QRS Inc. Calendar for 2012

School and other organisation visited from rocketry clubs.

Moderator: Moderators

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Re: QRS Inc. Calendar for 2012

Postby october sky » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:10 pm

Tarragindi display is now done and dusted ! It went really well and there is one thing I will never get tired of seeing...those young eyes wide open when they see and hear about rockets...it is just so good ! 8)

There was 65 kids present and 5 teachers and this was after school care group as the kids are on school holidays at the moment.

There was quite a bit of wind when it came to launch but it went really well and recovery was also quite close. :D
QRS Inc. NO: 003

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:51 pm

On Wednesday the 13th of March at 3.30pm I was at Wilston State School after school care with around 100 grade 3-7's in attendance to hear about rocketry !

Students were again so well behaved and took it all in with excitement as only kids can.

The DVD's shown kept the students going with "ooh's and ahh's" followed by a launch....all loved it !

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

str8up
Children, today we're going to learn about space
Children, today we're going to learn about space

Postby str8up » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:58 am

one teacher, ex rocketeer couldn't believe how far the hobby had advanced and said he can't now wait to start again !

Hey Ari, That was August last year - look what you have gone and done to me - the bank balance will never be the same again.
Sort of blows you brain when you haven't played for 20 years - and back then with those BIG powerful "D" motors - and then Ari rocks along with his gear.
The biggest kid at school that day was me. And by the way Ari quite a few of the kids regularly ask about rockets and have I launched recently and what am I building next. Foster the interest.

Warren

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:25 pm

That is so great to hear Warren....it sure has come a long way and you have made such fast progress mate ! :D

Ps. You are right....bank balance will be effected but hey...what a ride... :lol:

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

october sky
Human GPS
Human GPS

Postby october sky » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:10 pm

I have just returned from Boonah State Primary School which is over 1.5hrs drive south/west from Brissie. Beautiful country side around there with mountain ranges all around. :D

I spoke to year 6/7 students ( around 45 students) and again it was amazing to see the attention span of the students when the subject is of interest to them. They were so well behaved..hat's off to them and their teachers. :wink:

After the Q/A time we watched the OZ Area 51 DVD and naturally seeing a big rocket like that being launched got a great response from all the students and the teachers present.

Thank's to Anne Reardon who has been doing fantastic work on getting schools involved in rocketry, they will be sending a team or two this year to Australian Youth Rocketry Challenge......that is just awesome news. I was so happy to see that there were two girls from grade 5 actually who were so keen on getting into building and launching rockets ! :mrgreen:

Then we launched the rocket on the football field which was not overly big and surrounded with a lot of trees. The whole school of 260 students came to see this. There was no wind and I used the streamer to bring the rocket down quicker. It went straight as an arrow....streamer deployed as planned and it only drifted about 30 meters ...just enough for the tip of the tree branch to grab it.. :roll:

It was high up too...we tried throwing a tennis ball with a string attached to it...not heavy enough to reach due to string drag...stone...that worked well...doesn't matter how we shook the branch and even got a heavier rope up there..the tree held on....they are calling to local fire dep. to get it down..... :lol:

Life Member

TRA #11616 L3

Return to “School and Organisation Visits”