School and Organisation visits by QRS Inc. 2010

School and other organisation visited from rocketry clubs.

Moderator: Moderators

bpratt
Engineer
Engineer

Re: School and Organisation visits by QRS Inc. 2010

Postby bpratt » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:27 pm

october sky wrote:On the Mond. 27th of Sept. we are going to see some scouts. The display will be held at "The BP Park", Cash Ave, Samford. We need to be there by 9.30am for 10am start. I believe Petar and possibly Blake have promised to be there for this one.

Then on the Thur.14th of Oct. ( only few days after the "October Skies" launch) there is a display at Emmaus College at Jimboomba. Interesting fact about this one is that originally the teacher who contacted me wanted this display for the year 5 kids only. After encouraging him to get some others involved now it's 400-450 students !!! 8) It is to kick off at 9am so latest we want to be there is 8.30am.

On the Mond.25th of Oct. there will be a display a Moggill Rd State School starting at 10am. Again, we need to be there at 9.30am. Note that this is the second time we are doing it for this school. :)

Tewantin S.S.date has to be still confirmed. We had to cancell this due to expected bad weather which never eventuated anyway. :roll:

Samford is a bit too far for me at that time of a Monday morning.

Emmaus one I will be there for sure, as it's not all that far to go to.

I doubt I'll be awake before 10am after the GC600 event to get to Moggill Road SS, but let us know when the Tewantin one is, and I'll see what I can do to get there.

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:41 pm

This morning I was with the Scout group in Samford sharing about this awesome hobby. Samford is around 1hr's drive from south side of Brissie where I live. It's a beautiful area surrounded by mountains.

Group had around 30 Scouts of primary school age kids and boy did they like what they saw !! 8)

Did the talk and also shared about the "Australian Youth Rocketry Challenge" which the leaders took on board and said they want to get involved for sure. There was 5 leaders present and I had a good talk with operations manager who was very keen on the idea of taking part in the AYRC. 8)

After launching the small Patriot just about all of the Scouts kept saying how they want to come and watch the next launch ie. "October Skies" to see big ones go up ! :lol:
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:30 pm

On this coming Mond. the 25th of October I'll be heading out to Moggill Rd State School for another display and talk. This is the second time at this school, did one last year too. It will start at 10am. Bugger that I have to go to work before and after. :roll: This is the only school ( so far) where the principal will not allow for launch of the LPR rocket. Have to respect that as she is the "RSO" of the day ! :wink:

There are 4 more schools in line before Xmas to do so busy times ! :)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

hybridhighflyer
Engineer
Engineer

Postby hybridhighflyer » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:41 am

Last edited by hybridhighflyer on Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:55 pm

It was excellent croup of kids consisting of two year 7's and I believe two year 6's. Around 90 students all up with 3 teachers in attendance. :)

It was interesting to see the reaction of the students that had just finished the parade and they all walked past the display of rockets....the number of wow's and some other "stronger' words was constant ! :lol:

I asked the students whether they have heard of radio controlled cars ( with the show of hands) as a hobby, radio controlled planes, boats or trains. Around 70% to 85% response to say yes. Then the question about rocketry and I specially asked them to be honest. There were TWO students that knew about the hobby !!!! I have always stated that around 98% of people are not aware of it and this again proves the point. :roll:

Bit by bit we are trying to change this as these young people will be the future members and maybe one day be involved with the "real" things. :D

There was a record number of questions and it could have gone even longer. Students were very excited about the AYRC and possibility to enter next year. 8)

In a day or so I'll be posting the next display places and dates.

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:18 am

Mountain Creek Primary School is doing a launch of 200 rockets next Wednesday 3 November. They have asked if anyone can help, so I was wondering who might like to carpool? I will be taking the AYRC launch controller and pads so help with the flow of launches. Ari, Petar and I did this last year with 67 launches and it flowed very well. Stepping it up 3 fold this year will be great fun!

Please let me know if you are OK to help!
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

~RR~
Engineer
Engineer

Postby ~RR~ » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:44 am

kopius wrote:Mountain Creek Primary School

is that sunshine coast?
Shane...
TRA # 11474

hybridhighflyer
Engineer
Engineer

Postby hybridhighflyer » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:29 am

Last edited by hybridhighflyer on Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:58 pm

Yeah guys, sorry I should have mentioned Sunny Coast ;-)

QRS is the closest rocketry club.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:19 pm

I'll be also bringing the controller we use for school demo's so there will be 5 launch pads operating. I believe the time would be around 9.30am to start. This school was to enter the AYRC but had to pull out right at the last minute but no doubt they will be there next year with bells on ! :D

Here is the list of the displays/talks that will take place before schools close : 3.11.10 see above. Then on Friday the 5th I'll heading out to Tewantin State School, at Werkin st where there should be two displays. One takes place at 10am the other 10.55am. Note this is at Sunshine Coast also so if Bruce and Wayne can make it, great ? Shane if you are off that day it would be great to see you there too ?

11.11.10 Thursday, there will be a display/talk at Emmaus College at Jimboomba starting at 9am. This is naturally close to our launch area so should attract bit of attention. Blake and Petar are so far going with me.

17.11.10 Wednesday, there will be one at Northpine Christian College, Dakabin at 9.50 till 11am. This started as a display/talk to 30 math students and has grown in interest to include around 200 students ! :D

There will be still one for Beaudesert Primary ( winners and third place getters on this years AYRC), date to be confirmed and possibility of one to Beaudesert High ! :lol:

I have this funny feeling it will be a busy November ! :wink:

We have also already two bookings for early next year at two libraries, one at Jimboomba and the other at Beenleigh. This has lot to do with the one we did at Logan North Library earlier, word travels fast ! 8)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

bpratt
Engineer
Engineer

Postby bpratt » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:24 pm

october sky wrote:
11.11.10 Thursday, there will be a display/talk at Emmaus College at Jimboomba starting at 9am. This is naturally close to our launch area so should attract bit of attention. Blake and Petar are so far going with me.

Add me to that list. ;)

There will be still one for Beaudesert Primary ( winners and third place getters on this years AYRC), date to be confirmed and possibility of one to Beaudesert High ! :lol:

We have also already two bookings for early next year at two libraries, one at Jimboomba and the other at Beenleigh. This has lot to do with the one we did at Logan North Library earlier, word travels fast ! 8)

Let us know when you get the details for all of those.

RobAust
Engineer
Engineer

Postby RobAust » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:32 pm

Hi Ari / Blake,

I can grab a day off work next week, It would be great to help, please let me know which you would like my assistance at; Mountain Creek or Tewantin ?

Regards,

RobW
Rob Winchcomb
QRS# 053
QRC# 052
TRA# 12746 (L2)
CAR# S1090 (L3)

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:24 pm

I reckon the Mountain Creek would be the one assisting students set up etc. :wink: Thank's Rob. :)

Thank's Brendan ! :)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

hybridhighflyer
Engineer
Engineer

Postby hybridhighflyer » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:50 am

Last edited by hybridhighflyer on Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m8rix
THE REGULATOR
THE REGULATOR

Postby m8rix » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:53 am

Mountain Creek Primary School is doing a launch of 200 rockets next Wednesday 3 November.

More than happy to help. Let me know the start time.
QRS #047
TRA #12583 L3

Return to “School and Organisation Visits”