QRS Inc calendar for 2011

School and other organisation visited from rocketry clubs.

Moderator: Moderators

digger
Parachute Packer
Parachute Packer

Re: QRS Inc calendar for 2011

Postby digger » Sun May 22, 2011 7:21 am

Hi Everyone

Spent Friday morning Ari attending some schools in my local area. Mutdapilly Primary Schools & Roadvale Primary Schools which my two granddaughters go to.

The weather was kind to us, the kid were excited Ari was excited I honestly believe Rocketry is one of Ari’s favourite topics. The children’s enthusiasm grew every time Ari showed them the next size motor and explained to them how high they may launch a rocket. Starting with an “A” motor all the way through to a “N”
Motor casing Some of the kid then wanted to know if their was a “Z” motor available and how big would it be which even got me thing how large will model rocket go in the future. Each display finished a successful launch. Regards Larry
QRS # 042

TRA # 12835 L2

strud
Engineer
Engineer

Postby strud » Sun May 22, 2011 7:41 am

You guys are doing a fantastic job !

I honestly believe that Rocketry is probably one of the best ways to get kids excited about Science & Engineering.

CS

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sun May 22, 2011 1:03 pm

Craig, thank you mate, much appreciated. :D

I also believe in 100% in what you said. There is no better or more exciting way of getting kids into the science than learning about rocketry ! 8)

I received a real nice feed back from Mutdapilly State Primary which I like to share here. Makes you want to continue this outreach to students indeed about our awesome hobby ! :D

Hi Ari,
Thanks for a great presentation on Friday. The feedback from the children and staff was that they loved it and would love to have you back again next year.

I think you did a great job at presenting content that children from Prep to Year 7 were able to understand. We are all a lot more knowledgeable about rockets and how they work. The kids were in awe of the rockets you brought along and their low, medium and high power sources.

Well done Ari, for an excellent job.

--
Kindest Regards
Warren Keel
Principal
Mutdapilly State School
4 Mutdapilly-Churchbank Weir Road
Mutdapilly Q 4307
Phone: 5467 1338
Fax: 5467 1443
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

air.command
Astronaut
Astronaut

Postby air.command » Sun May 22, 2011 4:35 pm

Good stuff Ari. :D

I know you guys are usually limited with what size motor you can launch for the kids, but I think it would be cool if you could also do a horizontal static fire of something larger like a G motor. The noise and bright flame would really get them excited and give them a feel for what larger rockets are like. I know its a little more expensive so maybe only done for larger gatherings.

Keep up the great work guys.
Crop Circles: ... just a bunch of guys looking for their rockets ....

kopius
Elle3
Elle3

Postby kopius » Sun May 22, 2011 8:27 pm

That's a good idea AC, I think if we could budget those motors in it would certainly be a crowd pleaser. Perhaps something we can work towards in the near future.
QRS Secretary

AMRS #3 L3 ACO
Life member of QRS

NAR L2 #98260

MDRA Member #0241

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sun May 22, 2011 8:42 pm

I also agree with you George but as Blake said it would somehow have to be paid for. For large groups that could be possible. :P

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Thu May 26, 2011 2:11 pm

Today was a special display & talk as we visited St.Dympnas Primary at Aspley, also known as "Austin's School" on the north side of Brissie. :D

It was also special as this was our 40th presentation, yyyeeeaahhhh ! 8) Doesn't time fly when you are having fun.

It was great to have Petar there to explain about NASA's various rockets with 1:200 scale display and Rob & Blake were there too. Rob's wife works in the school and also Rob's mum was there all the way from Perth. 8)

The display/talk was held in a small auditorium and we had 90 or so students present + number of teachers.

Austin did a presentation of one of his rockets and it was like a rocket scientist talking to the students !! :P

I believe Rob might have few photos he can share here so everyone gets to see bit of what went on.

It was a beautiful clear day but there was quite a breeze blowing. Launch went well though, landing was on top of a small shed but the rocket slid down so all good !

I believe over all everything went pretty well and it was well received. Austin's teacher was really impressed with it all and there is now talk about entering the AYRC ! :wink:

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Lamp
Aged like a good scotch
Aged like a good scotch

Postby Lamp » Thu May 26, 2011 2:47 pm

Excellent stuff Ari, I'm glad to hear it all went well! :D
‘It takes sixty-five thousand errors before you are qualified to make a rocket.’ — Werhner von Braun
TRA 12286 L3
TAP member

RobAust
Engineer
Engineer

Postby RobAust » Thu May 26, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi Ari, Petar and Blake,

A sincere thank you to yourselves for today, truly an inspiring effort. You have an unsurpassed enthusiasm and passion for rocketry, space and Queensland Rocketry Society (QRS), it is no doubt the kids / teachers were glued to every word you spoke.

I am unsure as to really had the most fun through our time at the school; 90 Students, their teachers, Pete, Blake or yourself......

I recieved a great thank you message from the Teachers and they will be proposing to submit a few teams for the upcoming AYRC Contest. They were hoping for a small insight into rocketry and space and were delivered so much more, you hit this one out of the park.

My camera is playing up, Austin's teacher will forward me the photo's from the day and I will post these. You guys made the School and Parish Newsletter....

A true contribution to our hobby and our community.

Kind regards and sincere thanks from an inspired Dad,

Rob Winchcomb
Rob Winchcomb
QRS# 053
QRC# 052
TRA# 12746 (L2)
CAR# S1090 (L3)

RobAust
Engineer
Engineer

Postby RobAust » Thu May 26, 2011 11:12 pm

Hey Ari,

After wrestling with the camera I managed a few pics.

1) Launch Prep

2) It's away

3) The team

More to follow.

Regards,
Rob Winchcomb
QRS# 053
QRC# 052
TRA# 12746 (L2)
CAR# S1090 (L3)

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Fri May 27, 2011 12:52 pm

Thank you Pete and Rob for those kind comments. It is a great way to spread the word about our awesome hobby ! :D

I must say Rob those photos are fantastic, you get a great feel of being there with the students at the launch and the photos of us as a group.....everyone has a big grin on their dial so must be good. :lol:

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:43 pm

I have just returned from a school visit from Miami Primary and it sure is a nice part of the world ! :D

The weather was perfect with cloudless sky and no wind to speak of. There were around 100 students and 6 teachers in attendance. The presentation was really well received and the Q/A time would have gone for ages so we had to put a limit to it. It just shows interest on the subject. :)

Launch was perfect as was recovery and the it's so good to see the reaction from students who have never seen a live rocket launch close up. 8)

At the end we watched the DVD and it sure was well received.

These guys are keen to get involved with AYRC and hope to get a team together. :wink:

On a side note, there was a 9 year old boy who had melanoma removed from his upper arm just recently ! Note, a 9 year old ! :(

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:01 pm

There will be a display and talk at Chapel Hill State Primary ( Ironbark Rd) on the 21st of July at 10am. :)

Anyone who might have a break on the day is more than welcome to give a helping hand. :wink:

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Lunar_Rendezvous
Rocket Flyer
Rocket Flyer

Postby Lunar_Rendezvous » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:36 pm

I'm available most Tuesdays and Thursdays Ari, if you need an offsider send me a PM.

Mike.

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:36 am

Hey Mike,good to know. It's up to you really if you want to attend, it's great to have company and to rep. QRS. :D

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Return to “School and Organisation Visits”