QRS Inc calendar for 2011

School and other organisation visited from rocketry clubs.

Moderator: Moderators

Stewart
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Re: QRS Inc calendar for 2011

Postby Stewart » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:21 pm

Thats called "fate"Ari and its smileing on you for all your god work
QRS#85
TRA#13049 L2

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:27 pm

I also believe that it's a bit more than just luck ! Thank's Stewart for your kind comments ! :D
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:37 pm

Today at 1.30pm I was at Jimboomba Library to do another display and talk about rocketry. I actually went to work from 6am till 11 am, loaded the ute and off I went. Pity that I had to work after the talk too. :roll:

It's hard to have an audience at that sort of the time but that's how they do it. I had just 9 people there but must say that it was kind of good to talk to them as it gets more personal by having just few people around. The interest was high and one of the people had been to the launch with the family and thought it was awesome. :D

For those at interstate Jimboomba is only few minutes away from the launch site.

This coming Frid. I'll be heading out to Carindale ( south side of Brissie) to talk to group of home schooled kids. 8)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:39 pm

It's Friday and as I pulled in to Carindale Reserve I saw blue and white balloons to indicate where the group was but I only saw one lady with two kids ?? :roll:

This lady apologized saying how many last minute cancellations there were etc.etc. Great, here I am with car full of rocket gear, wife and our daughter.....what now ?

Well, we ended up by giving good time to our daughter as there was huge amount of playgroup equipment and one of the apparatus was like a moon lander with sound effects etc. 8)

Within 15 minutes there were good dozen kids there anyway so I decided to go on with the display and talk.

These students were one of the best behaved, ever ! No one said a word during the whole presentation and they took it all in, you could see it. Launch of the Code Red on a perfectly calm day went, well, perfect.

They were so keen on it all and are honestly planning a team for the AYRC. :D

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

cryoscum
STOP... Hammer Time The Prodigy
STOP... Hammer Time    The Prodigy

Postby cryoscum » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:36 pm

Good save, Ari! Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat!

Jokes aside, we get to launch M motors because the general public sees value in the science-talks and the school visits. None of us should forget that...
AMRS L3 | NAR L3 | QRS 089 | MDRA 224
AMRS Technical Advisory Group

Total impulse for 2016: 32,458 Ns (thus far)
Total impulse for 2015: 84,231 Ns
Total impulse for 2014: 40,757 Ns
Total impulse for 2013: 62,927 Ns

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:13 pm

It's kind of funny that you thought that way as it came to my mind today also. On Sund. I got to launch M powered rocket and then on Frid. I launch B6-4 for the kids. There is a "slight" difference there but all this sort of promo work helps the over all idea of getting the word out there and being recognized as a great hobby to have. :D

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:04 am

I had an interesting call earlier on the week. This lady rang to say that she had attended our last launch and thought if we would be interested to to put up a small display and have a talk to some men from a nursing home where they have their own mens club. She works there and they would be very interested.

So, next Thu. the 31st of March at 10am they'll come with a bus to a local park near our home where I'll have a talk to these men and naturally a display. :D

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

RobAust
Engineer
Engineer

Postby RobAust » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:58 am

Hey Ari,

Met with Austy's Teacher and they asked if it would be ok if QRS would be a guest speaker to provide a talk on Rockets and Space for his class. This will be in Term 2, they will provide a few dates and i'll liase with you for a convenient time if ok ?

You should have seen his face beam :-)

Have a good day.

Regards,

RobW
Rob Winchcomb
QRS# 053
QRC# 052
TRA# 12746 (L2)
CAR# S1090 (L3)

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:48 pm

Sounds good Rob, I'll look forward of hearing from you. Ps. Great to have you back from your travels. :D

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:38 pm

Firstly the display for the mens club from the retirement home had to be called off due to expected rainy weather. Pity it turned out to be nice day after all but they will re book. :wink:

Here are few more : Ipswich City Christian Church had bought lot of rockets kits for their kids to be built during the break. Thank's to Leigh who helped and guided to build 60 of them with number of adults with the kids the other night.
There is a big launch taking place next Wed. from 10am at Allawah Scout Camp at Chuwar. I'll do a talk and display before the launch and all 60 rockets will be launched right after. Thank's to Blake as we are able to borrow the AYRC controller for this event. :D

On the 28th of April at 10.30am I'll be at Beenleigh Library to do a talk and display.

On the 5th of May at 10am I'll be at Clover Hill State Primary. This is still to be confirmed.

On the 18th of May there should be one at Tallebudgera but they will confirm this also.

More to come. As I have said before one and all who can come are invited to these displays. They are fantastic and will give you a boost. 8)

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:22 pm

I have just returned from the Ipswich City Christian Church kids group launch. It was great !! :D

The display and talk went really well with great response & so many questions that we couldn't take them all.

It was so good to have Leigh and Lindall there ! Leigh had putt together a DVD showing LPR/MPR/HPR launches which was fantastic and really well received.

Then it was time to prepare rockets for the launch by installing wadding and folding the chutes. The motor was installed at launch site with the igniter and all had A motors for them.

Weather was bit cloudy with few sunny brakes and you could say calm as. Perfect for rocket launching. 8)

Then we proceeded to launch all 60 of them with the aid of the AYRC controller with 4 pads and mine that I use for school displays.

The kids had a "blast" launching them and being fairly small rockets flew really well with those A's.

It was great day for sure and one young man around 10 or so came to me and said " I really want to become a rocket scientist".....by the look of his face I didn't actually doubt him....something had really sparked inside him ! :D

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Stewart
Rocket Crew
Rocket Crew

Postby Stewart » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:57 pm

"60" launches is almost a normal launch day Ari , well done you guys.
QRS#85
TRA#13049 L2

cha05cat
Engineer
Engineer

Postby cha05cat » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:26 pm

The DVD went down incredibly well, and will become a powerful tool for future presentations.

I was surprised how quickly we got through the launches, but since we were well prepared it went extremely well. I will throw some photos up a little later.
TRA 12482 L2

Check out my rocketry blog here.
http://www.lmetzroth.net.au/

Check out my Photography FB page:
http://www.facebook.com/MetzyPix

Kryten
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby Kryten » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:48 am

What's the running time of the DVD?
Would it be possible to obtain a copy (I understand if you're reluctant to freely distribute)
Thanks
"Pub, ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks" (“Timeslides”)

cha05cat
Engineer
Engineer

Postby cha05cat » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:54 am

It looks to be about 4 minutes at this stage, but it will be a little longer when I have finished it.

Assuming it will be used for promotional purposes then I am sure we can come to some arrangement.
TRA 12482 L2

Check out my rocketry blog here.
http://www.lmetzroth.net.au/

Check out my Photography FB page:
http://www.facebook.com/MetzyPix

Return to “School and Organisation Visits”