending of helping as that's what's needed here. Just by being there wearing a club shirt is advertising about this great hobby and the QRS Inc. 8)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Sat May 22, 2010 7:10 am

october sky wrote:Just today I have had a confirmation for the display at Parklands Christian College for their fete on the 4th of September 2010. We need to set up from around noon and the fete starts at 2 pm and will run till 7pm with fireworks etc. but we can leave around 5pm.

There will be two low power rocket launches planned at their field, one at 3pm and the other 4pm.

I again ask for all available "yellow shirts" to come and support + promote rocketry. They get hundreds of people there every year and we are one of the main attractions.

I know that the Logan library event and this one is still bit in the future but I really would like to hear from those intending of helping as that's what's needed here. Just by being there wearing a club shirt is advertising about this great hobby and the QRS Inc. 8)

I didn't mean to hijack this thread - it can be relocated to somewhere else in the forum - but I'd like to know what sort of hoops you need to jump through to launch at events like this.
Last year I was looking at having a display at a local fair, but issues of insurance coverage and health & safety made it all too difficult
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat May 22, 2010 9:23 am

Only once we have been asked for our public liability insurance info after all the schools we have been to.

As we only launch LPR to max 300 feet which is fine with CASA and we have all safety distances most times trebled, we really have never had an issue with this. Only few teachers have asked for the info what really takes place so they can put it down to their H&S report.

The lady organizing this fete didn't ( so far) ask any further info after I explained what and how it's done. They still might though.

I fully understand Kryten that it can be a real pain due to all the regulations etc. but as I said so far by letting all know exactly what takes place we have never so far had a problem. :)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:55 am

We have a confirmed date for the Logan North Library display and talk : It's on the 7th of August ( Sat.) Set up is from 8.30am and talk at 10.30am. Idea is to stick around for an hour or so after to talk to people there before taking down the display. :wink:

I would like to encourage all who can be there on the day to let me know asap as it would be great to have as many "yellow shirts" there as possible. Thanks guys. :)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:24 pm

I have had request from "Australian Scout Assoc." if we could be part of their activities and we have been booked to do the display and talk on the 20th and 27th of Sept. at 10am. More details to follow as we get closer to the event. 8)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:32 pm

The Logan North Library display and talk is fast approaching. Just today I took two of my rockets to be displayed at the library till end of August. There is a sign attached to the display that shows our website and small spell about the rockets being displayed( thank's Blake). :)

Not only that but they are right next to the counter so everyone that enters and leaves the library can not but see them. That means that around 17000 people will see the display, not bad for free advertising. 8)

As you enter the library up the stairs there is a A1 size flyer that says : "Try rocketry, it's uplifting" ( where did they get that from :wink: )with all the details about the display and talk. They got flyers printed that people can take away about the display and to top it all of they will put a small table next to the rocket display that I just set up with bundle of our club flyers on it. The rockets will be surrounded with space/rocket based books. :D

Now would be the time to let me know who will be available to attend this display to help and represent QRS ! Thank's to Petar who will share the talk with me. We need people who can talk to people after the display. :)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Sumo310
L3 Perfectionist
L3 Perfectionist

Postby Sumo310 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:13 pm

I'm out for 7th August, will be giving a talk of my own about rockets to a group of older 'kids'.
L3

RobAust
Engineer
Engineer

Postby RobAust » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:33 pm

Hi Ari,

As discussed, Austin and I will be able to help at the 'Logan North Library display and talk', we'll man the stand after the talk.

Austin made a pretty cool drawing for his class mates of a rockets flight which may help him explain it in his terms "Apugee" and "wooding".....

We have a few teachers in the family and when I mentioned Science and sci-fi, we may also add to the crowd !

Regards,
Rob Winchcomb
QRS# 053
QRC# 052
TRA# 12746 (L2)
CAR# S1090 (L3)

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:28 am

Very much appreciated Rob and Austin ! :D

Let your family/friends know that they just need to ring the library to book in. It is free though. :wink:

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:56 am

Unfortunately I won't be there, however because you want as many yellow shirts as possible, I can drop mine off to you to show around on the day ;-) haha

I think it will be an amazing day and especially for rocketry in general!
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:45 pm

Your smelly T shirt....... We want people to come there, not to repel them. :lol:

Well, your dad will present you mate ! :wink:

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

bpratt
Engineer
Engineer

Postby bpratt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:20 pm

october sky wrote:
Well, your dad will resent you mate ! :wink:

Edit: fixed typo. :lol: :lol: :lol: