QRS Inc calendar for 2011

School and other organisation visited from rocketry clubs.

Moderator: Moderators

RobAust
Engineer
Engineer

Re: QRS Inc calendar for 2011

Postby RobAust » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:49 pm

Hey Ari, Petar & Blake,

The year 3 class had to write an article for the school/parish magazine of their visit from the men from Queensland Rocket Society, a copy is below. It is quite cute as it is as viewed through "a childs eye's", apparently your rockets are only 200 Cm smaller than their usual size....

The magazine is called the "Trinity Magazine" and has over 1,000 copies being printed, I have a saved a few for you.

St. Dympna's.jpg

A true contribution to our Community and enhancement to our hobby.

Again, the sincerest of thanks and a truly great effort.

Regards,
Rob Winchcomb
QRS# 053
QRC# 052
TRA# 12746 (L2)
CAR# S1090 (L3)

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:46 pm

That's great guys. Well done! Thanks for posting that Rob.
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

cha05cat
Engineer
Engineer

Postby cha05cat » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:59 pm

It is good to see actual continual work being done towards the hobby rocketry community by someone in Australia!
TRA 12482 L2

Check out my rocketry blog here.
http://www.lmetzroth.net.au/

Check out my Photography FB page:
http://www.facebook.com/MetzyPix

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:19 pm

Rob, much appreciated ! :D

Leigh.....I know EXACTLY what you mean by that comment !! :roll: :wink:
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Lunar_Rendezvous
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Lunar_Rendezvous » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:46 pm

october sky wrote:Hey Mike,good to know. It's up to you really if you want to attend, it's great to have company and to rep. QRS. :D

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend this time Ari, a job has come up that I cannot reschedule, however my offer to help still stands and I am more than happy to assist you and QRS with any future projects.

Cheers
Mike.

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:16 pm

All good Mike, just keep an eye on this thread for any future displays, which brings me to the next item! :wink:

On August the 25th of ( Thu.) from 6pm till 7pm we'll be putting up a display and talk at Logan North Library which is holding it's annual "Sci Fi & Science" month. Last year we were there also but the attendance was low mainly due to having to hold it in the middle of the day. Now it's at night so we are hoping for bit better attendance. Even though from last years display we picked up new family as members so numbers aren't everything.

I would really appreciate and encourage all who can to attend ( specially those from the south side) to support this out reach for the this awesome hobby ! :D

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:56 pm

This morning Petar and I had a pleasure to attend Chapel Hill State Primary with truly enthusiastic group of 75 students from grades 5-7 ! 8)

I have been lately pretty crook ( to say the least) mainly due personal stress and it was so good to share the talk with my good friend. I reckon we make a good team without bragging about it as we both share the same passion about rocketry & space. :D

The talk was really well received with lot of questions asked and the launch went perfectly. It was so good to see that two girl students really wanted to get involved and said they'll get a team together for the AYRC, "they can't wait" ! :D

DVD was shown after and it was again a huge hit!! Leigh is updating this one real soon too.....hint, hint ! :wink:

Petar snapped this one just before the students arrived !It should be noted that yesterday was blowing a gale but today only a breeze ! :)

Ps. I know that we don't do much for rocketry in Australia as some others but we do our best...... :P

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:05 pm

There will be a display and talk at Pine Rivers Park at Strathpine on Friday the 12 of August at 10am. :D

This is for Northside Christian Home Schooling Group and consists of app.30+ students.

Anyone free on the day and maybe from that side of town is more than welcome to attend and get a "buzz" from the kids. 8)

We have also been asked to attend a big science comp./fair on the 23rd of August held at Beaudesert Show Grounds. There will be around 20 schools attending from the region with comp.entries and we have been asked to share a 15 min. talk about rocketry to each group attending. Also, we are able to launch couple of LPR's during the day. :mrgreen:

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

RobAust
Engineer
Engineer

Postby RobAust » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:11 pm

Hey Ari,

I'll let you know by Wednesday if I can make it, i'd certainly like to, these are always great days.

Regards,

RobW

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:56 pm

Thank's Rob, I know that you are one of the supporters of this outreach so if you can't make it, I fully understand.

I had actually a call from the lady who has organized all this and told me that there are many more students as the word is spreading. :D

The park is at Gympie Rd, Strathpine.

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:35 pm

Today I had a pleasure to share message about rocketry with the biggest group( so far) of home schooled students & most parents present. There would have been over 100 people and around 50+ students. Presentation took place at Pine Rivers Park at Strathpine.

This was one well behaved and enthusiastic group indeed ! You can always pick up the ones who really "got it" with eyes sparkling. :D

Lots of questions were asked and after that we walked to nice big clear area to launch our LPR. No one noticed that there was actually a canal close by which was holding heaps of running water and was 20 meters wide.....well, launch went perfect but landing, yes you guessed it, into the drink but only just. No damage except slightly damp Code Red. :wink:

I believe there will be number of rocketeers coming from this group and they are starting to think about getting a team or two together for next years AYRC. 8)

Having parents there really helped as many of them got as excited about rockets as kids. :P

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:26 am

Can't always let Ari have all the fun ;-)

On Wednesday I visited Indooroopilly SHS who have a team entering the AYRC 2011. It was only a small group of about 15 senior students who are studying a series of aviation type subjects, however was great to go into detail about the workings of rockets.

The AYRC team showed me some of the rocket in progress and it was great to see the enthusiasm and out of the box discussion with designs and concepts. I really look forward to seeing theirs and other fly this year.

At the end of the discussion, I also had a lengthy chat with one student who is planning on applying for ADFA (Australian Defence Force Academy), who although wants to be a RAAFY, seemed like a very intelligent young man and I hope he does well in his chosen path. It certainly brought back some memories of the initial recruitment processes.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:11 pm

Good stuff mate ! :D

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:48 pm

I have just received some positive news about the Logan North Library display and talk to be held on Thu. the 25th of August from 6pm. The room where we are doing the presentation holds 55 people max and it's nearly booked solid a week before the event. :D

On Tues. I'll be at Beaudesert Show grounds talking to around 20+ science teams from various schools about our awesome hobby. This should be fantastic. 8)

Then there is the AYRC next Sat. Busy rocketry time indeed. :P

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:40 pm

In the previous post I mentioned "this should be fantastic", well, I was right, it was awesome !!!! 8)

Imagine guys a big shed full of 200 students ( at least 20 schools, grades 5,6 & 7, top 2-5 students in science from each one) and at least 50 teachers. :D

This is what is called a "target audience" ! There was 5 rotations and on each one I was able to share the exciting news about rocketry and how it works with the usual display. Glen McGarry from Beaudesert Primary was there to share with students how to go about starting rocketry club in their school as Glen has done in theirs. Glen has motivated his students big time with year ago having 8 students in rocketry while now it's 25 strong. They did so well in AYRC. Well done Glen & Beaudesert Primary.

There was rain belting down in that tin roof from time to time but we soldiered on with a loud voice.

I thought there is no way we get to launch a rocket but there was a perfect brake in rain around lunch time and everyone went to main rink where with assistance from Glen I was able to launch "Code Red" on the usual B6-4. Launch went just about perfect and students really liked it. 8)

No doubt next year we'll see many more teams at AYRC due to this event. :P

Thank you to Glen for all your help & for great encouragement so students could start rocketry club in their schools and also to Anne Reardon whose work is fantastic promoting rocketry for the schools as a science facilitator ! :D

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Return to “School and Organisation Visits”